“Overgrown jungle location with zero hospitality”
Review of Saffron on the Sea

Saffron on the Sea
Ranked #35 of 106 Ko Chang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Stayed here for two nights. We knew going in that the place is supposed to be somewhat rustic and jungly. We consider ourselves to be pretty adventurous and outdoorsy so we thought Saffron would suit our needs. However, there is a vast difference between rustic and jungly and rundown and unkempt. We noticed this as soon as we arrived. First, there is no designated check-in area. We wandered into the kitchen/restaurant area where we were met by one of the staff and two random dogs. All three basically ignored us. Eventually the staff person acknowledged us and walked us to our bungalow. It was nighttime so we weren't able to get a clear picture of the grounds. Our bungalow was pretty large but had a lot of wasted space. The bed was covered in a mosquito netting and was pretty hard. The worst part of the room was how dark it was. Even during the day it was extremely dim. There was only a tiny mirror in the bathroom and very poor lighting. The front door and windows were covered in some sort of homemade curtain which offered little privacy. The grounds are very overgrown so very little natural light can get through. It didn't help that there was torrential rain for two days so the place appeared even darker and more depressing. The porch area leaked so we couldn't sit outside without getting wet. At one point the power went out so it was completely dark and humid for several hours. The staff don't appear to be very concerned with service. Any time we would try and approach the people in the restaurant area to ask for a drink, etc. we always felt like it was a great imposition. After reading other people's comments about the dogs we basically stayed away from them. Their barking was a little annoying at times, but then again we are cat people;)
The thing that topped it all off was the fact I got sick after eating at the restaurant. Saffron on the Sea could be a much nicer place if they did some basic maintenance on the grounds and rehabbed the bungalows. However, it doesn't seem like anyone there really gives a toss.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Ocean front bungalows with 4 star dining. The rooms are a little dark and dated but very clean. Away from the crowds, perfect for swinging in a hammock and catching up on those books you promised to read. Friendly staff arranged tours and transportation. Only 5 minutes on foot to the brand new Tesco.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

I have been to this superb restaurant many times. The staff are friendly and the food is amazing. However the owner has a white Labrador which attacked my wife and I on two seperate occasions!!! It attacked us today while the owner was watching, they didn't seem to care! There are many great restaurants on Ko Chang unfortunately this will defiantly be our last visit to Saffron. Please take care if you visit as dog bites here can be fatal!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cappobianco
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stumbling upon Saffron!.Not much help finding somewhere to stay on arrival by ferry.Having seen Tripadvisors recommendations took pot luck.The pot was full of gold!!.Amazing place,stunning surroundings and as for the food?-Never had better.The owner and staff worked really hard to offer superb service and make my 4 days here one of the most memorable ever.

Room Tip: B6 was great,everything working-a/c,fridge even tv (not requires in paradise!)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank mikelondon48
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Hard to describe this place, you need to experience it yourself.
We stayed 6 night, and we´re only ones there at that time (low season) - so it was really special, quiet and nice. Our bungalow was just by the sea, views we're great. Beach is rocky, but you can swim, water is just so clear as you can hope for. Few kayaks available for guest's - try them!

We ate at the restaurant almost everyday (sometimes 2 meals/day). Food is just wonderful, best we have had so far in Thailand. Prices are little higher, but you just can´t say no. And you don't have to leave with empty stomach! (big portions).
Owners are just great, heart and soul of this place. Rest of the staff was nothing but friendly and helpful. Cleaning worked well.
Only thing that we didin't really like was those lizards (gekkoes) in our room. Harmless (Thai's thinks they bring good luck), but... they pooped all over the place and stole our soaps! But it was mostly funny (after first night panic) :D

If you want to go shopping, dining some place else, or see the nightlife, you need to rent a scooter (Saffron scooters 150B/day) or take a cab. Pearl bay area is quiet and small, few restaurant's, nice bookshop and few bars.

Beatiful place, great staff, great food, peace and quiet - what more do you need?

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Saffron is a tiny boutique hotel with only 7 bungalow rooms and each one is beautifully decorated in traditional style with lovely extras.

The staff are lovely and the restaurant is outstanding, tiny but with incredible food (people come from all over the island to eat there).
If you are looking for a restful peaceful place with a magical atmosphere then this is for you.
The rooms are big and spacious and very private.
The only drawback is that is is on a rocky beach, we didn't mind because we ended up suing their kayaks (free) and exploring the coastline that way. We just paddles to the nearest w=swimming beach, lots of fun. The ambience of Saffron made up for it.

Room Tip: The photos on Agda do not do this place justice, it is much NICER in real life (normally the other w...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. When we arrived we were shown 4 rooms and were able to choose which one to stay in. We chose an upstairs room. It wa lovely. I heard some noises the first night and went into the bathroom where saw a lizard looking at me. When I got up I discovered the handle on my suitcase has been chewed and thought it must have been the lizard. Quiet the second night but noisey again the last night. On going into the bathroom I saw a small, rodent type animal with a leaf in its mouth. It must have been building a nest and I put this down to the chewed suitcase handle!! None of this caused me any concern though. As I was about to have a massage in my room on my last day the lizard made a reappearance. The poor young lady who was doing the massage was visibly worried about this but having spoken to the hotel owner was reassured and carried on. It was quite surreal having a massage with one eye open watching the lizard walk around the walls of the room! When I left he was behind the air conditioning unit!! Everything else about the place is positive. I would stay again. The food in the restaurant is really good and people come from all over to have a meal there.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple