“Our favorite B&B”

Ranked #1 of 1 New Church B&B and Inns
Virginia
“Our favorite B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2010

My husband and I never stay in a hotel..we always stay in B&B's. The Garden and Sea Inn is the only one we have visited twice! Although it is pet friendly, it is so clean you cannot tell that any pets have ever been present. The inn keepers, Doro and Thomas, are warm and friendly and offer excellent food. Snacks and drinks are always available in a kitchen/living room area, the pool is cool and inviting, the gardens are lovely. There is a lot to do in the surrounding area. We highly recommend this B&B!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2010

My wife and I both love the Chincoteague area and wanted to bring our 60 lb. dog with us for few days before summer tourists swarm the area. Having worked on business at adjacent Wallops Island for a few years, I am very familiar with the area's accommodations. I know all of the lodging on the island and although this place was the only real choice for bringing a pet, it was an absolutely fantastic, cozy, and charming B&B!

Granted, it's off of Rt. 13 on a quiet farm area and 15 min outside Chincoteague and you really can't walk to anything. But seriously, there is only so much to see on Chincoteague anyway. You still have to drive several minutes out to Assateaque to get to the beaches and ponies anyway. The location is perfect for exploring the area, as you can easily shoot over to Ocean City or venture elsewhere along the Eastern Shore. We even took one afternoon to go have lunch in Berlin (outside OC) and then up to Rehoboth.

As far as the grounds, there are three separate houses on over 5 acres of gardens, plenty of shade as well as open grassy space. We stayed in the Shiraz Suite (furthest in the back), which had its own private dog pen off of the side entrance. The Suite is HUGE, gorgeous king bed, Jacuzzi, two sinks, everything you need. It's furthest back on the property and is the newest building. The other two buildings are old farmhouses that have 3 units each and each have public areas where you can sit, relax, etc. It's a very open, relaxing wonderful venue through and through.

We travel regularly and take note of the small things and this place was meticulous, clean, and very well managed with great attention to detail. Thomas and his wife Dorothee were charming and splendid hosts and you never had to go wandering to look for them. They are very diligent, attentive, and love what they are doing. Oh, and the breakfasts are terrific! Not too early either (8:30-10). Fresh fruit, cereal, coffee...and fresh cooked dishes. One morning we had stuffed French Toast with mascarpone cheese....now that was a surprise!

For us, the combination of price ($165 per night in early May off-season, this was their most expensive room), privacy, relaxation, and convenience you will not find anything better in the area.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2010

We found this place because we were looking for a dog-friendly vacation. They offered a free night with 2 nights and a "dog-lovers" special that was really cute. The place is located on a back road that is not too impressive, but once you get to the property, you forget about all that. It is seriously like you are in another place. The main house is BEAUTIFUL and houses several of the rooms. There is a Garden House in the back with 3 additional rooms and then another house (where the inn keepers also live) with 2 additional rooms. We stayed in the Nelson Room in the main house. It was a perfect little suite. We also brought our dog and she had plenty of room to roam and sleep. The room was very clean and we slept SO well. The bed was incredibly comfortable! The inn keepers, Thomas and Dorothee, are a huge part of what make this place great. We arrived late on Friday night and Dorothee greated us and still gave us a tour of the grounds! They are such sweet and personable people, and VERY funny! And their German accents just make them more endearing. I could listen to them talk forever! They are very knowledgable about the area and have plenty of tips for things to see and do. They recommended a dog-friendly beach for us that we probably wouldn't have found otherwise. Our pup loved it! On the grounds they offer doggie cleanup bags and a trash can for them. In the Garden House, there is a little kitchette that they keep stocked with DVDs, books, snacks, drinks and dog treats. They are such wonderful people and put a lot of thought into what would make their guests comfortable and feel at home. We were the only couple with our dog at the time and the other guests wouldn't have even known it. It is very easy to mingle with other guests if you want to or go on your own. The grounds are beautiful and there are plenty of spots to walk around and/or sit. Another great part of our stay was the food. We had 3 mornings there and the breakfast was AMAZING. They offer a small continental selection and then cook a "main course". AMAZING. We had berry pancakes, eggs florentine and the most amazing cheese-stuffed french toast I have ever had! They have also started offering dinner on Friday and Saturday nights. We had dinner Saturday. I highly recommend having the dinner at least one night if you stay the weekend. It was DELICIOUS! The other night we went to Ray's Shanty, very nearby. It's not much to look at from the outside but it is very cute on the inside and the food was GREAT (and cheap!) - a great value and highly recommended by us. I could go on and on about this place but I think I've covered enough! Stay here, you will not regret it!! We are definitely planning on a return trip.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

My trip to New York led me to the Garden and the Sea. My husband, dog and I have stayed here before because it's a good stopping place. A few times we stayed during the prior ownership. We enjoyed it then, but since Thomas and Dorothy bought it last year things are getting even better. This time I was traveling by myself. I stayed in the Sandpiper and noticed that a lot of improvements have been made. This room is in the Garden House which is separate from the main house. It was such a pleasure staying there. I had the whole house to myself. It has a beautiful front porch with a swing. Then you walk into the lovely living area, dining area and small kitchen in the back. My room, which is totally separate, had a nice screened porch also. The only problem I encountered was at night the A/C wasn't cool enough. The room faces the west so it could use some additional cool air. It was very cool in the living room/dining area.

You won't get hungry because there are all kinds of goodies for you in the kitchen area. There is a refrigerator, stove, ironing board and iron, etc. in the kitchen area and also a refrigerator in your room. The refrigerator in the Garden House is stocked with sodas and water. I took some water with me when I went to see the wild horses on Assateague Island.

Thomas and Dorothy are gracious hosts. I want to mention the fabulous breakfast I had one morning: feta cheese omelet, that was prepared perfectly; sausage; grilled vegetables. I cleaned the plate! And then, Thomas brought me some chocolate nut bread that I was too full to eat. So he wrapped it up for my trip. It was delicious. There are also fresh fruit, cereals, and juices available every day.

I hope Thomas and Dorothy luck and we will be back.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
kizzypop
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2010

Thomas and Doro were great hosts and Garden and the Sea more than met our expectations. The rooms, grounds, food and innkeepers were fantastic! Inn is just a short drive from Chincoteague/Assateague as well as Crisfield, Onancock and other Eastern Shore destinations. Already planning a return trip!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

The innkeepers, Dorothee & Thomas are delightful! Very hospitable and accommodating. My husband and I, along with our dog(!) very much enjoyed the ambiance. Great place -- we will return.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2009

Had a wonderful 3 night stay at The Garden & Sea as part of their buy 2, get 1 free promo. Room and house were spotlessly clean. Breakfast was very good - if they are making their peach mascarpone french toast you are in for a treat. Enjoyed the complimentary afternoon snacks and drinks. Nice locale for trip up and down the Delmarva Peninsula and for Chinconteague Island. Would highly recommend and would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Comfort Suites Chincoteague
#3 of 19 in Chincoteague Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,132 reviews
Marina Bay Hotel & Suites, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Marina Bay Hotel & Suites, an As...
#9 of 19 in Chincoteague Island
Refuge Inn
Refuge Inn
#2 of 19 in Chincoteague Island
Holiday Inn Express Pocomoke City

Been to Garden and the Sea B&B Inn? Share your experiences!