“Amazing Rock Formation close to Interstate”

The Natural Bridge of Virginia
More attraction details
Owner description: Striking? Majestic? Visit the monumental National Historic Landmark & discover why photos don't do it justice, nor words describe it, and why the awe-struck Thomas Jefferson bought it. Follow the creekside trail to Lace Falls. Gather around Interpreters in the Monacan Indian Village. Make it a brief visit, or a day, or overnight on-site; packages available. Just 15 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway; off I-81, exits 175 & 180.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Located a short drive off I-81, this is a good sidetrip to take when passing thru on I-81. As seen in other reviews, the entrance fee can be alittle pricey, there's a small discount if you're military or a AAA member. The initial welcome center has bathrooms, a gift shop, a soda/ice cream stand, and there's a small play area in the basement with 2 slides for kids. While the welcome center doesn't have any wow-factor, the walk down the 100+ stairs to the river is quite nice. The paved path snakes along with the stream next to it under the cover of trees. Be advised though, the path by the stream is not handicap or stroller accessible, you can cutout this section of the walk and simply take three free shuttle that runs every 10-15 minutes from the welcome center to the walkway on the river. Once off the stream path/stairs, you're on the riverwalk. There's also a small restaurant with burgers/fries/cold drinks there at the river level.This is also where a site official will check your tickets, so be sure to have the ticket/receipt out once you're on the river walk.

As you walk towards the bridge it comes into view quickly. It's a majestic site and something you would never imagine in Virginia. Peaceful site with a great view of the natural bridge. There are benches available as well as numerous employees that can/will talk you thru what you're seeing. Absolutely worth a visit if you're passing thru. Did it on a roadtrip and only needed about 1 hour for it. It's a good rest-stop too.

For those in wheelchairs, using strollers for kids, and/or not good with stairs. It's best to just take the free shuttle from the welcome center down to the river walk, it's a very short ride and is free. Can also take it back to the welcome center after you're done sightseeing.

During the hotter months, it's a good idea to wear sunscreen, shades, and a little bugspray.

3  Thank Traveler O

Reviewed 5 August 2014

An amazing site the grounds and gift shop are really nice. The way to the bridge is like a walk back in time. Their is a shuttle for those who can not walk well. It is a short walk to the bridge after the shuttle leaves you off. You walk under this a amazing natural bridge that has been cut out from a river that ran many years ago. You actually drive across the Bridge on route 11. You would not know it unless you were told. There is an Indian village and a trail to a water falls. I saw the Indian which was very interesting. I did not take the trail to the falls. There is also a Wax Museum there that I will see next time. All in all it is fun for the young and old. There is some walking involved. Plenty of benches to stop sit and rest to view the site

1  Thank RobertF53
Reviewed 4 August 2014

At first, I was a little hesitant on the price to enter the park, but as soon as I saw the Natural Bridge, that all went out the window. This place is beautiful. After you purchase your tickets, you walk down stairs to what used to be the butterfly exhibit. Then, you walk out the door where you are given the option to call a shuttle to take you down, or take the stairs. We opted to take the stairs down for the "scenic route." The walk isn't so bad on the way down! As soon as you get to the bottom, you hand the worker your ticket and enter. They have a nice little food court if you're hungry which is also equipped with fans to cool you down. We got there later in the day so it was closed, but I wasn't hungry anyways! We were very grateful however for the soda machine which contained bottles of water which were $2.00 apiece. Next, the Natural Bridge comes into view and you are blown away. I had seen pictures before we arrived, but they did not do this place justice. It is absolutely gorgeous. You can't take your eyes off of it. And the history behind it makes it even more spectacular! I mean George Washington scaled the one wall, and at one point in time, Thomas Jefferson owned the Natural Bridge and the surrounding land. After we passed the Bridge, we walked to the makeshift Indian Reservation. Again, we arrived later in the day so it was closed, but I still got to see it up close. After the Indian reservation, you can choose to walk to the waterfall or sit on one of the benches and take in the Bridge. We chose to walk to the falls. It is a little bit of a walk, but the scenery you see makes you forget the walk. There's a cave over a bridge you can walk up to, but it was blocked off so we couldn't really go in it, but still very neat. You then walk past a mystery river (I forget what it's called) but it's an underground river with no source as to where the water is coming from. They've even sent down colored water and rafts from different places, only to find out that they do not lead to this "mystery river." So interesting. After that, you reach the water fall. It was beautiful, but I think it's probably better when there's more water running through. While we were at the falls, we seen a snapping turtle down below eating his dinner. On the walk back we also saw a water snake hanging out in the water. It was great. We also chose to come back at 9:00 to see the light show that started at 9:30. That was pretty awesome too, although it was a little drawn out. It was still great to see all the gorgeous lighting on the bridge and to hear the story of creation. After the light show, the line for the shuttle back up to the parking lot was outrageous, so we chose to walk instead. It was a little tiring, but way faster than waiting for the shuttle. All and all I would for sure recommend this place to anyone. You can look at the pictures, but you need to see it in person. It is a spectacular sight for all ages!!

3  Thank Erika R
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I live in northern VA and never had a reason to drive the 4 hours down to see the Natural Bridge. So when we were heading by there on our way to TN, we took the opportunity to stop by.

I was a little taken back by the price to walk down from the visitor center to see it though. If they had lower kids' prices, it'd make it more palatable. Still, glad we got to see it. There's also a wax museum there (separate fee) that we did not go to.

If you're just visiting this on your way to somewhere else, I recommend you continue your hike only to the little indian village setup they have, but don't bother walking all the way to "the falls." You'll be disappointed if you're expecting anything close to what I consider to be a waterfall.

4  Thank Ben P
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is a lovely 3/4 mile walk on paved walks. Wheelchair & stroller accessible. There is a park guide at the bridge to give a short talk about the history. Saw many birds along the walk. Had a small picnic area before walking the trail. If the walk is too much, there is a shuttle that will take you too the bridge. HUGE souvenir shop at visitors center.