“Serene with AMAZING breakfasts”
Review of Garden and Sea Inn

Garden and Sea Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 New Church B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The property itself is stunningly beautiful and well kept. The rooms were very comfortable and the staff was accomodating and very, very hospitable. Dorothee was always available and accomodated special requests without hesitation. Everynight, we enjoyed complimentary Port in the drawing room of the garden house. I appreciated that other areas of the property were available to us even though we were not staying in those buildings.

The best part of this stay was the food at breakfast. My mom didn't get to partake being lactose intollerant, but I chowed down. The cherry cake-like breakfast was mouth watering, and the egg roule and quiche the other mornings were delectible.

I would absolutely consider staying at this location again if I travelled with my dog again. That's why I chose it. They were super dog-friendly and there were multiple dogs on the property with other guests while we were there. There's a great yard to run around and play in out back.

My only hesitation in recommending the place is it's location on the map. It wasn't a bear to get to area attractions, but you do have to drive everywhere. Whereas if you were to stay on Chincoteague, you would be much closer and could walk to everything. I would probably opt for that convenience next time... and may regret missing out on the unequivocal hospitality of the Garden and Sea B&B. The other thing about the location -- and don't be turned off by this -- is that it is right off of Highway 13 with undesirable businesses like a tatoo parlor a block away. Other than the initial shock of driving into the neighborhood, that didn't distract from the place. Once you're on the property, you're transported to a more serene environment.

My mom slept on the futon in the living room of the Shiraz room. She said it was comfortable and had a good night sleep every night except for the night the neighbors left their porch light on.

I slept in the bedroom with a comfy king bed and a room that went pitch black at night. I also enjoyed the jacuzzi tub everynight. The bath salts the B&B provides are wonderful. The water there, however, is very sulfuric so it smells bad.

The only reason I marked one box down on service and cleanliness was due to some very very minor oversights by housekeeping... such as not replacing the empty kleenex, not providing a full set of clean towels when the soiled ones were left in the tub, and not wiping out the sink or cleaning the tub well, and not vaccuming the front room. I'm sure if I had brought these small things to the attention of management, they would have been corrected immediately. They didn't bother me, but I can see a more exacting visitor being annoyed given the detail with which everything else was.

Overall, I do recommend staying here.

Room Tip: There are 3 buildings. The garden house has the nicest "lounge" area. I wouldn't want...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Very warm and nice innkeepers. We love Victorian homes with antique charms so this place was perfect for us! Very comfortable beds. LOVED our double jacuzzi. Relaxing and romantic :-) Best, most amazing breakfast you could ever ask for! Eggs Benedict, Carrot Cake pancakes with bacon, French toast with apricot wine sauce and sausage plus fresh juice and fresh fruit and cereal. Wonderful! Water smelled a bit funny but not a deal breaker. Complimentary soda and water bottles along with snacks and homemade cookies. Used towels from the hotel to take to the beach. A 20 min drive to the island but well worth it!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2013

The Garden & Sea Inn is everything a B&B should be. My mother and I stayed in the Attic Room, which is actually two rooms across the hall from each other. We had the top floor entirely to ourselves which allowed for optimum privacy, and the two-room set-up (bedroom on one side, bathroom & coffee/sitting area on the other) kept us from waking each other up if one of us got up earlier than the other. We were in town for the pony swim, and all of our activities required us leaving before the included breakfast started. But Dorothee and Thomas were very accommodating, leaving a bag lunch in the fridge for the day of the swim to Chincoteague and a continental breakfast in our room for the day of the swim back to Assateague. Refreshments (chips, granola bars, apples, cookies, water, soda, etc.) were always available in the Garden House Parlor to grab on the go. I also got to taste sherry for the first time! Most amazing, perhaps, was the fact we didn't actually meet Dorothee until the afternoon of our second stay, but absolutely all of our needs were still met without a hitch. We found our room easily and felt welcome to explore the grounds. Instructions and directions were written clearly in the room binder and in the very welcoming note left for us at the front door, as we arrived after the usual check-in time. The housekeepers were also great. We left for our activities in the morning and by the time we returned to the room in the afternoon, our coffee was replenished, beds were made, trash was gone, and rooms were neatened. This may very well be the most inviting, picturesque, and welcoming place I've had the pleasure of experiencing.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We had a wonderful time staying at the B&B. We brought a young puppy and were happy to find treats, towels, a blanket and bowl for him to use. We were, of course, very comfortable too and enjoyed our spacious bedroom and bath (with a jetted tub!) We had a wonderful breakfast every morning and had plenty to keep us busy. The Inn is close to Assateague national seashore and to Janes Island state park where we rented a canoe and paddled out to a small island for the day. They even have a list of places to go with your dog! We had a wonderful time and will certainly be back!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My wife and I have now stayed here 2 years in a row. Dorothee, the owner, is wonderful and she and the staff go out of there way to make sure the guests are treated great. Our room (the Chablis Suite) was spotless and very comfortable. The grounds are very nicely landscaped and the breakfasts are great. We will definitely return.

1  Thank rnorth010
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Stayed for two nights and everything I read in the other reviews before going was accurate. The breakfasts were probably the best I've ever had in my life, the staff was friendly, the property was beautiful, and my big chocolate lab felt right at home. The only criticism I have (and this is really reaching, not a big deal) is the screen on the porch of the suite I stayed in needs to be repaired to keep mosquitoes out. A little big spray takes care of the problem though. I will be back sometime.

Room Tip: Any room in the Yellow house or Garden house would be great for dogs. I don't think the main hou...
1  Thank Brandon Y
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This is our second visit and it was as good as the first. We loved our room and the owners are very friendly. They have a pool and the grounds are lovely. It was totally relaxing and was right off the main road. We will continue to visit every year.

Room Tip: The rooms were filled with antiques and our room had a bathroom with a claw foot tub
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to Garden and Sea Inn? Share your experiences!