Hotel Tamarin
US$163
Aparthotel of Tamarin Ltd(Tamarin)(Great Value!)
US$375
US$358
Agoda.com
US$255
US$186
US$421
US$399
US$314
Sugar Beach Mauritius(Flic En Flac)
US$318
US$282
US$269
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
All reviewspublic beachgreat poolwhole weekdance floorbeach towelsthe general managerajayislandmauritiuskayaking
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I stayed here for work - for two weeks. It's three star and reasonably priced. It's on the beach - a public beach (which gives it more life than beached Europeans on the 5 star beaches from which locals are excluded) - with a great walk around the headland to flic-en-flac. Food is perfectly fine; after two weeks the repeats were not very noticeable. But every night there is great Jazz - really worth staying just for that. There are many islanders who come here to listen - which gives the place a more lively atmosphere. Would definitely come again, this time with the wife and kids

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank oconnorjustin
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Not sure what to expect but pleasantly surprised. It’s a budget Hotel so no bells and whistles but kept clean, friendly staff, free wifi, adequate food, nice pool, if you like jazz you will love the evening entertainment its and across the road from a public beach. Overall good value for money.
I did not see/hear any English speakers amongst the guests but had no issue communicating with the staff. I think most of the guests were French.
If I had a couple of gripes it would be that every drink ordered took ages to arrive and they seemed too keen to hand you the bill for them, It felt like they were trying to get rid of you. Also as its in a cul-de-sac the beach and a couple of shops are the only things close by so nowhere to go really except the Hotel without a trek or a taxi. Having said that I visited other places flic en flac for instance where the same would apply to the Sofitel, Hilton etc.

Room Tip: Overlooking the pool looks nice (maybe noisy although during my stay I did not see any children so did not apply) I was in a chalet at the back no view but quiet
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2012

rooms were kept very clean, good location, very friendly staff, tasty food and plenty of it! We used the dive club and enjoyed that experience, liked the live music nightly. Down side was the air conditioning wasnt great lucky for us the weather wasnt to unpleasant.. All in all an affordable option, we got a god deal (ask for their best price)

Room Tip: we went with standard 2nd floor, large room, sep toilet, ensuite, safe, tv, fridge, balcony, jheard the music at night but we liked that and it didnt go very late.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jane m
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I stayed at the Tamarin hotel in September 2009 for my what I wanted to be my retirement holiday! I went with Saga. They do not seem to use this hotel now and I know why! There are birds on the tables at breakfast eating the food. You get pestered by them all the time while sitting by the pool. The food is the same all the time and even when they have different country meals they seem the same. The rooms are a bit dated but there was no problem there. Saga rooms were supposed to be terrace only but mine and another lady had ours up one flight of stairs but that was not a problem. There is an awfull lot of noise at the week ends and the locals seem to gather on the beach for Sega dances. Beware of walking over the river as I went in up to my knees! Nearly had a fit! There is not much to do around the hotel, but I went for walks and found another beach quite some distance away. The beach is over the road from the hotel and beware of the flies on the beach. They are everywhere! The sunset is nice to look at and I liked the way the sun rise up over the mountains from my bedroom which did not have a sea view but a good balcony. I did not go to the evening entertainment so I cannot coment on that. I would not advise one to stay here unless they dont mind birds on their food and flies on the beach. There are no sun loungers on the beach. The waiters and waitresses were only young and most times they wanted to help me bring my plate to my table. As if I needed their help. But every one was frindly. That is one thing about the hotel. I did not travel in 20111 but 2009! This report is a bit out of date!

Room Tip: Rooms by the road are noisy
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I had to go to Mauritius on business,....... I know, but someone has to do it!
My customer chose this hotel for the price. Th hotel is clean, across a narrow road from a palmfringed beach and the food is very good without being 5star.
the staff are efficient and friendly the rooms basic with very old, small tv's and limited viewing, but the pool looked great, there is jazz live in the garden every evening and the atmosphere is quite romantic. most of the other gueasts were German/French middle class families and honeymooners and they all seemed very happy with the place. It is no La Pirrogue, but it serves a great niche and the experience was good. Sugar Beach is a near neighbour so the '"high life " is accessible I suppose if they accept day visitors,
I would use the Tamarin again if I go back to Mauritius.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business