“Heaven on earth!”

Cliff Cottage
Trouville sur mer
“Heaven on earth!”
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We have found the "Cliff Cottage" adress on the net, purely by chance and at first, we have booked a 3 nights' stay. But we have been so well greeted that we spent our 3 weeks' holiday there!!
When confirming our booking, Shaun, the owner sent us by mail a very detailed explanation of how reach the cottage, which taxi we should take... very useful! We just had to follow the instructions. We had booked a Deluxe room, meaning with air conditioning and your own bathroom. Nice but my boyfriend was not very enthousiastic. He is used to travelling a lot and he wanted something more "typical" and closer to nature! On the 4th day, we decided to spend there the rest of our stay, but that time in a hut, rusitcal accomodation, and I must confess, as an occidental woman, I was not very enthousiastic. But from that moment, our holidays have totally changed.!! The cottage is a quiet place, far from touristic resorts and very close to nature. he point of view was terrific!! Unforgettable sunrises and sunsets! The lavatory and shower down totally correct and cleaned 4 times a day! A nice place for snorkelling. We have appreciated the autonomy that the renting of motorbikes gave us. We slept very well and the cooking of the restaurant was ok. We were just 15 minutes 'walk from Bang bao where we found a laundry, a market place, even a supermarket, very nice Thai restaurants. We have so much enjoyed the food! and local people were very friendly. I cannot detail everything but the place is really worth seeing. Last but not least, Shaun's staff is very professionnal and very friendly with everybody with a big "Cheers" to Lidia, a Thai receptionnist and probably his assistant, always helpful and smiling!
Shaun has been living in Thailand for a few years and is married to a charming Thai lady, so he knows pretty the places to see or the traps to avoid, and both of them do their job with enjoyment .

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Thai first
Reviewed 5 February 2012

The staff are super friendly at this quiet and relaxed spot. amazing sunsets from the bar/chill area. Shawn the owner is more than helpful, and provides lots of interesting information about the area.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Cliff Cottages has a nice location, most units facing the bay towards Bang Bao whilst the higher ones and the bar / restaurant face a quiet bay and look out to sea. The unit we had, top priced en-suite with air con, was clean and smart but lacked storage space, there was just a hanging rail in a walk in wardrbobe. The t.v. was there just to play dvd's as there was no aerial point.

It's convenient for Bang Bao, a 10 minute walk (but bring a torch), and the view over to the village is attractive but as others have said - probably not the best bay to swim in. The other side by the bar has reasonable swimming although access is over rocks. The staff where friendly and helpful when needed but didn't push themselves on guests which I think most guests appreciate in what is basically a aid back resort. Value for money was probably not the best, when we moved on we paid more and felt we got better value and there are less expensive propeties in the area. But it is a nice spot!

london
Reviewed 25 January 2012

At first these spick span cottages perched over the pretty bay at Bang Bao look ideal and great value for money but the picturesque bay is too poluted by effluent from the restaurants on the pier to swim in and the rocky bay on the other side of the promontory is too rocky for easy access. The cottage with Ac and showers are small with a shared terrace running along the row. They have nice touches like a wall hanging, smart new tiles and decent sheets and towells BUT there is a constant whiff of drains and worst which cannot be dispelled [ I bought my own toilet duck and bleach to no avail.] Sean the owner is affable and Lydia the lovely ladyboy very charming. There is a tuk tuk to take you to the crowded beach across the bay but I hate looking at the seas and not being able to run out of my room and get in it. The restaurant is lovely with free wi fi, great views and Bombay Sapphire gin but the food is very average and not cheap. I didn't like the so-called remote and picturesque village and pier which you can walk to over dodgy little bridges through waht seem to be people's backyards with their dogs and chickens. The village is full of tacky souvenir shops, a 4711 and umpteen ATM - handy but not picturesue. My trip was saved by finding that I could use the pool free, have sunset cocktails on top of the hill and eat fab food and good reasonably priced wine at the luxury Nirvana resort 200 metre walk from Cliff Cottage. Once we found that out we just stayed there all day chilling, eating great food and just slept in our whiffy room. It got a bit boring after 5 days though so we checked out early and headed up to White Sands Beach.

Room Tip: Stay here very cheap then eat, drink and pool at de luxe NIrvana next door!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Pros:
Close to the sea with a lovely view and good for fishing. Quiet location.
Cons:
staff did not seem to care about us, they ignored us and didn't bother to serve us when we sat at a table. We waited so long the first morning and no one came over So we walked to town to eat it was cheaper there anyway. We were asked about 4 times in one day if we were staying in one of the rooms, it shouldn't be that hard to remember. No lock is provided for the door to the hut. The hut is full of holes big enough to reach in to, plastic sheets on the bed make the night a bit sweaty. The toilets are so far away and very dirty, there is no sink. We are no in a bungalow that is only 100 baht more and has an ensuit, tv, towels etc. Maybe the more expensive bungalows are nice but the one we were in was not good value.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I had booked a cabin for five nights, but checkt out after two nights to look for another accomodation (no money returned unfortunately). Although the scenery was very nice, the cabin was too primitive and not clean. The showers and toilet was a long walk from my cabin and these were not kept clean very well. To many downsides for my taste.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Karin v
Surrey
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Like most readers I work hard and look forward to my holidays. I have been fortunate enough over the years to visit some very memorable places.I have never however felt the need for a revisit...until now.I visited Cliff Cottage in December for two weeks and due to a combination of factors it simply ticked all the boxes. I arrived at Cliff Cottage during the late evening. I was hungry but the kitchen had closed. No problem for Shaun the owner. He simply went in to the kitchen and knocked me up a baguette that was very, very tasty. I had a delightful sea view room. The room included a comfortable double bed; air conditioning ( quiet and effective); en-suite facilities; a fridge and a walk in wardrobe to boot. If you want to spent less money then head for the huts on higher ground where there are fans to keep you cool. Although I am happy to do some sitting around on holiday I consider myself an active person......but not on this holiday. I spent most of my days at the resort. The atmosphere that Shaun has created is really difficult to put into words. No pressure/ hammocks to relax in/free wi- fi if you want it; an eclectic mix of music and comforted in the fact YOU WlLL NEVER BE RIPPED OFF. The nearby fishing village ( a 10 minute walk if you know the short cuts) is charming. Some good restaurants; small shops; diving lessons and boats to hire but to be honest I had difficulty leaving Cliff Cottage. The food provided is excellent whether you decide on the local cuisine or the western options that are available. Drinks are very reasonably priced: yes you can find bottles cheaper elsewhere but for the extra few bahat you get the views and the feeling of total relaxation. When I ventured out from Cliff Cottage I hired one of the very well maintained mopeds and again the price is so compeditive. Staff are young and friendly and do their job without any fuss. They are led by Shaun the owner who is a one in a million guy. Shaun has clearly worked hard to create the ambience that will ensure I go back. He is customer focussed and looking to further improve your holiday experience. I was saddened to observe for myself some customers trying to take advantage of Shaun's good nature ( e.g bringing their own food and drinks into the restaurant and thinking it was quite acceptable???. Or the couple complaining of the quality of the room being rented for about £4 a night....get a life!!). Shaun speaks Thai and will guide you on local custom and how you can maximise your time on Koh Chang.If you want to do some excursions and save money speak to Shaun.
Hope you give this place a try: think value for money....you will not be disappointed. Can't wait to go back to Cliff Cottage.

Room Tip: Spend a little bit more and enjoy one of the sea facing air conditioned bungalows.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends