Island View Resort & Spa
The Emerald Cove Koh Chang(Ko Chang)
US$118
Trip.com
Mercure Koh Chang Hideaway Hotel(Ko Chang)(Great Value!)
US$71
Mercure
US$96
US$89
Agoda.com
Centara Koh Chang Tropicana Resort(Ko Chang)(Great Value!)
US$102
Agoda.com
Kacha Resort & Spa, Koh Chang(Ko Chang)(Great Value!)
US$80
US$64
  • Pool
Nirvana Resort Koh Chang(Ko Chang)(Great Value!)
US$56
US$47
Agoda.com
AWA Resort(Ko Chang)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$88
US$98
US$91
US$101
Trip.com
US$238
US$179
All reviewssmall boatgerman guyrent a scooterkayakbeachesislandkoresortjungle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The location is fantastic if you want to stay literally ON the water, and as long as you don't mind being on the quiet side of the island (which requires you to travel by motorbike, kayak or on foot 1-2 hours to get to a sandy beach). Beautiful, restful location, good restaurant (also try Salakphet Seafood and Resort a few doors down), and lots of activities the staff (Jimmy) can arrange for you. Jimmy is awesome. He's super knowledgeable, friendly and helpful in all ways.

Our stay could have been spectacular given all I described above, but instead it was only overall pretty good. I was disappointed. My partner had gotten sick the day before we were supposed to arrive at the resort so we were running a day behind schedule. We contacted the owner through Agoda to let him know (unfortunately it's not easy to communicate through Agoda) and we didn't have the owner's direct email address. When we arrived a day late he told us he had cancelled our reservation, and although we had already paid in full, he had given our "Comfort" (more expensive, better view) room away and tried to put us in a standard room. When we said we preferred to be in one of the obviously open rooms with the view in the "Comfort Room" pictures we had paid for, he lost his temper and started yelling at us. I understand that there can sometimes be a misunderstanding or a miscommunication (he said Agoda never contacted him to inform him of our notice we would be a day late), but hotel guests shouldn't be yelled at by hotel owners - that's basic Hospitality 101. The situation was finally resolved and the owner let us move into one of the open premium rooms, but only after we fought for it. I have to say that I think if one of us had been a man (we are both women) we probably would have been treated differently when there was obviously a miscommunication.

Bottom line: it's a great location, and if you're willing to put up with a grumpy old man telling you what will make you comfortable, and if you're pretty low-key and don't care which room you're put in, it's a must-stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MereMO
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We had a great three night stay at Island View Resort. We did get instructions by email on how to get there from Dieter, which we followed with no problems, and arrived without a hitch. Dieter and Jimmy were very welcoming and we were shown to our rooms on the jetty. We had only booked our rooms directly through the website a week before and hoped to be able to stay on the jetty, so we were really happy. The rooms were very neat and clean and through the double glass sliding doors, the scenery was stunning.
Dieter arranged a five island tour in a little boat just for us (2 adults, 2 teenagers). This was the real highlight for me. It was amazing. I thought I had died and gone to heaven! The water was glassy, warm and calm. We swam and snorkelled all day. Just the best! We saw other boat trips doing the same but they were huge fishing type boats with 20 or so passengers on them. We got the better deal by far! I'm sure Dieter has made sure that whatever he has to offer in the way of activities, they are the best around.
For three days we swam from the floating pontoon, slept, ate, relaxed, ate some more.....watched the sun rise. It is a beautiful place.
We found Dieter and Jimmy and their wives to be amazing hosts. With reviewing Island View, I really believe that if you treat people how you would like to be treated, then you are not often disappointed. We had many chats with Jimmy, and when we left, felt like we were saying goodbye to a good friend. I would certainly recommend staying here, and I hope to be able to return on our next trip to Thailand.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Raineanne
Reviewed 10 December 2013

First of all. Do pay attention to the e-mail you get in front of your stay. I did not and it cost me a lot to get there. Because the place is in the end of the road on the east side of the island.
But it is a wonderful and peaceful place to stay with some stunning sunrises. We had a room on the pier, which I recommend. It is so wonderful to go to bed and sleep with the sound of the lazy waves.
The food is excellent and the prices are reasonable vs. the high standard of the food. The sail dingy and cat was not operative when we was there, which was the only major negative issue of our stay. But thanks to Dieter, we had a awesome day of sightseeing with a local fisherman in his clean small boat around several smaller islands. This is a trip I can recommend.
I can really recommend this place if you want peace and quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for the room at the end of the pier. You get an extra window and a cool airflow at nights without the noise from the aircon..
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Before I even got to Thailand I tried to research a place I could sail in a small hobie cat or laser, this location looked like the perfect place and despite the previous reviews we steeled ourselves towards enjoying the short time we have left on our holiday.

The trip from Pattaya was pretty long, if you want some advice on getting to and away from the island I can provide it if you want to message me as it was difficult to understand how everything worked until we experienced it.

So we arrived after our driver got a little lost after a long drive and a little confusion as to where the hotel was, when you reach a carpark which seems like the end of the road you have arrived. The fee to get there is 100 baht as of nov 2013, from the ferry terminals, however this is if you are in a group of people. Around 5 people are required to get to the resort if you don't have that many people the bill of about 500 baht will have to be split between the remaining people, it is quite a distance to travel and would take over 40 minutes to get there, often with no people to return in the taxi which is why drivers are apprehensive of taking passengers there.

So we arrived and saw the sign saying the resort was 150m walk down the road, no cars can go down there as it is only really wide enough for scooters.

You turn left up a pier marked with the hotel name and the reception is on the pier. We were checked in by Jimmy, he seemed nice enough and was very matter of fact but accommodating. The room we booked was apparently up the hill opposite the pier, at the time we walked up and were in the room a loud shrill noise could be clearly heard above everything, Jimmy suggested we startled something and it would stop soon, however as my girlfriend was going to be staying at the room while I was on the water (as she can't swim) she wanted to move over to the pier as the noise of whatever insect or bird could not be heard from that area otherwise we would have to look for somewhere else to stay.

Jimmy was fine with that and said he didn't want us to be uncomfortable so he called his boss to check whether the room was available, we asked whether we could stay the night in the room on the pier however they said the rooms were booked out and we would have to stay in this room tonight.

We decided to stay the night as we had to pay for one night anyway with booking.com and had no real idea of any other options as we were isolated from the rest of the island and (we thought) other accommodation options, however walking around the next day we saw rooms at the salakpet resort and restaurant for rent.

That night we talked to Dieter, he seemed annoyed and asked if we did not like the hotel and why we did not want to stay, we had already found out the hotel rooms were available on the pier as 4 rooms were free that night (there are only 6-8 or so rooms that I can remember on the pier) and after talking to a couple in the adjacent room that told us we were in the smaller room (midsized) as they had booked previously in the larger rooms and had moved, they paid less for the larger rooms via agoda than for the rooms they were staying @ 1200 baht per night and had talked with management about this, the response they received was a tirade about agoda charging him a 20% commission.

Anyway I digress, so we were talking about cancelling our last two days and Dieter asked whether we would consider staying if we had the rooms we requested on the pier earlier, which seemed magically available. We had by then had enough and decided to leave the next day, so he suggested we should offer him some compensation as he had calls that day and had to turn people away as the hotel was fully booked based on our bookings.

He then said we cannot cancel the booking for the final two days of the three day stay as we would have to contact booking.com. Due to a lack of wifi in the room we were trying to get wifi from the dock during the day however Jimmy could not get it working, we asked Dieter later that night how to contact booking.com when the wifi was not working, as he previously said it was broken, and he switched the router on.

Our booking required us to pay 1 nights accommodation in the case of cancellation and the full amount in the case of a no show, however another guest in the same situation as us was told he would be charged the full amount and he had to get in contact with booking.com, however the wireless internet was not working and he was unable to get into contact with them.

Btw, If you need wifi, the salakpet restaurant has free wifi at the restaurant and the food and drinks are reasonable, they have a lot of live seafood like sharks and groupers at the end of the pier in large nets that you can look at as well as accommodation on the pier and rentals/tours etc...

After talking with our adjoining room mates we decided to share a taxi to the other side of the island as they wanted to move there, they had a good time there and admitted although Dieter was a handful if you followed his rules and listened to his stories he wasn't much trouble. They added it may have helped they were from Europe and it took a little convincing to be able to achieve this and we were the fourth group of people in their 5 day stay who had people checking out on the first day of their stay, some were due to the remoteness of the location, which may not have been apparent I guess unless you read reviews although even with reviews it was a longer way away than I thought it wold be.

We ended up leaving the next day, I asked how I could organize use of the kayak in the morning as I planned to go for a quick paddle to at least get something out of the planning I had done in the way of watersports. After saying good morning and sitting around for a while I plucked up the courage to ask about how the kayaks worked waiting for an explanation of details. Dieter exclaimed "Aren't you checking out today? ".

I said yes, wondering what that had to do with it, as I was still at the hotel. I pushed on asking how I could use the kayak, he said how many people?

I was the only one on the pier ready to go for a paddle and had already told him last night my girlfriend would not go out on the water as she could not swim, to which he replied "I think you are wrong, that is what life vests are for" which was great comfort to someone who cannot swim and is scared of even a deep pool. Quite obviously the kayak was for me, one person.

This suited him as there were only 2 person kayaks available ready to go, on top of that the only time the kayaks could be used was at 8 oclock when he had a staff member available.

So even though I thought the shrilling noise waking us up at 5 am would be a bonus as I could get an early kayak session in the time kayaks can hit the water is 8am only.

It was pretty clear by the demeanor and way we were being dealt with I wasn't going to be able to use the Kayak anyway so we gave up, walked to the carpark and the little shop there and got a coke, we asked the lady there how much to the other side of the island and got a price of 800 baht for the 4 of us, normally 500 baht to the pier, and as we found out later 60 baht per person was the cost to Klong prao, or whatever the beach we were on was called.

We paid for our one night in the mid sized room for 1300 baht, we knew the price was for the larger room but the small rooms to large were 1100, 1200 & 1300 baht respectively so we chose the biggest because it was only 100 baht more even though we didn't need it. The people in the same room adjoining us confirmed the room cost 1200 baht per night however when we remarked this to the owner he said he considered that room to be a deluxe, not sure why there are three different room types on booking.com or on the resorts own website for that matter showing images of the different room types and differences between them if they are considered all the same.

We had breakfast at the salakpet pier and use their wifi to check out the other side of the island but decided to just follow the people we got the taxi with to the other side of the island to a place called pp guesthous, pretty new big rooms with aircon and 700 baht per night, with no internet or pool, and a very hard bed, but directly across from a sandy swimming beach (not rocky like some of the places on lonely beach).

The beach was really nice, a couple of quiet restaurants on the beach and unlike the other side of the island the water was ok to swim in.

The side of the island we were on was great for sailing or kayaking as you could go to small islands offshore and it was more sheltered, however I never got a chance to go out there and explore around.

After the second day we had enough of island life and now are in Bangkok getting ready to go back home.

Although I learnt some lessons in Koh Chang I didn't really enjoy the experience, and I guess that is what real travel is, although I wanted this to be more of a holiday.

If you have the time and patience to deal with the manager, who is omnipresent looking over every detail of your stay and movements, and are looking for somewhere secluded with German speakers this may be the place for you, the kayaks are definitely a bonus if you get to use them, never got a chance to figure out how the sailing works but I think it may be 2000 baht per day hire for a laser sailing dinghy, the info booklet said the bookings were at the discretion of the boat instructor or something, not sure what that means...

Otherwise, book one night in the small room on the pier, act nice, hope for the best and good luck, hope you have a better time than I did.

Also the hot water and TV weren't working and there was gecko droppings on our bed, water and drinks at the shops are around 20-50% cheaper at neighboring shops and restaurants. Can't comment on the food as we weren't hungry at the time the kitchen was open.

I know there will be some sort of rebuttal to this review from the owner about how we were rude or argumentative or whatever, and that is fair enough every story has two sides, however I hope this review provides some insight into what happened on one trip, and I am not implying it happens on everyone's trip as evidenced by the many polarized glowing reviews and opposing ones.

Room Tip: Get a room on the pier, the sound of the wild from the forest starts at 5 am and doesn't end until after dark. Although others have complained about sounds of water I would have preferred this to the forest. There aren't many rooms on the hill, two are adjoined with a door which can be unlocked without a key from one of the rooms, we noticed this when talking to our neighbour and trying the handle as it is a push button lock on our side, so we could have opened it at any time. We did not see the rooms above us as we were in the middle option room even though we paid for the larger size room however the other couple who stayed in those rooms said the view was not as good as there were a few more trees obscuring the room they were in. I've tried to give an idea of the layout as it's hard to see what the deal is from the website or pictures, basically there is a pier with maybe 8 rooms and the adjoining plot is owned by the resort, there is a ramshackle boat repair/junkyard net to the pier and a gate where you walk up a driveway to the rooms. The pool has a stairway up from the driveway and from the upper level and room adjacent to the pool. There are 2 rooms next to the pool with a connecting door and an upper level with maybe 5 more rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Adaveinthelife
Reviewed 5 October 2013

first me and my girlfriend we came and we drive by way to the west coast, really dangerous roads (hard to believe), than...white sand beach,lonely beach,but not more lonely like it was year's ago, plenty of quirky cobbled together shops and bars and so many people and cars, we didn't like it, we thought we are in small Pattaya from where we have just come, that was sad, because Ko Chang has much more of a tropical island than this, we was looking for an quite and peaceful place to enjoy our small holiday.Than we spoke to the driver, we want go and drive to the east side by map and found the Island View Resort.The road to Salak Phet was very good and the view of the mountains and fishing villages tropical.
Wow.....what an amazing location and view of the Resort, we never seen before, complete privacy, no noice of cars and traffic, lovely modern room and the food in the open airy area was perfect and very tastefully, just amazing...and the swimmingpool great.The view from our schwimminpool indescribably
The Resort Manager Dieter could not have been more helpfully and making our holiday perfect, all the things you want to do on holiday. We took an Kajak to the island Koh Sai Khao,they are so many small islands around and the water are so clean, just an beautiful area! He could arrange anything and he is a fascinating person to talk to having lived on the island for so many years. In our opinion this was a complete surprise. We really felt like we were in paradise, something that we will remember for a long time.Thank you so much for renting out your beautiful place to us and making our stay in Koh Chang so fantastic. It was a really wonderful time and we definitely going back to koh Chang and hopefully to stay at your place again.

Best regards
J.Alan

Room Tip: i liked every one from Island view resort...pierside or mountainside (swimmingpool)
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Jimmy4u