“Not impressed”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Midelt
Auberge Jaafar Kasbaa Itto
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Midelt
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed here with Gecko Tours. Another tour group was staying maybe they got the better rooms. The bed sheets didn't seem clean there was dirt and hairs in the bed. The shower was cold and the toilet had issues flushing at times. Owner was friendly but staff didn't seem to happy. We had dinner there food was average, no apologies when we were short of 2 meals ordered. Begrudgingly one dinner appeared so 3 people ended up sharing 2 meals. Breakfast was average. Views were nice. Wouldn't have stayed here if I had a choice, but there isn't much else near by.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 April 2014

While this out-of-the-way place had some past charm, it is run down. Our room was a good size but missing light bulbs. The ensuite bathroom was tiny and the floor drained into the bedroom which soon flooded as there was no shower screen. The flood would have been worse if there was any hot water (we had short showers)! The beds were OK and the area was quiet.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 911JohnA13
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Intrepid Travel uses this location and our guide arranged for local Berber singer/dancers to perform. The rooms are old and run down and finding your room through the maze of corridors was a bit of a challenge. The room was cool but we had a portable heater to take the chill out. Rustic might be a good word for this Kasbaa.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elymusicman2015
Reviewed 16 January 2014

This place was hard to find. It was located 8.7km outside of city. We had a GPS but it was not shown in the map. No signs along the road and we stopped to ask locals a few times in the pitch black. The hotel and especially room was extremely run down and dirty. The blankets in the room were old, smelly and dirty. Shower was so disgusting that we decided not to take a shower in the morning. A ripped and dirty blanket was hung as a curtain in the room. Since they don’t have a heater, a portable radiator was offered. It was so old that one of the feet was broken, so it stood crooked. Its maximum heat was barely luke warm. We were so cold all night. Outlet- 3 outlets in the room but only one was working Breakfast- 2 piece of the same bread, jam, coffee with milk .. The worst breakfast ever and they charged 120 diram for two. Dinner- since they were in the middle of nowhere, we decided to eat there. They showed me a menu with no price then. We asked the price and I was told the food would be 50 DH (20+30) We ordered a bottle of house wine, Moroccan salad and couscous. Next morning, the dinner bill was 235 DH (wine 120, Moroccan salad 35DH, couscous 80DH) I asked them the detail and they showed me a different menu this time. The prices matched to the bill not what they said last night. I told them the price I was told but they acted like they didn't understand. What could we do? We paid the written price. They charged 30 DH for welcome tea. Everything was terrible. I would stay away if I had a choice.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Isha S
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Weird.
The only way to describe this place. A bit rundown, not well-maintained. A maze of rooms and corridors, gardens with plenty of vines and flowers. Great views from the roof. Quiet location.
Rooms : nothing special. And I mean nothing. Relatively clean.
Showers : warm water comes, eventually.
Beds : no bedbugs, or other creepy-crawlies.
On the positive side : great potential.
A lick of paint, a few handymen (or women) could uplift this place to make it a top location.
The food was alright, nothing out of the ordinary.
Check if you can get local Berber singers/dancers to perform. That experience will make you never forget this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank KotR
Reviewed 20 June 2012

It was friendly enough but luckily we were travelling in a large group or we would have felt very isolated. It is in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. Our Berber guide took us through the village which was a great experience.

Beautiful mountain views. I am sure this place must have been special in its day. Beds very saggy and squeaky, not that comfortable. Tried to ignore that the shower looked like a converted squat toilet!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lee M
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I am fairly well travelled and have stayed in a number of different places, paying a range of prices and my husband and I both agreed that it is probably the most bizarre place we have ever stayed in (and we have stayed in a art deco hotel in Dalat where each room is designed as the room of an animal...)

The good points - fantastic views, out of town location, Midelt is a good stopping point between Merzouga and Fes, friendly and helpful staff, large hotel with bags of character and a real "real life" experience, our room was bright and cheerful

And now for the eccentric/bad points. To be fair our experience may have been partly affected by three large tour groups staying there, which (in my opinion) never makes a good start to a hotel's ambiance.

1) We only had a choice of 2 rooms as the other (presumably better) rooms were already taken - one room was dank, dark and smelt mouldy, and the other was bright and airy with fabulous views - can you guess which one we chose?

2) They couldn't find a key to fit the lock on our door - they did try more than 8 keys, but none of them fitted... we thought this might not be an issue as we were in one of the tower rooms and to get there you needed to get up onto the roof, duck under the satellite dish wires, climb over a ledge and then duck / limbo under a series of vines. We thought this would deter other people from coming to the room, but at least twice during our stay people arrived at our room and came in expecting it to be empty, walked straight in. It was the only place we used our travelsafe during our 10 days in Morocco.

3) The food was not great - an overdressed salad, a veg tagine which was made with meat stock and I chose the creme caramel - which was one of those ones you get in a pack of 4 from a supermarket. The breakfast was bad - the bread was nice, but the croissants were stale - cut in half I thought one was a piece of baguette....)

4) The characters in the hotel, whilst friendly were also wierd - one person kept addressing my husband with random phrases in German, and another continually asked him for cigarettes

5) We chose this hotel as it had a pool. The pool is an above ground pool - you need to climb some steps to get to it, and once up there you have a surround of about 50cm all around the pool to leave your clothes/towel etc. There is nowhere to relax near the pool... you need to go through the dining room to get to any of the courtyards. The pool also looked very green - despite the heat we chose not to swim!

6) They said that the hot water in our room would come but we would have to run the water and wait. We waited for 5 minutes and still no hot water so showered in cold water. When we came back an hour later the bathroom and our room was flooded so much it was running out of the door.

7) The tour groups dominated the dining room, so that we and another couple were perched on tables between them. It was not exactly conducive to us staying up long, so we went to bed early. The tour group then went on to have a very noisy night - with drumming from 9pm until midnight - I had earplugs and am slightly deaf, but my husband was kept awake until midnight by it.

All in all for the price we paid, I reckon there are much nicer and better value places in Morocco (Auberge le festival in Todra Gorge for one). However, I would not know if there are better places to stay in Midelt as the other places seemed rather bland.

It does have potential - sorting out some of the cooking issues, providing locks for the rooms and better plumbing would mean that we would have had an eccentric but enjoyable stay, marred by the tour groups. As it was, I would not be looking to return (although if you are trekking in the area it is probably worth while due to it's location)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Trurzy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midelt
Kasbah Asmaa
Hotel Restaurant Bougafer
No photo provided
Villa Pomme d'Or
#3 of 9 in Midelt

Been to Auberge Jaafar Kasbaa Itto? Share your experiences!