“Great B&B -- with customized breakfast!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Garden and the Sea B&B Inn

Garden and the Sea B&B Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 New Church B&B and Inns
Ridgecrest, California
“Great B&B -- with customized breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We were a bit surprised to find out how tiny a town New Church is -- but it is close to lots of places, within easy range of shopping, NASA's Wallops Island visitor center (neat place) and Chincoteague Island. Everything was immaculate. We stayed in the Chardonnay Room. The rooms were large, and the bathroom not only was large, but had both a nice shower and a jacuzzi tub. When the innkeeper found out that I could not have a breakfast that was high in sugar, she made me a custom omelet instead of the french toast that the other guests enjoyed. Normally, omelets are not my favorite breakfast, but the one created at the Garden and Sea Inn was superb. Maybe it was the goat cheese, maybe it was expertize and seasoning. This was the very best omelet I have ever experienced -- by far. My wife loved the Victorian charm; we both loved the warm reception. If they had a fitness center, we did not see it -- but we would not have used it anyway.

Room Tip: The Chardonnay Room is great if you need a room on the first floor.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I searched high and low for the perfect place to stay for a weekend getaway to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. I wanted to go to Chincoteague, because I had heard it was a magical place to visit. We live in Raleigh, NC so I did not know anything about the area. I chose Garden & Sea for these reasons: high reviews, I spoke with Dorothee on the phone and she was very sweet and accommodating, the pictures made the rooms look large, opposed to some other B&Bs.

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, I felt like we were welcomed to Garden & Sea as if we were family friends. The staff was lively and extremely friendly. There are three houses and we stayed at the main house, but often snuck over to the Garden house for homemade cookies and DVDs (note: their DVD collection is lacking, so if you relaxing by TV, you might want to pack a movie.) The whole Inn is very pet friendly-- we left ours at home, but definitely feel we could bring them along next time if we wanted. Other guests brought their furry family members and seemed very pleased with the experience. (There were free dogs treats, there is a 5 acre walk around the property, etc.)

Dorothee and Thomas said hello to the guests at breakfast. The breakfast!! One of my favorite parts of our whole trip. I love breakfast, and I think Garden & Sea served some of the best I've ever had. Example: 1st morning was blueberry overnight french toast, 2nd morning was smoked salmon eggs benedict with asparagus (great hollandaise sauce!), 3rd morning was blueberry cornbread with a very light poppyseed cream sauce and sausage on the side. There was a breakfast buffet with fresh fruit (and good fruit-- mangos, nectarines, etc.), homemade breakfast breads (zucchini, banana nut, pound cake), granola with homemade yogurt... I could go on and on, just about the breakfast.

The room: every inch of Garden & Sea property has perfect Victorian charm, but I could have stayed in the room all weekend and I would have been happy. We stayed in the Chantilly room, and the bath was huge. We took a jacquzzi bath at least once a day. The bed was very comfortable. We travel a lot (but this was our first B&B) and that was one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in away from home.

I would highly recommend Garden & Sea. We cannot wait to go back! The grounds are beautiful, the staff is friendly, and it was the perfect place for our getaway.

Only con I can possibly come up with (and it's a stretch) is the location. If you're interested in straddling the MD and VA border, Garden & Sea is perfect. If you're looking just to visit Chincoteague/Assateague it's about a 15-20 minute drive into town. In my opinion, it was worth it, but there are a couple places to stay on the islands. Given how wonderful our experience was, I'd rather a slight commute in order to be guaranteed such a perfect B&B. The drive from Garden & Sea to Chincoteague is beautiful, so it's not a boring or tedious drive.

Other thoughts: there was no fitness center (but you're on vacation, chill!) It may be family friendly, but I would consider it more of a couples' retreat (as with any B&B). The rooms all seem spacious to me.

If you're looking for romance, charm, a country feel, friendly but unobtrusive hosts, a family feel, pet friendly, or just the perfect getaway, you can't go wrong with Garden & Sea. We'll be back!

1 Thank Alanna O
Hampton Roads, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

You would never know this B&B was there - and honestly, the neighborhood is nothing much to look at and very close to the main highway, but don't let that discourage you because what a find this inn is! It is close enough to easily travel to Chincoteague, Snow Hill, Salisbury, and even Ocean City, MD.

Spacious and lovely accommodations (we stayed in the Shiraz suite). Loved having a sitting/living room separate from the bedroom and really liked the flooring (not all carpet). The bed was very comfortable. One improvement to the bedroom would be a dark curtain/darker blinds on the door out to the porch/yard. If you are sensitive to light, you will be an early riser while staying in this room :-). Really loved having a ceiling fan over the bed and the A/C and heat worked great. Wireless is available, but it is not very robust (but really, internet access is not why one should stay in a place like this anyway).

Housekeeping did a great job, except for our last day (overlooked some details; not anything major) - but the innkeepers were very apologetic and thankful for our feedback. The grounds and gardens are lovely.

Delicious, homemade breakfast. Really enjoyed the homemade yogurt and cherry bread/cake. Friendly, helpful staff. Lots of nice extras such as port or sherry and snacks in the parlor each afternoon, bottled water, tea (hot or homemade iced), some sodas, and cocoa were always available in the parlor, along with dishes to use if you brought in takeout. Coffee maker in room, but if you are a coffee snob like me, you will find it wanting. The staff graciously poured me a "take out" mug of the strong, tasty brew in the diningroom 20 minutes before they opened in the AM. I did not see an icemaker anywhere and never did ask about that - we'd brought a cooler, so we just bought some ice on our second day.

What I really liked about this place is that even though they were totally booked, you almost felt like you were the only ones there. We rarely heard any noise from the other three rooms in the house we stayed in (yellow house). One thing to note - if you are sensitive to smells, the water does have a sulfur odor that can be a little off-putting. They provide lovely bath salts for use in the jacuzzi tub, which were definitely needed to mask that very natural, but unpleasant, scent.

I was disappointed that the pool was not yet open - and very surprised since we stayed over Memorial Day weekend and that is generally the start of such availability at other properties. I was really hoping to be able to lounge poolside, even if the water was too cold to actually swim. I would strongly recommend that the staff have this available for this well-known start of the summer season.

We would definitely stay here again - and are thinking of doing such during the off-season when they offer some rate specials. It also appears they are constantly improving and upgrading the property and would love to see their progress from year to year. Thank you, Garden and Sea Inn for a lovely weekend getaway!

Room Tip: The Shiraz suite is dog-friendly, but the fence in the attached yard is better suited for a smaller...
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Not your typical B&B. Loved this place. Beautiful rooms. Very clean. Most comfortable bed I have ever slept in (wanted to take it home). Very pretty gardens and grounds. Gourmet breakfasts that were outstanding. Inn Keeper and rest of staff very warm, friendly and extremely helpful regarding recommending places to visit and dine. Enjoyed, that although staying at a B&B, had lots space with a large suite with its own little fenced yard for our dog to use and lots of privacy. Dining room spacious with private tables, beautiful decor. A B&B that offers all the niceties of a fine resort that is totally pet friendly. You can't beat that combination!!! Only negative thing I can say is the immediate surrounding location does not have much to offer as far as dining and appeal. However it is centrally located so that you can visit both Chincoteague and Assateage islands easily.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I went to Chincoteague Island for a week celebrating our 4th anniversary and we stayed in this B&B. The Inn has quite a historical background! We had a wonderful time. We stayed in the Merlot room, and it was always clean and comfortable. The bathroom was huge! The inkeeper and staff were extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the area, always engaging the guests in warm conversation, and making recommendations about places to visit and eat. The food at the inn was top notch, not just the breakfasts, but also the goodies left for the guests in the Garden House. They catered to my wife's dietary restrictions as well, which was wonderful. A couple issues we had on our stay was that the pool was not open in mid May (understandable because the weather and temps are unpredictable, but we were still looking forward to swimming one day on our trip). Also the bath water and water in the sink in our room had a strong iron/sulphur smell at times, though it was safe to use and drink. Overall, we had a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: The Merlot room is the oldest room in the house. Lots of history!
Monument Beach, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was our third year in a row we have stayed at this beautiful B&B. Dorothee and Thomas are excellent hosts. Very comfortable and immaculate accommodations and the breakfast is so good. Highly recommend.
Tim & Tracy

Room Tip: Stayed in the Shirazz suit, large and pet friendly
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Spent a bithday weekend at Garden and Sea with our canine companion .Very friendly hosts,great location and above all, great breakfast. Highly recommended for anyone looking to spend liesurely time on the Eastern Shore /Maryland.

Room Tip: Chardonnay room had excellent facilities and a very spacious bathroom
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Comfort Suites Chincoteague
#4 of 19 in Chincoteague Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,085 reviews
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chincoteague Island
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chincotea...
#6 of 19 in Chincoteague Island
Refuge Inn
Refuge Inn
#2 of 19 in Chincoteague Island
Holiday Inn Express Pocomoke City

Been to Garden and the Sea B&B Inn? Share your experiences!