“Great hotel, beautiful location”

La Sultana Oualidia
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Oualidia
UK
“Great hotel, beautiful location”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We had an absolutely lovely stay here. The hotel's room rate IS pricey but the setting and service are exceptional. It was difficult to fault our stay from start to finish. The restaurant and SPA are reasonably priced for a 5* hotel and are of a very high standard - we didn't intend to but we ate at the hotel every night we were there and for lunch as well and everything was excellent. We were lucky enough to have the place almost to ourselves for one of our days - I get the impression midweek is far far quieter than the weekend.

The jacuzzis on the terraces are brilliant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

my husband and I stayed at this wonderful small luxury hotel to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. It was superb - a beautiful setting overlooking a lagoon, first class accommodation, delicious food and the most charming staff we have met anywhere. Every single member of the hotel made us welcome with open smiles easy conversation and constant enquiries as to how they could help us enjoy our stay. We picnicked on the beach, had dinner in a private Berber tent on the beach, kayaked and boated on the lagoon and sat by their glorious infinity pool overlooking the sea. It was absolutely perfect and we shall return.

Room Tip: We stayed in Pirogue which was lovely but there is a room called The Tree House which looks fantasti...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alyson N
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was the perfect spot for us as we wound down our 15 day stay in Morocco. It was quiet and comfortable and was lovely. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Upon checking in we had a lovely lunch under the sails at the beachfront looking out to the Atlantic Ocean. Our room was on the top floor, the Pirate Room with a private elevator, 2 decks, 4 canons and an amazing view. Dinner was lovely in the restaurant. A beautiful salt encrusted whole fish backed and then filleted at the table. The sunset was stunning and the fresh local oysters were amazing. There is a wonderful infinity pool for lounging around. The only regret was that we could not stay longer here and explore more.

2 Thank 155019David_M
Marrakech, Morocco
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I had the chance to stay for 3 nights at La Sultana Oualidia in beginning of April after spending few days in Mazagan and it was the best thing I have done. Tho my stay in Mazagan was good but since I was looking to charge my batteries and relax La Sultana Oualidia was exactly what I needed and was looking for (regret not staying there longer). The Hotel is amazing, beautiful, calm, has great breath-taking views and the cherry on the top is the staff starting from Khalil the manager who is always there for you and anticipates your requests to Nabil, Meriama, Masoud & Yasmina for their welcome, big smiles &great help in organizing everything for me. Big Thank you to the Chef who never let me down and kept always surprising me with his delicious creations without forgetting the wonderful & professional staff that served me and always helped me pick the right dish. Everything and everyone was just amazing but my favorite place in La Sultana Oualidia would still be the Spa. The girls (Especially Najwa) have hands of angels, I did not find anything I didn't like in any of my treatments (and believe me I had a lot and I am quiet picky when it comes to Spa treatments). It just made my trip more wonderful and gave me the perfect ending to my holiday.
Thank you all for making my holiday so special and I hope to be back very soon.
Afaf Z, Stayed in Prao

Room Tip: The high your room category is the best view you would have from your terrace. Tho all and each room...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Thedesertqueen
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Simply a great place to do as much or as little as you want. The hotel and surroundings are beautiful and (seemingly) effortlessly comfortable with excellent service in all areas of the hotel. Being the first trip away from our children in over 2 years we spent much time enjoying the peace and quiet, lying by the pool, or on the terrace watching the wading birds on the lagoon (don't forget to take your binos)!

But we also had a great time quad biking on the sand dunes and surfing. Conditions were perfect for both us, my husband being reasonably confident on a board, and for me it was my first time surfing and, with the help of the excellent instructor, really found my feet and am now totally hooked.

A walk on the sand dunes, carpeted by beautiful Spring flowers, being bombarded by the the wild Atlantic sea, was another highlight of the trip.

All in all, a wonderful place to stay, but because we couldn't really find much happening in the town itself, our 3-4 day visit was just the right length of time.

1 Thank becksducks
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We booked La Sultana as a honeymoon treat and it is about twice as expensive as the hotels we would normally stay in but it was worth it and we didn't regret it for a minute. The number and attentiveness of the staff alone justifies the extra cost and that is before you get to the beauty of the building, location and rooms. They give you a tour of it on arrival and we just kept ooing and ahhing as they showed us one beautiful communal area after another and of course no good hotel is complete without a vivarium with spider crabs and lobsters in case you fancy one for dinner! We stayed there 4 nights and despite some imperfect weather had a wonderful time. We had a private picnic on the beach opposite which was decadent and lovely and had a couple of great treatments in the spa. We ate in the restaurant on 3 nights and the sea bass cooked in salt was the highlight - possibly the best cooked fish we have ever had.

2 Thank North_Pole_Penguin
Maine
Reviewed 5 April 2014

On your way to this hotel, you do not know what you are going to have for accommodations for sure until you finally arrive outside of reception at the hotel. The roads and lands surrounding Oualidia are very rural and undeveloped. Even while driving down the hill from the main street of the town, the road, working fields, and grazing herds of animals give no indication of the gem that awaits you at the end of the drive.

We had booked the Treehouse initially, and stayed there one night. It is a wonderful and unique room and really is a tree house. However, March on the coast of Morocco can be chilly at night, and the heat was not working properly in the Treehouse at the time we arrived. It wasn't unbearably cold, but we were quickly provided with extra blankets.

The next morning, the manager of the hotel offered to show us another room that was available. It was the Pirate room at the top of the hotel. He offered this to us at the same rate as the Treehouse. I am not sure if it normally costs more or not, but it has a VERY generous amount of space and may be the biggest room there. The Pirate room offers wonderful views from two huge decks at either end of the suite. You see people harvesting vegetables in fields next to the hotel, herds of sheep and cows nearby, and look out to sea to see sunsets and moonsets over the sands and rocky cliffs that make up the coast line. We would frequently eat on the deck, having local Moroccan lobster (similar to Maine lobster, big claws and all) and other great dishes.

The staff would provide a babysitter for our 1 year old while we were away for an hour or so while we took advantage of the gym and the spa. All of the staff were genuinely friendly and SO very baby friendly. They seemed to be so happy to see and interact with the baby at any opportunity. The baby sitters were drawn from the staff of the hotel. One was at breakfast one morning and picked up our crawling baby as she was exploring and introduced her to some of the other staff. My point being that the staff genuinely seems to adore babies!

The gym had a sufficient array of equipment and was never busy. It is in the depths of the stone chambers of the spa, but air circulation was sufficient.

The people working at the spa were wonderful, but not with very good English. It was best to set up appointments through reception. However it was enjoyable trying to bridge the communication gap too at the spa desk. The massages were excellent...very very good and unique back and arm massage as part of their normal relaxation full massage.

There are lots of stairs to walk up and down at this hotel. They are unavoidable. However there was a private elevator that used a key to get to the Pirate suite. The staff deserves kudos for providing room service given the trek they had to make to and from the restaurant!

We weren't given a hot pot for boiling water for mix for the baby, but we were instead always given hot water on demand from the restaurant in an insulated container.

There was one problem with the room that was unavoidable. When people made fires in their fireplaces at night in other rooms, the smoke would often come into the pirate suite. It was not unbearable as we kept the windows and doors closed at night, but this seems to be a flaw in the chimney layout of the hotel. This affected my room rating and sleep quality rating for this review.
But beyond this, the room was excellent, well cleaned quickly if you stepped out for breakfast and again before sleep if you stepped out in the afternoon or for dinner.

Each room has an outside hot tub and deck. However, it should be noted that rooms higher up in the hotel can look down onto the decks and outside hot tubs below. The Pirate suite on the top floor where we were felt very private, except for the occasional passing shepherd with his sheep in the afternoon walking high up across the hillside behind the hotel.

The food was great, and we didn't even indulge much in all the wonderful Moroccan cuisine offered on the menu. So if you aren't in Morocco for the just the Tahini and other Moroccan food, you will find other nice choices on the menu here. The restaurant was willing to make just about anything if possible. They even made some drawn butter (Maine style) for the lobster they prepared. Be prepared for being presented your live lobster before they cook it...they seem to like the reaction when they show it to you.

We were given boat ride access easily and on short notice to the sand bar and dunes across the water that you see from the hotel.

The staff here is very nice, friendly, attentive, and genuinely interested in making your stay wonderful. Marrakech was a different experience for us later by contrast....it is pretty chaotic and crazy there. La Sultana Oualidia is a quiet, relaxing hotel well staffed with genuinely helpful and nice people. It really is a gem of a place to enjoy on the rural coast of Morocco.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple