“Perfect getaway!”

Garden and the Sea B&B Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 New Church B&B and Inns
“Perfect getaway!”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stayed here instead of on Chincoteague because of the great reviews, and was not disappointed! What a charming, lovely place. Thomas and Doro, the innkeepers, were absolutely delightful and made me feel so welcome and comfortable. The room was spacious and well appointed with everything I needed--including a coffee maker, free wifi, a refrigerator and a fabulous whirlpool tub, as well as a screened porch shared with the room next door (which was vacant my first night, so I had the porch to myself). There is also a lovely parlor in the Garden House with everything from snacks to cold drinks to books and games available for guest use, and plenty of spaces outdoors for relaxing, reading, etc. Breakfast was bountiful and delicious both mornings, and I enjoyed having time to chat with Thomas and Doro about my own travel plans as well as getting some great recommendations from them for local dining options. I also appreciated that I could book a Chincoteague boat tour through the Inn's website (do not miss this--it was fabulous!)

The inn is not on Chincoteague, but it's a very easy 20 minute drive (I imagine it would be longer in the summer). It was nice to be away from the touristy area--the location is quiet and comfortable, with a pool behind the guest houses (which I did not use but appeared very nice).

My only regret is that I could not stay longer! This was exactly what I was looking for, and I cannot recommend it highly enough either as a base for a Chincoteague/Assateague visit, or just for a weekend getaway. This is a special place that I hope I can visit again in the near future!

Room Tip: I don't think you can really go wrong (there is one room that does not have a whirlpool, if that...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

Rooms and bathrooms very spacious and well decorated, beds incredibly comfortable. Great breakfasts served a la carte. The hosts were very friendly and provided good recommendations for the nearby area. Extra bonus: the port decanter and cake trolley for all guests :).

• Stayed May 2013
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We wanted to stay in Chincoteague but waited too late and ended up staying here instead. It's quite close to Chincoteague abut after visiting the island I think it was for the best. The island is quite busy and crowded and G&S is quiet and spacious. we stayed in a suite (3 of us) and it was very comfortable. It was in a separate building behind the inn and looked out into a field of wheat. The furnishings are top notch with a gas fireplace at the foot of the king sized bed and a tub with jets in the bathroom. Breakfast was amazing. I was expecting something simple but it was a treat, more of a desert that the hosts had adapted from a German recipe (the host are from Germany). They Inn is even dog friendly. If I ever go back to Chincoteague I'd stay here rather than trying to stay on the island. The hosts are amazingly gracious and very thorough in caring for their guests.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Garden Sea and Inn for his birthday. Neither of us have stayed in a bed and breakfast before. I have always wanted to own one someday. It was easy to get to, and not far from restaurants and shopping. Just far enough away from home to relax. We were invited to tour the inn and were given the history of its foundation. We drove around the area, stopped and ate, then went back to have cake, which I had ordered to be in the room. We relaxed in the jacuzzi, then some tv before bed. We enjoyed sitting in the garden after breakfast, which was a German cake with raspberry sauce of which I could not pronounce, but was delicious. A little piece of heaven. Will definitely go back again!

• Stayed May 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Thomas and Dorothy's charming B & B is a delight from the moment you walk into it. Lovely accents in every part of the rooms. Dorothy made sure to sit down with us and be sure that all our needs were met, including my special diet. She took the time to acquaint us with the area and all the various opportunities for tourists to sight see.

Our room is fantastic. The mattress is firm and gives a wonderful night's sleep. Love bathroom with two sinks in our room.

We have a new doggie. She is a rescue and as such, needs special care. We couldn't leave her at a kennel, so she came with us. There is ample room to walk her, a caged in run for dogs, and our innkeepers even provide doggie waste bags to pick up after our dog. Honestly, every little thing is thought of here.

I am writing this on the inn's computer, another nice amenity. Fresh towels, nice soap, small refrigerator in the room, there are just many amenities for their guests. Breakfast has been delightful so far and I look forward to our continuing stay here.

I notice one negative review and I have to think that the person who wrote it must be one of the "Professionally Malcontent Complainers" that you run into occasionally in life. There is nothing here that deserves anything less than an "Excellent" rating, including Thomas and Dorothy!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Owings Mills, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The Garden and the Sea Inn was perfect for our honeymoon getaway. We have not booked a real trip yet but needed a few days to go away together after our wedding and we are so pleased that we decided on the Garden and the Sea Inn. From our beautiful room, the Chablis Suite, to Dorthee's wonderful breakfasts, to the great recommendations we were given for things to do with our dog while in Chincoteague, the trip could not have been better (except maybe if we had stayed and extra day or 2). I would highly recommend staying here, as we hope to return some time soon!

Room Tip: The Chablis Suite was beautiful.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My boyfriend, who has never had a desire to stay at a B & B & conceded to make me happy, is sold--he says he will NEVER stay in a hotel again unless there is absolutely no alternative. The Chardonnay Room’s pictures & description do not do it justice—we grinned for our entire stay. There were also 2 minor but splendid perks to the room (which was more like a suite for as roomy as it was) that I also haven't seen mentioned. First, the bathroom skylights let us see stars at night & beautiful view of blue skies & green leaves during the day. Second, the bathtub (more than big enough for the 2 of us) had the little perk that its fixtures were to the side, & not in the center. You can use your imagination here, but having them out of the way can be great if you’re feeling romantic & in a hurry to get out of the tub.

As for the property & the buildings, the inn itself was incredibly charming. There were 3 buildings on the property. The grounds, buildings, decorations, amenities (including complimentary port wine!) were all wonderful. We found the swing near the reflecting pond to be very cozy & romantic, too.

The innkeepers themselves sealed the deal. We were welcomed most warmly, & our orientation to the grounds, though not time consuming, was very informative & appreciated.

Breakfast itself was actually a FUN & scrumptious affair. The spread was wonderful (yum, homemade yogurt!) & Dorothee's cooking skills were fantastic, as was the presentation of our food. While we dined, Thomas was available to chat--he's both hilarious & full of excellent information about the area. Likewise, diners who appeared to want privacy were provided superb service but left to chat between themselves.

All in all, neither my boyfriend nor I have a single complaint about our stay. He said he can't wait to stay at another bed & breakfast & that he absolutely wants to come back to the Garden & the Sea Inn!

Room Tip: The Chardonnay Room is beautiful, quiet, convenient, & romantic. Note the comment in my review...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 19 in Chincoteague Island
Best Western Chincoteague Island
Best Western Chincoteague Island
#4 of 19 in Chincoteague Island

Been to Garden and the Sea B&B Inn? Share your experiences!