“A nice surpirse”

Ranked #56 of 106 Ko Chang B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“A nice surpirse”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This place was a welcome relief from the noisy resorts of White beach and lonely beach. This is a cheap place to stay compared to a lot of others around, yet it is clean, quiet and comfortable. ( I will warn westerners that the bed may be a bit firm.) On arrival we were greeted with nice friendly smiles. This continued for the whole stay. The breakfast was limited but good. There are many restaurants nearby to eat. I recommend the restaurant opposite the resort. The beach is a bit of a walk out of the Resort turn right then take the next left down passed the Amari to the end of the paved road walk another 50 meters then turn left follow the track to the beach.

Room Tip: When we stayed there. It was just after Songkran so It was only 30% occupied. We had a ground floor...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bobsufc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Thai first
Irkutsk, Russia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Unfortunately, I and my husband stayed in this hotel. We were on Koh Chang on tai new year, and did not booked the hotel in advance, so have chosen among the rest. In principle, everything arranged by reviews, and we planed if we like it to stay here for a few days. After check in, we realized that just will not stay here. Everything is old, there is no repairs hundred years, dirty pool. On the bottom of the pool, there is an inscription on the tile "sofia", it is not visible because of dirty water.
We, in principle, are not fussy and never complain, the more it was our fault that we have not booked a hotel in advance.
But the staff, it is the worst staff, that I have ever met. It is our fifth time that we are in Tai, and usually we stop in 3 or 4 hotels every our trip.
At first, I asked the woman on the reception if can she give us one more blanket. I ask it in every hotel, somebody gives us it, somebody say "sorry, but we don't have it". But in Sofia Garden I heard for the first time "100 Batt'))) .
The next day, we decided to book the transfer to Rayong in our hotel. The manager from reception made a call and said - 1300Batt for 2 person. I asked if it is a ticket to Rayong, he said no, it is only taxi to Koh Chang pier (?????). I asked again, if this price include boat, may be bus to rayong, but he said no, that is a price only for taxi to pier.
So, we decided to book the transfer on the street, he began to propose us to call our price. But in this case I am not realy now that it may be the price to say.
We began to go away, and then he threw after us 'so get away",and began roughly resent that spent their time and money on his phone.
In short, the first time I meet with such an attitude.
I found a men who is a main manager)) in this hotel, but he said that now it is a holiday (new year) and he don't want to hear the problems, he have a rest.
in general this is my impression

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Лариса С

Travellers are raving about these Ko Chang hotels

Koh Chang
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I only stayed one night, because I was on the way of the Island. Very nice and clean rooms, nice staff too. The breakfast was good, and there was a nice quiet feeling around the hole resort. And if you want to stay away from all the party-areas, then this resort is a good option!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Lonelybeachresort
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed here 6 nights. This wasn't our first choice but we booked a little bit late.
Downsides - the bed is terrible. I've been living and travelling in Asia for 7 years and it's the worst bed. Hard and uncomfortable. The floor would be better. They did bring another mattress cover for all rooms, it made the bed marginally better. The washroom was not the cleanest and had trouble with hot water in our room. Leaky sinks as well.
With the service, the one man did not know how to help us with the hot water and things you should know working in Ko Chang (good places near by, where does the snorkelling go that the resort offer).
The good - the pool is nice. Has a good location on the main road. Yes, it does not have direct beach access and takes about 15 mins to the beach, but it's too hard to get to. And rewarding with a nice beach! You can rent bikes (take caution with traffic).
Besides Scandinavians, I would not recommend this place. Backpackers and people who like nightlife would like lonely beach. The other resorts on the beach are more money but offer much more (beachside, more comfortable and cleaner rooms).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matthew T
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Sofia garden is situated on Klong prao beach which has not a lot going on there. I'm 22 with a friend backpacking which we were hoping for a more lively atmosphere. What reviews fail to mention is that lonely beach (known for the good nightlife) cannot actually be takn advantage of as cabs stop going to and from there after 12 midnight due to the very bendy roads. So unless you wanted to finish your night early, going to lonely beach for the evening isn't really an option. On the other side of Klong prao beach is white sands beach. This each is the most busiest however from our hostel it was a 20-25 mins taxi ride which in the late hours of the morning, taxi men tend to take advantage of us drunken Brits and over charge by about 500 baht!! Nevertheless the staff here were great and there are several bars and restaurants near by with plenty of activities. If you are wanting something with a more chilled vibe, I suggest here. Beach is 15-20 walk. Not bad at all! Amazing beach!

• Stayed December 2013
Trat, Thailand
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed at Sofia resort staff friendly you can rent motorbike, roomies cleaned everyday, the only down fall was the bed, king size bed with 2 single mattresses, one bigger than the other which made it very uncomfortable. If the bed mattresses was to be changed it would be good. I noticed that many guest complained about the bed

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a good bed before you book
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed here 4 nights booked on agoda.
Its a nice looking resort with a nice pool and plenty of tropical trees/ plants.
The room's are a bit small with a kingsize bed ,which is two single's put together. Had a problem with my original room which was on the ground floor. It smelt damp and was humid,there was aircon but even that did'nt make a real difference.So I changed room's ,now i'm on top with a small balcony...fine but then the sink was blocked,water comming up then the shower leaver would'nt work.So I saw the manageress,a very nice compotant woman both problems fixed in the morning. So why do I say resort to caution....it's the water supply,it's a sort of mild redy brown. This was the water for the shower ,the loo,the sink. I was told it was fine BUT if your a male and shave this could get you an infection ( possibly ). It's not the resorts problem as a thai woman I know near the temple told me her water can sometimes be the same. If your a family and you stay here,stay as far away from the pool as you can as it attracts people at night for a drink.The second night I stayed here,a party went on past 3 a,m.
The manageress said she was not told.

Room Tip: Have a top room ,if your a family with kidds ,take a room away from the pool area. It look's ni...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo