“Hotel has style and friendly staff”

Natural Bridge Park Historic Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Natural Bridge
Elkton
“Hotel has style and friendly staff”
Reviewed 31 July 2010

What a pleasure to stay at a family friendly hotel that has a personal style rather than a national chain. The staff were all very welcoming and interested in helping us enjoy our visit. They took the time to ask us where we were from and what we liked to do - then suggested activities that we might enjoy. When we commented that we enjoyed the house wine they let us know that it was produced locally. (Hmmm...maybe a wine tour would be fun the next time we visit here.) We stayed in a basic room and signed up for one of the entertainment packages that was a great value. The package included a free breakfast which was an extensive buffet that included eggs, meats, hot and cold cereals and fruits, rather than the usual continental that is included at many chains. The local activities were varied and fun for everyone. We especially liked the history of the Natural Bridge, the nature walk to the falls and the educational Indian village. This is a great destination for a quick relaxing get-away.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Brevard, NC
Reviewed 18 July 2010

As first timers we were unsure what to expect. This beautiful hotel, though older, is immaculate and charming. The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. The free bountiful breakfast and delicious dinners were out of this world. The on-site attractions (natural bridge, caverns, museums, waterfall) make this the ideal place for a holiday vacation.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Fort Belvoir
Reviewed 11 July 2010

This was a basic three-star hotel. I would say the location is what initially drew us to make the choice to stay here. However, we had exceptional service by both the front desk staff and the restaurant staff. The rooms are your standard, run of the mill, three-star quality. The room we stayed in had two double beds, with a bathroom that had two sinks and a tub with a shower. Nothing special. We did, however, enjoy the fact that the "Natural Bridge" was just a short walk from the hotel, along with all of the other amusements on site (wax museum, caverns, indian village, nature walk, etc.). We also enjoyed the new Saturday dinner buffet, with its exceptional service. Free parking and internet service were definite perks!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa139
raleigh nc
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Old hotel but my kids went wild when they saw it. Very clean and old Americana charm. We had an absolute ball The bridge, wax museum and dinoland next door.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
harrisburg, PA
Reviewed 15 June 2010

First of all, be careful of the 72 hour cancellation policy. It was not told to me before I booked the room, and as I was travelling a great distance and didn't want to go as far as I had thought, I called to cancel. Surprise! They were happy to cancel the reservation, but as I a was about to hang up, they mentioned I would be charged anyway. I ended up pushing through and did stay there that night.

Arriving at night, the hotel looked pretty. Lights around the archways made it look welcoming.

The front desk staff was nice enough - not overly friendly, but not rude either. There was coffee (but not tea - would it be so hard to have a carafe of hot water and a tea bag available too?) set up in the lobby in the morning.

The hotel was elegant in an outdated old-fashioned way. The dining room was pretty, but I didn't eat there. There is a bar, but when I got there at 9:30 pm, one of the employees was sitting blocking the entrance and even though it was open, it was not inviting to go in since she didn't move when I went to look in. The lobby was huge and kept up OK. It did look like some things had been recently painted, but in a sloppy manner. The carpets are old and whether they are clean or not, they look dingy. The elevator doors clanged and rattled each time they shut. Long halls without much decoration so what do you look at? The carpets. The bedroom again had those yucky carpets. There was a small TV with the aforementioned 20 channels. The remote worked with a bit of effort. The bathroom was very nice - perfectly clean, nicely tiled, soft-enough towels. The worst part was the bed. The mattresses had to be the cheapest ones ever made, feeling like they were covered with plastic. Luckily, I can sleep on anything and it was comfortable enough for me. The sheets were clean, but very thin. I tried not to think about the old blankets and bedspreads.

Recommendations - new carpets, nicer mattresses, new sheets, blankets and bedspreads. Tea in the lobby. Those things would make a world of difference.

Pros - I had a beautiful view from my 3rd floor window and it was so convenient to be right across the street from the Natural Bridge.

Would I recommend it? If I definitely wanted to stay in this exact area, it certainly looked like the best of the available choices. I'm sure for some people this would be a classy choice, but these would be people who don't travel much and have not seen many hotels. Indeed, many people do seem to like the place - there were 2 weddings and 2 family reunions booked and no available rooms the day before I was there (according to the front desk). It gives the impression of being elegant at first glance. I can't submit this review without checking yes or no to whether I recommend below, so I'm going to say yes based on IF you want to be close to the Natural Bridge site. If you are only traveling through, go to another exit. I was interested to see the Natural Bridge, so that is why I initially chose this hotel. (I'll write a review of that on the appropriate page.)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank francetravel
Victorville, California
Reviewed 4 June 2010

I was hesitant to stay at this hotel after some of the reviews I had read but, everybody has their opinions so decided to stay anyway. The hotel is not as bad as it's made out to be.

This is a beautiful old hotel which I did love staying at. Yes, the elevators are a little slow but, that's ok. I wasn't in a hurry. The location is unbeatable!! We loved the Natural Bridge! What a beautiful place that God created! Our only disappointment was that by the time we got there, the indian village had just closed but, that was ok. I did feel that the room could have been a little cleaner or updated but I saw no bugs crawling around or anything. Betty at the front desk was VERY helpful! I had actually found a tick on me (which I am not used to being from So Cal) and she helped me with that problem. : ) Drove into Lexington for dinner and that is a quick drive. Lots of places to eat and a nice little town to visit.

Breakfast was decent- much better than other hotels I've stayed at.

I would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank Carrie1976
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 10 May 2010

I ate here on Mother's Day with my family. It was full of the after church crowd. The food was somewhat unimaginative and quite disappointing for the $25 per person price tag. The salad dressings on the bar were thousand island, french, ranch and creamy Italian. Need I say more? The prime rib was overcooked, the veggies were overly soft and there seemed to be no fresh herbs anywhere in sight. The deserts consisted of rubbery pies and a huge bowl of fake cream product to top it all off. It was a little like a covered dish supper from the 1970s. We didn't know about a cute little stone cafe serving hotdogs, sandwiches, beer, soda, etc. down on the stream at Natural Bridge. It is surrounded by nature and very inexpensive. I would have surely opted for a nice breakfast somewhere else and then a nice fresh air lunch by the stream over the overcooked, overpriced buffet at the Natural Bridge Hotel. It was waaaay too stuffy for my taste and the food lacked quality.

Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
#6 of 16 in Lexington
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#10 of 16 in Lexington

Been to Natural Bridge Park Historic Hotel? Share your experiences!