“Very good, almost perfect”

Ka-Ti Culinary Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 231 Restaurants in Ko Chang
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Authentic Thai food by the family recipes .
Ko Chang, Thailand
“Very good, almost perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stay in Koh Chang all year so I have the time to check all the very good restaurants here. I took cashew nuts and chicken, with a lemon grass salad with shrimps and a simple Thai omelette. My girlfriend who is a Thai cuisine chief said all was good but was not impressed. I was personally very happy about the food and I will detail later the pro and cons of this place in total objectivity.
The bad things were that the staff gave us water with no ice. We asked ice and got ice but it was almost impossible to drink without a straw, so I asked about a straw, and we got only one. We decided to give up with the staff who seems to be untrained low paid Cambodian people and shared the straw. The second thing I disliked was the smell from the bathroom. It was clearly smelling bathroom all over the place and maybe they had a temporary problem that they should fix as soon as possible if they do not want to get negative reviews. Eating good food in a s*t smell is not exactly a good experience. Next time I will take away. The last complain, I asked mai sai pet (no chilly) for everything and got the salad spicy, which I didn't complained because I had enough with the glass water and straw and wanted to have a good time.
Now on the positive side: the food is good! That's what is the most important after all. I have checked so many restaurant all over the world that I can say that the chief is well trained and knows what he/she is doing. The sauce is not over fat, like in so many Thai restaurant where the food is floating in a cup of palm oil. So the food there is healthy.
It is also tasty, the cashew nuts (and I suppose the sweet and sour as it is almost the same recipe) have plenty of ananas (pineapple or saparot depending from where you come from). In Koh Chang you get some of the best pineapple money can buy due to the proximity of the huge plantations around Trat. Having a lot of fruit and vegetable make everything so much tasty!
The kung (prawn in English) were huge, 6 of them and when the bill comes you have the feeling that the price is deserved, so thanks for choosing the best quality ingredients!
Only about the food I would have rated 5*, but the staff lack of training and care, and the smell from the bathroom make me removing one *, it would be not fair to vote 5* with these annoyances. It is not the best in Koh Chang (try Ann at Lonely Beach for example and get about the same quality for 1/2 of the price). I highly recommend this place if you don't want to try some more obscure place where food is good, cheap but the place is more 'Thai style'.
I paid 345 bath total, which was reasonable for the quality, and I will come again.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Antwerpen
“Expected better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

We went to ca-ti restaurant because of all the great reviews we read on TA. It's a nice cosy restaurant with good and friendly service. If some people say this is the best Thai food they had during their stay in Thailand, I wonder where they 've been eaten before because the food we took was just average. Did we order the wrong dishes? I don't think so. We ordered the recommended spring rolls and the snapper (also recommended). The spring rolls were ok but I had better ones in most local Thai restaurants at home. The snapper was fried so dry that it tasted more like a portion of fish and chips on Brighton Pier. In contrast with all the other people there that night, almost fighting to make a reservation for the next day (only God knows why), we will look for a better restaurant tonight!

Visited November 2013
Odessa, Ukraine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,541 helpful votes
“The best we had on Koh Chang”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

We're tried several restaurants on Koh Chang - but Ka-Ti was the only place we went twice.

You can't compare it to the standard Thai street-food, it's cooking on another level. The curries are thick and tasty, not just watery and bland.

We had the fish with Tamarind douce, which was exceptional.

The location is nice, the service quite good (but I wouldn't care because the food was so good).

Prices are above average - but that's okay at the quality served.

Oh, and yes, better espresso than the Italian restaurants serve.

Pathum Thani
“Mouthwatering experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Came here with my family to eat dinner and wasn't disappointed. Their foods are prepared according to the customers liking (spicy for me, mild spicy for the wife and not spicy for our kid) and MSG can be deleted from the list of raw materials used. My Pad Krapaw was great tasting, my wife indulged in Tom Yam, while our boy loved to slurp his Thai Noodle soup. Prices were moderate, service speedy and efficient. The only drawback was their lack of my favorite soda "Coke Zero".

• Visited October 2013
Middelburg, The Netherlands
“Verry delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

This restaurant is now along my top 3 of Koh Chang based restaurants. The food is off high quality that what you are paying for.It is a bit more costly then a normal thai restaurant. But its worth every bath.