“Great beds and linens but.....”
Review of The Mark Addy

The Mark Addy
Ranked #1 of 2 Nellysford B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Let's start off with the good:
Beautiful setting
Close to Wintergreen and all the wineries/cideries
Room was quaint and cozy
Shower pressure was great

The best part of the night was certainly the super soft linens and comfy bed

The not so good...
The bathroom needed some significant renovations
The breakfast was sub par for a B&B.
Nothing seemed fresh-
No fresh juice, fruit that was served came mostly from a can, coffee was weak, pastries seemed to be microwaved from a grocery store. And the English muffin which my eggs Benedict was made was not even toasted. It was cold!
If you love dogs, then you wont mind dogs running through the house barking and even being in the kitchen when breakfast is being made.

The owners seem to be smokers, meaning the smell of smoke permeates the house.

This place has lots of potential but fell flat in my eyes....
I would go back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank explorerlala

Reviewed 10 February 2014

My wife and I stayed 2 nights, and there were some really good aspects and some bad aspects to the Mark Addy Inn. First, the good. The house makes a good B and B, and it has a good location near skiing at Wintergreen, hiking nearby trails, the brew trail, and the vino circuit. The food at the Mark Addy was excellent. Breakfast was quiche with grits the first morning, and eggs benedict the next, with delicious breads/pastries. We also had dinner there one night; dinner only happens if there are 6 or more reservations. Dinner ambience was quiet, cozy, and the food excellent. It was a fixed price ($50 pp) for 4 courses with many choices. It was a great dinner from appetizers ( I had a crab cake) to entrée (I had salmon) to dessert (we both had coconut sorbet). The quality was first-rate, the dinner tasted great, looked great, all was great. Our room was the Mimosa, with beautiful east Asian décor, with a small bathroom but it had a nice claw tub equipped with shower. We peaked in other rooms and they also had nice décor. Our hosts were not the regular hosts/owners, as they were away, but were the owners’ son and daughter-in-law. They were friendly and were great hosts.

The bad aspects were apparent once checking into our room. The beautiful décor of the Mimosa was contrasted by a ceiling of many large water stains (apparently, the roof has leaked quite a bit), warping, and missing paint. There was an electrical receptacle that had sprung out away from the wall. The bathroom wall had the remnants of a fallen fixture; the bathroom didn’t need it, it just looked bad. The plumbing for the shower that ran up the wall from the tub had pulled away from its anchor to the wall and was just hanging. This probably didn’t help the leaking from the plumbing, which was enough to potentially cause consternation of the people in the room below. All of this needed repair could have been done very quickly, and would not have required the room to be off the market very long. Our room should not have been on the market until repairs were made. The foyer was another room that was “off” though it seemed intentional; it had a mix of wallpaper desperately in need of replacing and faux painted walls. A bit of kitsch artistry I guess.

The grounds had some nice features mixed with a junky look. A view from our bedroom was a bunch of extension ladders leaning against the deck. They could have easily been stored in or behind the rustic barn-like building. Other junk adorned the property, all of which could have been cleaned up in a short time. There was a porch with junk stored on it. Plus, there was a large motorhome parked or stored by the front; it was a nice looking motorhome, but it just didn’t belong at the front of the B and B.

These bad aspects could have just been temporary, and maybe we caught the place at a bad time, but there were a lot of them. The cost of the room was $129 per night, which is at the lower end of the spectrum for B and Bs in the area (around mid-VA- Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive), but not that low. Most, actually all, B and Bs we have stayed at in the area have been in a much better state-of-repair than the Mark Addy.

Would I return? Probably, just to see if things were fixed. Its location was good for us as we visited the frozen Crabtree falls and other local sites. Plus, I would for sure try their dinner again. If you aren’t too picky about appearance, then this place could be to your liking.

Suggestions to the proprietors: in addition to the repair upkeep issues, the rooms upstairs were too hot by many accounts; we slept with the window open in the winter and I hate the cold, the side kitchen needs an upgrade, and the number one suggestion is provide some drinks in the fridge or bottled water in the room; your place is too far out from conveniences to not have something available to drink for your guests. Of the ten other B and Bs in the area at which I have stayed, all have provided some form of beverage.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bloatedpig
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Once again our stay at the Mark Addy was just what I needed. A chance to relax and recharge. The front porch view of the mountains is so beautiful. The wine reception, dinner and breakfasts were delicious. Thanks again to Leslie and Raffi for making us feel welcome. It doesn't matter what season I visit, there is always something to do. The kids went skiing and I enjoyed checking out some wineries and even a new hard cider tasting. Thanks again for a great visit.

Room Tip: I love staying on the second floor. I try a different room each time I visit.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We loved this place. The room was great and very spacious. The staff was outstanding and saw to every need. Beautiful views of the mountains at sunset, loved having out own porch! Not enough nice things to say.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Diguru01
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We just spent the weekend at the Mark Addy Inn, as a fabulous family event for a "BIG" Birthday celebration, complete with adult children, grandchild and granddog.

What a fabulous time!

Leslie was delightful helping me plan the weekend, including babysitting one night. Dinner at the inn was delicious-- the filet pronounced the best ever by two really serious meat eaters. Breakfasts were, as usual, so very, very tasty. "As usual?" you ask? Yes. We stayed here before, to "test it out" for the celebration. A lovey time then, and we EASILY and HAPPILY decided to return for this big birthday, resplendent with family!

Oh! I didn't even mention the views (superb) or the ambience ( warm and inviting) or the staff (friendly and very helpful). Why would one ever consider staying in a standard hotel chain when the Mark Addy Inn is so close to the vineyards, wineries, hiking, sights and trails? No way! Next time we in nearby, it is The Mark Addy Inn for Us!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pat B
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The innkeepers, accommodations and dining at the Mark Addy Inn are as welcoming and relaxing as they appear to be in the Inn's promotional material. I needed a relaxing couple of days, and that was the experience I enjoyed. The breakfasts were delightful -- 3 filling courses beautifully presented and served by one of the innkeepers with great attention to keeping coffee cups filled -- and the view of the Blue Ridge on fall mornings was spectacular.
I stayed in Le Jardin room, which was spacious and superclean with a very good bed. My allergies to down and wool were accommodated with no fuss.
Numerous hiking opportunities are close by, and it would take way more than 2 days to visit all the nearby wineries and breweries.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

For a first time B&B experience things didn't go very smoothly, but that was a booking problem, not the fault of the Inn. We liked the staff. Exactly what was expected out of them. I'm going to be average on everything here, (except the location).
When I saw what I had to shell out for these 2 days (no online deals here) I was rather disappointed when we settled into the room. I'm not going to nitpick here, I just kind of feel ripped off.
So, if you're looking for above average B&B, do your homework first, and if you DO stay here, insist on the very best room at the cheapest price you can find and you should be happy.
If you do like we did and stay in a standard room it just isn't worth your bang for the buck.
To the Innkeepers, good luck with that place. Hope all goes well for the future travelers.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank John K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nellysford
Best Western Plus Waynesboro Inn & Suites Conference Center
Village Inn Motel
Village Inn Motel
#1 of 1 in Lovingston
The Inn at Sugar Hollow Farm

Been to The Mark Addy? Share your experiences!