“The Mark Addy "Dream about" Inn”
Review of The Mark Addy

The Mark Addy
Ranked #1 of 2 Nellysford B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Wow!!! Just got back from a fantabulous stay at the the Mark Addy Inn. It is truly a B&B with personality beyond belief. I had been looking for an out of the way spot when I ran across a Groupon advertisement/discount for a two-day stay at The Mark Addy. It was to be a surprise trip for my wife of 43 years. Had some minor scheduling problems (NOT A BIG DEAL) because one of the days I wanted had already booked. We just slid it back one day and celebrated early. };>)
Upon arrival was greeted by the innkeeper, Leslie. She made us feel like old friends coming back for a visit. (which we will in the near future). She showed us around the Inn, the 7 by 24 Guest kitchen and then to our room. The room we were in,The Kensington, faced the mountain range in front of the Inn, WHAT A VIEW. The room was clean and everything was working. [Sounds silly but after traveling over 35 years ,for business, having everything working is a plus]. Leslie explained that the AC unit could be adjusted to our liking or we could turn it off and open one of the windows (not the one with the window AC unit.) I guess that is enough about the room. (Go to the website to see the rooms)
Now let's talk about the food. Top of the menu gourmet!!. Our first day's breakfast began with a fruit cup (I really am not a fruit person) that I enjoyed immensely. It has two types of melon, strawberries, watermelon, and two kinds of berries, The main course was Eggs Benedict with the best blend of grits I have ever had. The grits had diced tomatoes (who would have thought to put tomatoes in grits), some spices, and something else. There definitely was no want for food at this meal. Unlimited coffee-my fuel. Fast forward to dinner in the Fountain Room. The meal started with an appetizer out of this world. a flaky pastry wrap of spinach served with feta cheese dip. I wish I could remember the name- but I'll never forget the taste. A mixed fresh greens salad was my next choice served with blue cheese. The main course- Salmon in a wine sauce over herb seasoned whipped potatoes. Still not convinced?? How about a chilled tiramisu with a fruity chocolate sauce. THAT WAS JUST THE FIRST DAY!!!
The second day began with a 'broiled grapefruit' with a cinnamon drizzle. I always thought fruit was supposed to be served cold. This was unbelievably delicious {remember, I am not a fruit person}. Did I mention the breakfast pastries? Well we had a cornucopia of choices. The main dish for day 2's breakfast was quiche- not just a plain quiche but one with sausage, cheese and several very mild spices to give it a slight kick. More coffee. Bottom line, the food at The Mark Addy Inn is fantastic.
The greatest part of the trip was the atmosphere. The Mark Addy Inn has a front porch that looks at the Virginia hills off in the distance. My wife and I sat there the first day we arrived and just absorbed the view. Coming from the Baltimore-Washington area, this was the best way to unwind. It is also a great location for visits to the various wineries within a fifteen mile radius of travel. We hit six of the wineries and availed ourselves of the wine tasting. It is best to split the wine tasting over at least two days otherwise you might not be able to return to the Inn.
Leslie and Rafi made us feel like family. Any one looking for a relaxing couple of days, this is the place to go.

Room Tip: Any room at The Mark Addy would be a great choice. Go to the web site to get a "true and accura...
1  Thank Mark S

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We recently stayed at the Mark Addy Inn in Nellysford, Va. and it was one of the nicest bed and breakfasts we have experienced so far. For years now we look for bed & breakfasts where ever we travel, as we find we enjoy them so much more then a stuffy hotel.. When we arrived we were greeted by one of the owner's children , who was very polite and helpful in getting us situated into our deluxe room, the "Tiger Lily". Wow is the first word that came to my mind. It exudes southern charm and comfort with a huge kingsize fluffy bed with exquisite decorations throughout the room. It was so comfy looking I just was tempted to lay all our luggage down and take a nap! The bedroom was one of the largest I have been in as far as bed & breakfast are concerned. It had a divided resting area with a tv, a large sofa, chairs, table, dressers and loads of windows with great lighting. On one table was a bottle of wine and truffles to enjoy during our stay. In the kitchen there were cookies and a goody jar filled with yummy candies of all sorts. My husband especially loved the little packaged M & M's! We were allowed to use anything in the kitchen we needed including the refrigerator, which was such a convenience to us.

The decor of all of the Mark Addy Inn was certainly done with love and careful planning . Many antiques are abound throughout the inn. We decided to take a tour of the outside and the first thing we saw as we stepped out on their huge porch was the view! Their is a beautiful fountain surrounded by water and flowers and right beyond the fountain is the gorgeous scenery of the Blue Ridge Mountains! Absolutely breathtaking! The outside surrounding the inn was well kept up with flowers and trees to make the inn even more inviting. They have several gardens that they actually grow vegetables in for use in their preparation of food they serve there. Talking about food! My mouth waters just thinking about the wonderful food Leslie and her staff prepare for their guests. Not your normal scrambled eggs but gourmet breakfast at it's best!

Leslie suggested some places of interest to go visit that were nearby, like wineries and Walton's Mountain, but we just wanted to spend time at the inn as much as possible, it was that inviting. We missed leaving our dog behind but Leslie has several little pups that gave us lots of attention, which made her place seem even more of a homey atmosphere. Wifi is supplied at the inn so we relaxed in the late evening watching a couple shows on tv and using our cell phones to catch up with our children at home.

Leslie was an excellent hostess and innkeeper and we look forward to returning to her lovely home.

Room Tip: This was a bed and breakfast , not a hotel so the above questionaire was hard to answer to. If you...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cricketanne
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had a lovely time at The Mark Addy Inn. Beautiful rooms, great food, and wonderful service! The view from the front porch is beyond lovely. My granddaughter loved the two little dogs that belong to the innkeepers! On the day we left, the innkeeper gave my granddaughter a clipping from one of her plants and we are happy to say that the plant is growing well. What a nice reminder of our stay!
Very nice, quiet location with easy access to wineries, antique shops, restaurants, and historic sites. Would love to go back!

Room Tip: All the rooms were large and well appointed. We had a room in the back on the second floor with acce...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were so pleased with our stay at The Mark Addy! They were very warm and welcoming and paid special attention to my many food allergies (I even got gluten free cookies)! Our room had just gotten a new bed, and we slept better than we have in any other hotel/inn. We enjoyed being in a location central to wineries and breweries, and were blown away by the food served at the Inn. We weren't even planning on dining in, but did so the first night and both said it was one of the best meals we've ever had (prime rib and filet)! Through our voucher we got a bottle of wine in our room, which we have kept as a souvenir of this trip. The owners were even part of a surprise- my engagement! They were so helpful and accommodating and pretty good at keeping a big secret! We will be back very, very soon, and can't wait to spend more time at The Mark Addy with Leslie & Rafael (and the dogs)!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Colonel and it was great!
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Couldn't have been happier with our stay at the Mark Addy. It was a stroke of luck that we came upon a Groupon right before our 29th anniversary and decided to give it a try. The list of reasons to stay there are many but here goes: Great location for wineries, breweries, hiking and scenic views. Very comfortable bed and a cozy, lovely room with a view and a connected porch. Double shower was like having a sleep number bed, large with a double head...loved it! Food was delicious and plentiful for breakfast (included) and we hope to return and have dinner in their lovely restaurant, The Fountain Room. The innkeepers, Leslie and Rafael were delightful, genuinely friendly, hospitable, and very informative. Little perks like a bottle of wine and truffles in the room added a nice touch. We certainly look forward to returning and enjoying another stay in this breathtaking area of the Blue Ridge Mountains at such a charming inn. And for those types of people who want a modern, pristine, hotel-like atmosphere, go elsewhere. This Inn has a character and beauty all its own, with enough modern conveniences (yes, there's WiFi) to keep you happy, but balanced with enough old style charm to make you feel at home away from home.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a couple nights with a voucher we purchased through travelzoo. Was not a bad experience, but I was not overly impressed nor was I left with a desire to return. Some positives: bed and linens were extremely comfortable, breakfast was very good, porch had beautiful view of the mountains. Some negatives: room was dusty and seemed like it could've been cleaned better, couldn't run air conditioner and hair dryer at same time (due to blowing a fuse), rooms/house could use some touch ups (wallpaper peeling, paint chipping, etc.), grounds seemed run down and could also use a little TLC, camper parked out front is not visually appealing...especially since it's one of the first things you see, smell of cigarettes in some of the common areas and hall. Overall this place is average. They do a decent job, but there is room for improvement in many areas. I did not feel like it is one of those places that strives to go above and beyond...which is what I look for. So, this is not somewhere I'd choose to return. But I realize that there are different expectations and standards and some of the negatives that I mentioned might not bother everyone.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank HGarrett
Leslie T, Owner at The Mark Addy, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

We are sorry and disappointed to hear that you did not like The Mark Addy. As owners, I can assure you that we work tirelessly to ensure that our guests feel welcome and are comfortable and that our home and grounds are in top shape. I just uploaded a few new garden pictures taken this week because we were a bit baffled as to what you found needing attention in the garden. Also, we are sorry the RV was temporarily parked out front during your stay but it definitely is not in the line of view from the house and does not disrupt magnificent views of the mountains from the inn. We have almost completed our permanent RV pad that will be available to future guest for "Glamping" (Glamorous Camping) and are very excited to be able to offer this added amenity! 200 years ago, when our home was built, the electricity was not a factor. In 1985 when the home was renovated to be an inn and electricity was upgraded, no one could have imagined the needs of 2014. If something like turning off an air conditioner while blow drying your hair is an issue for you, then perhaps The Mark Addy is not a suitable match for you. I do encourage readers to read the previous 19 reviews for others' perspectives on this beautiful historic property.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

A wonderful getaway B & B in the beautiful mountains of Virginia. Close to wineries and antique shops. I expected a good breakfast. What I received was outstanding: Eggs Benedict; brown sugar coted ham wedge; grits with mozzarella and fresh tomatoes; yogurt fruit cup. orange juice, coffee and breakfast breads. Wonderful and filling.

Room Tip: I was satisfied with our room, the Mimosa. I believe all rooms have a nice view. Get to know the o...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nellysford
Best Western Plus Waynesboro Inn & Suites Conference Center
Iris Inn
Iris Inn
#1 of 3 in Waynesboro
Orchard House Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Mark Addy? Share your experiences!