“dead calm>>have you seen this movie?”

Aunchaleena Beach Front Resort
Ranked #87 of 106 Ko Chang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I do believe this was a luxury resort 10 years ago but with next to no maintenence it has sadly fallen apart. We actually didnt stay here but payed for a walk around the place wich took 40 minutes and didnt see anything open or any people staying here. Too scared to look inside the big ship they have as cabins.The pool was empty and the staff flead at the site of us.Its worth a look just to see how not to run a resort.

Room Tip: worth to have a look but dont stay!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Heath G

Reviewed 28 January 2012

I am still in shock after 3 weeks as to how miserable my experience at this hotel was. We booked it online, and had no idea we were booking an ALL-INCLUSIVE resort that's totally removed from the rest of the island, and extremely inconvenient to the other beaches. We arrived after a long day of travel and were told our room wasn't ready - before they even asked us our names!! The "ship" our room was in was totally disgusting, neglected and straight out of a horror film. I have no idea how this place is still open. They did have a humorous "Competency Certificate" hanging up in the lobby which my friend and I took photos of for comic relief. But nothing else was funny about the Grand Lagoona. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: Just don't stay here! Period.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
9  Thank EmSok
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Rooms are expensive, but very old. Our room was dirty and smelly, the airconditioning was old, moister and smelly, there was no sign of luxury at all. And we had the luxurious boat suite. An old rag.
People were very unfriendly, food was lousy, there was no service at all. The private beach was dirty, empty bottles everywhere.
We wanted to leave as soon as possible. It was a very nasty experience. Please, don't ever go there!
All other european people we spoke had the same experience and were hoping to leave there as fast as they could. Once, there even was a strike of unhappy hotelguests...

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SVM30
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Maybe when it first opened, this place was grand - but not any more. Everything about the place is faded and jaded. The resort is in desperate need of investment and it's plainly not forthcoming. The staff are miserable - which is so unlike the Thai people. I suspect that the staff are treated much like the resort is - with little respect and with little care.
At check-in we found out that the rooms (2) we had booked were unavailable. The alternative shown to us was dark, smelly and the receptionist really sold it to us when she said "It's right next to the bar, it will be noisy." Luckily the one member of staff who spoke any decent English suggested another option which was acceptable (but only just.) The same member of staff told us that every single person who had checked in that day (Christmas Eve) had complained and demanded to be moved.
Throughout the resort there are signs of a complete lack of care or maintenance. The Galaxy is the centre piece - a 7 deck boat housing 70 rooms. In the pictures it looks gleaming and white and the description talks of five star luxury. In reality, from the outside it looks like the Titanic - after being raised from the depths.
The bar on the beach is fine but over inflated prices stop most people using it.
The restaurant on the beach blares out awful Russian pop music half the night. The food is average to poor in the evening and breakfast is just abysmal - in fact one resident took over from the chef to cook his own eggs and ham in an effort to put something edible on his plate.
Tables and chairs are falling apart and no one cares.
On the positive side; the beach at the resort is fine but you'll have no other option for food or drink than the resort bar and restaurant.
The swimming pool is small, dirty and no-one used it.
The location of the resort is miles from everywhere and the resort offers no free shuttle. Taxis will ask you for 150 baht per person to go to the nearest village - Bang Bao. To go to the main beaches will cost you more. You would be advised to rent mopeds at 200 Baht per day (the resort charges 300 per day so rent elsewhere); or rent a car which you can get from about 800 baht per day. The roads in Koh Chang are narrow, winding and unlit at night. Not a fun driving experience.
We rented a car and used the resort only to sleep in. We spent our days and our evenings well away from Grand Lagoona.
My advice - go elsewhere. Bang Bao, Kai Bae, Lonely Beach, White Sands Beach - there's plenty of choice.
Things go wrong at hotels, but when the hotel really doesn't care then it's time to send them a message by taking your hard earned cash elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms well away from this resort would be my advice
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Quinnynews
Reviewed 4 January 2012

First, let me clearly state that I did not stay there. I just paid an entrance fee and then toured the grounds on my scooter, paid a visit to the lobby, and snooped around as much as I could without being rude.
Apparantly a fleet of some kind was anchored in this large natural lagoon. There are old wooden hulks from several small ships scattered around...I'm guessing an abandoned fishing boat of some kind.
Someone got the bright idea of turning this amazing little natural jewel into a resort, and incorporating the old wrecks into a theme. This was done by building new structures over the old ships, and additionaly by building fake ships from the bottom up. Thus guests get a unique experience and plenty of space from each other. So far so good.
But then, a hideous 'cruise ship' hotel facility was built on the grounds as well. It will never float away unfortunately, and the metal skin is mouldering, skylights yellowing, and it looks generally in a state of decay.
What was actually a pretty cool idea is foundering for lack of vision, maintainence, funding perhaps, and, well, just a cohesive plan.
When I was there it felt like a ghost resort as the place seemed empty. From other reviews it is apparant that it's either packed with groups, or abandoned.
It's at the very end of the road, and has a one of the best beaches on Koh Chang all to itself. I can truly say I have never seen anything like it. I'd love to stay there just to have that perfect beach to myself and maybe figure out where all those old shipwrecks came from, but I don't think I could convince my family to stay there.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank dacky2
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Service is inexistant, there is no maintenance of the property (old rooms,broken chairs, etc), people not helpful and you have to chase to get your room cleaned.
This is pitu because the beach is beautiful but the whole experience was a nightmare.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank RCeli
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I am an expat living and working in Cambodia and I travel with my family to beach resorts for holiday 2 times per year. this is our second time to Koh Chang and we thought we would try a different place and location on the island. Most places we choose live up to their billing mostly, therefore i have never given a review as what i have to say is already said. But this time it is different.

I will begin with the fact that the private beach is very good especially for families even with the fact that they have very little beach chairs and have a towel nazi at the bar. For a place that promotes itself as an upper level resort it is woeful in service, food, amenities, and furnishings. I am still here for the New Year as other locations are booked but would move in a heart beat.

We are staying in the Seaside Villas. You would expect a villa to be top notch but that is not the case. The worst situation is that the beds are rock hard. These are the types of mattresses you buy for $40 in Southeast asia. The television has only Thai language stations and one English language station that is an Russian news propaganda operation (RT). Cable is cheap in SE Asia and having a variety of stations is not difficult or expensive especially for a resort of this billing and price. The living room has cheap SE asian wicker furniture. The second level deck chairs are nice as are the bathroom fixtures.

The food (especially breakfast) and menu are terrible. Because it is on the south end of the island it is quite isolated so you have to work hard to get better food. The cleaning crew do very little cleaning as the counters and cabinets are dust covered even after we have been here for 3 days. The aircons are old but functional. If you request assistance from the front desk or housekeeping most of the time they will not show.

What keeps the Grand Lagoona from getting a terrible rating from me is the great beach.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family