“Not ready for prime time for a large event”
Review of The Mark Addy

The Mark Addy
Ranked #1 of 1 Nellysford B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia
“Not ready for prime time for a large event”
Reviewed 1 October 2007

My family and I stayed at the Mark Addy the last weekend of September for a wedding. First off, the property is beautiful, especially in early fall. The inn itself has a lot of charm, the rooms that I saw (there are many!) were well appointed and very clean. The dining area was romantic and fairly spacious.
However, it became apparent that the inn keepers, while charming and welcoming, were not prepared for large numbers of people, and the food preparation left a lot to be desired. We arrived at the inn for the rehersal dinner, and filled the dining area to capacity. The courses were small and spaced widely apart, timewise, and cold by the time many of them were served. I was a little disappointed with the quality of food since I had heard and read so many rave reviews, but chalked it up to inexperience in serving such a large group. They also ran out of the filet option and the innkeeper had to run through the group to find volunteers to change their choice.
Unfortunately, this proved to be the norm for the remainder of the weekend. After a rather disappointing "three-course" breakfast of blueberry bread (which was delicious) fruit cup, a lump of raisin oatmeal (cold) and a stone cold tiny slice of quiche, we prepared for the wedding and reception.
I can honestly say I have never been so disappointed by food served at a reception. It was a series of appetizers that were served to each table on a plate to be passed around.
The first- extremely dry bread and olives. The second, cold meatballs and cold (yuck) frittatas. All of the above was extremely sparse, but so unappetizing that no one at our table really ate any.
The final course which was served about two hours after the second, was cold meat kabobs.
If that wasn't bad enough, there was a buffet dinner served at $40 a head that consisted of dry chicken in a cream sauce, steak, overcooked shrimp, some unappetizing vegetables, and rice. Once again, they ran out of steak (the bride didn't get any!) and recycled the dried out kabobs they had served at lunch as compensation!
We didn't bother to stay for the "three course" breakfast the next day which consisted of fruit cup, waffles and bacon (which had been cooked the night before!)
In addition, we had to make a run 5 miles down the road to a gas station for water and soda, since none was available at the inn, with the exception of the reception, for a fee, of course. I might want to point out that one will spend a minimum of $169 per night for the smallest rooms.
I took my family to a restaurant on the way home so they could recoup from starving all weekend.
I can see how with a small group or individuals the meals would probably have been better, but it was apparent that the innkeepers were just not prepared for a full house and a total of 100+ guests.
I will say the employees, who seemed to be working from dawn until late night, worked their tails off, and were extremely helpful to the best of their abilities.
No wedding ever goes off without a hitch, in my opinion, but I wouldn't want to book a wedding or event at this inn.

• Liked — The beautiful area and grounds
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
20 Thank calliach
RafaelTal, Owner at The Mark Addy, responded to this review, 19 October 2007
Dear Mr. Calliach,
First, let me apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment caused to you during your stay. I would like to take this opportunity and respond to your comments.
First, from your report, I couldn't be sure whether you were a paying-staying guest with us or just visited as an invited guest to the wedding.
Second, I regret you did not enjoy the food. For your information, the food selection for the wedding reception and the rehearsal dinner was suggested and ordered by the wedding party, and they provided some of the recipes to us. Furthermore, the bride and her partner came for a tasting to approve the food and its quality prior to the event. The rehearsal dinner selection offered Chateaubriand (and not fillet Mingion as you mentioned), Chicken Provence in Wine sauce or Salmon in Champagne Sauce. The hosting party provided the quantity for each entrée selection to us, in advance. Unfortunately, by the time the food was served some individuals changed their mind, which may have caused to a shortage in the Chateaubriand selection. In addition 4 additional guests were added at the last minute and the bride asked us to accomodate.
Your remarks regarding the breakfast are well taken. In most cases our patrons are raving about our breakfast, but your description of the breakfast comes a bit short. Our breakfast offers a selection of baked goods followed by a fruit dish and a main course which includes an egg dish (in you case this 'stone cold tiny slice of quiche') which was a quiche Lorain or spinach quiche, with a breakfast type meat, and a starch dish which might be potatoes, grits or any other.
Your insulting remarks in reference with the food served at the reception, while well taken but totally disagreed, should be addressed to the bride her partner who carefully chose the recipes, provided them to us, tested and approved them.
The bread assortment was freshly baked bread and pita bread; the olives selection was hand picked Greece olive selection in olive oil; Neither the meatballs, nor the ‘frittatas’ were cold and ‘yuck’. I will be much more careful when describing food. Do not forget that there are millions starving in the world while you are making such comments…
For your information, the food came out in accordance with the instruction of the bride and her partner, which instructed us when each dish should come out.
I am really sorry you did not enjoy the dinner buffet, which to my understanding was the only thing and item you had to pay for during your stay. Your description of the food, (again) is insulting, untruthful and vindictive in its nature. I will not spend the time to apologize for such a critic. You can read my answer I wrote to your friend CeVaJay.
Your remarks in regards with the second breakfast should have not been allowed to be printed since they are hear say due to the fact you did not participated.
Your comments regarding the soft drinks are incorrect. In addition to the soda varieties we always offer water, sweetened and unsweetened ice tea, orange juice, cranberry juice, ginger ale, tonic water and soda water.
I do not know where are you taking your pricing information, but prior to publishing it I suggest you verify the information with the appropriate source in lieu of providing false and misleading information to the entire nation.
In summery, let me apologize again for your displeasure; But at the same token and since we are taking all complaints very seriously, we took the liberty and discussed this issue with the bride and some other guests which were all happy, pleased and satisfied with the food quality, accommodation and the owners and the employees
As the bride mentioned to me when we met 3 days ago, "I do not understand why someone who is a guest of mine will post something like this, after all, he was a guest, did not have to pay for anything, We paid for everything and we were very pleased.
It is my humble opinion, Mr. Calliach, you owe an apology to the bride her partner and their immediate families for your critical evaluation of their wedding, which they worked and planned so hard.
I hope your wedding or any such event will be as successful as this one was.
Rafael Tal, Owner, the Mark Addy Inn B&B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Sandston VA
Reviewed 4 September 2007

This place is a must if you are looking for a great getaway. From the moment you arrive, Leslie & Rafi (owners) make you feel like you are staying in your own little getaway spot. The food was fabulous!!!!! The most relaxing setting. The inn is beautifully decorated. The entire staff goes above & beyond to make sure you are comfortable & all your needs are met or exceeded!! The only thing that was wrong with the weekend was we did not eat dinner there both nights. (also left the camera at home) We are just counting the days until we can get away to the Mark Addy again......Thank you so much Rafi & Leslie

Jon & Beth Beegle
Sandston, VA

• Liked — the freindliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RETQMC
Richmond, Va
Reviewed 20 August 2007

Well this is my girlfriend's and I first time staying at a B&B. I decided to take her to the Mark-Addy Inn and purchased the romantic packge deal in the Mary Virginia room. From the min. we got there to the min. we left, we had a wonderful time. It was our 1 year anniversary and I wanted to bring her somewhere different and elegant. Well I chose the right place.

We decided to go wine tasting on our first day there and the hosts gave us great tips and secrets to which wineries would be the best for us, since we were new to wine. In the morning before touring the wineries we had a delicious breakfast made up of quiche, fruit, sausage, and really good homemade muffins. After that we headed out to the wineries and had a great time at all of them. When we got back we were treated to a 5-star dinner at the Inn and spent the rest of the night having wine and talking with everyone on the front porch. From beginning to end this trip was great, nothing at all bad to say. We will def. we coming back and refering everyone we know.

• Liked — The hosts and the views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bauerah
Lynchburg VA
Reviewed 26 June 2007

Returned home a couple of days ago from The Mark-Addy. Back to reality.Before we walkd in we stopped to take in our surroundings. From the front we gazed out at the beautiful grounds.The fountain and the view of the mountains was the perfect setting for our tenth anniversary. Leslie greeted my wife and I as we walked in. We felt at home... but far away in our new surroundings. Our room was the Colonel. My wife loved it and I was glad I had chose it. The recliners and the bed were very comfortable. The shared balcony porch was a nice touch. I brought the Romantic Pkg. It included a wonderful, wonderful,did I say wonderful dinner. Rafi made the best Filet Minon and my wife the Lamb Chops. Perfect is the only word for the dining room, presentation,and the food. With Leslie, Stefanie,and Rafi The Mark-Addy helped make what my wife said was "The best anniversary we shared together". We will be back and I leave this Haiku for my new friends at The Mark-Addy
The Mark-Addy Inn
A great place to spend your time
They treat you so well

2 Thank TedthePoet
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 20 February 2007

The Mark Addy was our first Bed and Breakfast experience, and boy will our next Inn have something to live up to! We stayed in their Orient themed Mimosa room, and loved every minute of it.
This place boasts a gourmet breakfast each morning, and the option for dinner in the evening as well.

As soon as we walked into the place, we felt welcomed and were shown around the Inn as if it would be our new home. They even have a parrot to greet you at the front door!

The only cautions I might give someone staying here are that the place is a bit old and worn in some places. Our room was immaculately clean, and included comfy robes, and plenty of toiletries, but maybe could have used a fresh coat of paint on some areas of the walls. The bed was also a little firm for my liking, but its all what you are used to!

All in all I would totally stay here again. Especially if you keep in mind that the prices are so much cheaper than the wintergreen resort, and I can guarantee the hospitality is better.

• Liked — The Hospitality
  • Disliked — Bed was a little too firm
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alohadreams23
Washington, DC
Reviewed 17 December 2006

We went to the Charlottesville area for a winter weekend and found this hotel through the Washington Post. It was a recommended B & B and the website looked good so I booked it for two nights. I had called and received the answering machine-- realized when I got there that Leslie and Raf are very busy folks! ... so I booked on-line and got a near immediate confirmation for a room.

We arrived a little later than we had planned and drove up the driveway to see a stunning Italian fountain overflowing with icicles. My husband asked if it was real (yes!) ... a cat sat outside on the front porch making the whole scene a little surreal. It is a very relaxed and unpretentious environment... a plus for us-- we felt very comfortable there, like it was our own little country cottage, didn't feel like we had to tiptoe around the place.

It is very much away from city or suburb and we decided to eat in the Inn's restaurant for the evening meal-- a very wise choice. Everything on the menu looked appetizing and it was hard to choose what to order. It's very intimate, only a handful of tables, so everything is made to order by Raf himself. The meal was absolutely amazing-- succulent meat dishes cooked to perfection, nice Virginia wine to accompany them and tasty desserts (and dessert wine)... We practically had to roll ourselves up the stairs to get to our room afterward.

The room we had selected was the Abiner Smoothie, named for the last elegant bear. I expected more bears but it was fine. It was small but comfortable, warm, and had no shortage of hot water. Restful and cozy. If you need a large bed this isn't the room for you.... there are many others to choose from on the inn's website.
More food:
Breakfast is served promptly at 9am. There is a reason for this--- it is an extravagant multi-course event. We were welcomed with the best blueberry muffins I had ever tasted, followed by a fruit cup with cinnamon creme, a slice of quiche and exquisite grits with dried fruit and cinnamon. Really amazing. We disovered it's not a formulaic breakfast menu, the next morning we had eggs flourentine with Virginia ham, warm cinnamon grapefruit and crepes stuffed with blackberries and cream cheese. We didn't eat again until dinner.

I would definately go back to the Mark Addy. I have already recommended it to a handful of friends but don't tell too many people about this gem... I might not be able to get a reservation!

• Liked — The meals!
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KRoq
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 7 November 2006

My wife and I experienced the Mark Addy for our first wedding anniversary and it was something to remember...unfortunately not in a good way. It is sad to see such a beautiful house and surrounding grounds wasted.

A lack of hospitality permeated throughout the Inn and we never felt quite welcome. Although the room was clean, there was a lack of heat, especially when the temperature outside had fallen to 34 degrees. The breakfast was very simple and not gourmet as we were let to believe by the website and a telephone conversation when confirming our reservation. Just a plain breakfast that we could have received at any local diner in the area.

In conclusion, although the drive to the Mark Addy is quite spectacular during this season and the views are wonderful, in the end, we would have preferred another bed and breakfast or even a hotel room in Charlottesville. The heating problem combined with the low quality breakfast make this establishment overpriced and not worthy of its entry in the Select Registry of Distinguished Inns of North America.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — No heating
  • Tips/Secrets — Find another place
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
24 Thank LMandSS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nellysford
Omni Charlottesville
Iris Inn
#1 of 6 in Waynesboro
Orchard House Bed and Breakfast
The Inn at Sugar Hollow Farm

Been to The Mark Addy? Share your experiences!