“Went on a whim and it was so worth it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ray's Shanty

Ray's Shanty
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in New Church
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
La Plata, MD
“Went on a whim and it was so worth it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

We were on the island for the weekend for an open house at Salisbury University and decided we wanted to try Ray's Shanty on our way home and it was rhe right decision! My husband and I shared 2 pounds of shrimp and they were really good. My some had the soft crab and couldn't get over the face he could eat the whole thing. The hush puppies are a must when you visit as they are known for them and after the first bite you will know why. Our waitress was Sarah and told us she grew up in the area. We have driven past the "green building" the last two years and never stopped but we were glad we did this time! Make it a stop on your way to or from the island!

• Visited February 2014

Damascus, Maryland
“Great Seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Every time I come down to ESVA I try to eat here. I've tried other restaurants in the area and Rays has been the best for seafood. I love the AYCE shrimp. If you go Wednesdays and Sundays the price is $19.95 with a side, coleslaw, and hush puppies. Great deal! yummy:) Rays also has great other seafood, fish, crabs, clams, oysters etc.. All at a reasonable price.

• Visited November 2013
Salisbury, Maryland
“Fantastic steamed shrimp and huge flounder”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

Ray's Shanty is the perfect place to go near Chincoteague for steamed shrimp and great flounder. Shrimp are available in several different ways, steamed, fried, AYCE; their large flounder, when available, is awesome and hangs over the large plate. Their hush puppies are extremely good and are a perfect accompaniment for any type of seafood. Their salads are always fresh with "real" tomatoes; the only disappointment was the packaged dressings, which were good but not freshly made. The waitstaff has always been very attentive; ask for Sara who is especially good.
This is a "down home" type of seafood restaurant patronized by locals and tourists. Go early because there is usually a good crowd. It is well worth the drive. Call first before you go in the winter months because they do close during part of that time.

• Visited August 2013
Philadelphia, Pa.
“The Eastern Shore of Virginia at its Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

To find a place like the Eastern Shore of Virginia is special, and add a dining spot where the locals really do go to enjoy the harvest of the local waters is the icing on the cake. Chincoteaque Island has many great restaurants and one doesn't have to leave the island to get a good seafood meal. Ray's is worth the drive off-island to the mainland (about eight miles), for what we think is the freshest and best seafood around. From the moment you enter, you know you are among locals--everyone knows everyone, hi here, hi there, what have you been up to, etc., and we fit right in easily. When I was a little guy, my aunt (southern lady) made the best hush puppies---Ray's hush puppies sent me right back to that time---Awesome and just like my aunts : ). My wife and I enjoyed their crab cakes and scallops along with home made cole slaw and fresh cut fries. To go on a little vacation to the Eastern Shore as a tourist is one thing, but to visit Ray's and come away feeling like a local is the best. We love this place!

• Visited October 2013
McKeesport, Pennsylvania
“GO THERE!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

It's not fancy but the best food around and great prices too. We thoroughly enjoyed our meals, crab cakes for me and shark for my husband. Delicious!!! Even the hush puppies were great and I don't like those! My husband told me to rate this place as a 5 and never bothers to comment on any place! The only good thing about the government shut down is that we were able to get into this place without waiting for hours!! We were told that there is always a long wait!

Visited October 2013