“Bad Fish Sandwiches”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We ordered their famous flounder sandwich. What a disappointment. The fried flounder sandwich smelled fishy, tasted bad, and was tough to the chew. It definitely was not fresh! Years ago, when Ray's Shanty first opened, they had some good food, but over the passed few years it has gotten worse. This will be our last visit!

2  Thank NedwobandReging

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I have read a few reviews on this place and decided to try it during a quick day trip to Chincoteague Island. Although it's physically not on Island, IMO it should be ranked with Chincoteague restaurants.

This is a fantastic restaurant!!!! Even though it was busy due to the annual Swimming of the Ponies Week. We were still seated within 15 minutes and had our drinks within 5 minutes.

The Owner was working the crowd with fresh shrimp for your tasting and was delicious!!!! After looking around at other tables we decided on The Trawler. This replaced their all you can eat shrimp and WAS NOT a disappointment. It was advertised as a 2 pound shrimp dish and was pushing 3 pounds!!!! The shrimp was awesome, fresh and perfectly spiced with Old Bay. The Hush Puppies were delicious and nice and crispy on the outside. I had a bowl of their seafood chowder which could have been 2 bowls!!!!

One thing I noticed that there was no music which made conversation the main topic here, which was fun listening to all the other tourists and fishermen.

We will definitely be back to experience this restaurant again!!!!

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I visit this area very often and I get the fresh seafood and just take it home and cook it. This time I figured I would try eating there. I'm so glad I did....the food was AMAZING!!! The Mako bites were to die for and the flounder was perfect. What really made the night was the owner Ray himself. I was really cold and he noticed me and went in the closet and gave me a jacket to wear plus turned the fans off that were over my table. In my eyes that says a lot for a business. I will be back to eat at Ray's as much as I can.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Called in a take out order from menu on their website and was given specials over phone. Order was ready in 15-20 min and parking lot was so crowded that had to park in no parking zone long enough to go in pay and pick up order. There were people waiting inside to be seated; seems to be quite popular w/local folks, but we were mostly underwhelmed. Our entrees included their coleslaw and hushpuppies (overrated?) which tasted mushy. French fries were homemade but not crispy by the time we drove 6 min to our inn. Salad was very fresh w/quality greens but little else. The choice of dressing comes in packet. There are many fried options on the menu, but there are some broiled choices also. "Feet" were not removed from scallops. Clam strips were small but good. For some reason, in addition to cocktail sauce and tartar sauce we were given 7 packets of butter, one of sour cream, but no ketchup.

1  Thank TheTravelingFoodies
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The hushpuppies are award winning so I was eager to try them. They were very good. I ordered the shrimp salad. My husband ordered steamed clams and also scallops wrapped in bacon. We loved every single bite. The prices were lower than most places we have visited with seafood.
We would definitely go back. I would even drive a little out of our way to go back.