“Loved Ray's Shanty, a must go!”
Review of Ray's Shanty

Ray's Shanty
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in New Church
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We absolutely loved Ray's Shanty! Enough said, but I'll say more.

Atmosphere: It is a Shanty decked out like you just went fishing, and I think the staff just off the boat with today's catch. It is that fresh.

Food: Awesome! Slap your momma good kind of awesome and fresh! My wife and I got a 2 lb plate of shrimp to share with unlimited homemade hush puppies for 24.95. We shared it and had left overs. My wife's parents shared a plate of Heads-On shrimp, which was less than our heads-off. It was full of flavor and just incredible.

My wife's cousin complained a little because it used to be all you can eat shrimp, but apparently most people didn't eat more than the 2lbs. So this way people could share plates like we did and/or take the rest home. It was a perfect situation for us.

Service was great and I thought the value was awesome! Next time we are on the Island we'll be back! Don't miss Ray's Shanty!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Our family of 5 found this to be the best food we had all week! It was recommended by Andrew, our boat captain from the Fish Tales boat rental we had earlier in the week. My husband had the Mako shark, the special of the night. It was lightly blackened. Perfectly moist with excellent flavor. My son had the fried clam strip basket. Great. Not rubbery and a good temp. One of my daughters had the fried shrimp with a bowl of the lobster soup. It was tasty and the shrimp were a good size. My broiled scallops and shrimp were perfectly cooked, again, NOT dry or rubbery. I thought the shrimp should have been larger as they were about 1/4 the size of the fried shrimp my daughter had, but the seasoning was very tasty. My other daughter had the chicken fingers from the Kids menu. Well, let's just say they probably should leave the chicken frying to the colonel...not the best going, but hey, it is a seafood restaurant, right? Overall, we were very pleased with the meal and the portions. The price was considerably less than "The Village", the portions were greater, and the food was simply better prepared.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We went here for the lobster special on Wednesday night . $19.99 for a whole lobster ,potato,coleslaw and hushpuppies. A super deal and it was just great. The waitress was very attentive. We highly recommend ray's if seafood is what you like.

1  Thank Conniedelmont
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in chincoteague for a week and this place is just a short drive away. Rays had the best hushpuppies we ate all week. Nice crunch on the outside, but fluffy on the inside. We went on a Sunday night and they had a 1/2 lbs steamed shrimp special for under $13. food was good all around, fast service.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

the portions were more than big enough. The bowl of chowder was GIANT...service was fast and friendly and the décor was quaint. Overall a very pleasant eating experience after driving all day to get to the island area. We'd go here again in a minute. I would have taken a gallon of the chowder home if I could!