“Roadside Restaurant”

Mak Mak Family Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 246 Restaurants in Ko Chang
Price range: US$2 - US$14
Cuisines: Italian, Thai
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Description: Mak Mak is a cozy family restaurant which serves Thai food as well as French and Italian and has a extended choice of Seafood Bbq in High Season. The restaurant is half closed, half open and has a big bar in the center and a free 8" Pool table. There is a childrens playground in the garden.
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I really really cannot understand anyone calling this place " awesome".

It's a roadside cafe on a dusty, smelly, busy road in a downmarket tacky tourist street full of dirty roadside eateries and sex bars.

If you are staying in Kai Bae Beach area and you need somewhere to eat - this may be one of the more hygienic cheap food options in the area but the only people who can call this awesome are backpackers.

The food was ok - and cheap - but its a downmarket tourist trap and not a culinary hidden gem.

We didn't have time to finish our food as the owner encourages under age flame throwing children to " perform" in the road entrance to his cafe in extreem close proximety to the outdoor seating by turning up the music extreemly load.

3  Thank GLJDavies
e_nieuwkerk, Owner at Mak Mak Family Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. After reading your other reviews for Koh Chang it is clear to me that our island did not met up to your high expectations. Koh Chang is still a typical Thai island that is slowly being discovered by more and more tourists. Kai Bae is a typical family orientated village. My customers are mainly families and couples who are not looking for Haute cuisine. We serve Thai food, pizza, steak and pastas. Our concept is good food for a reasonable price.
Concerning the fireshow. I do not encourage these children but by occasion i let them perform a fireshow outsite my restaurant. These children are Cambodian and therefor not allowed to go to a public school in Thailand. There is a private school for cambodian children on the island but most parents can not afford that since they have to support the family back home. These children make money by performing a fireshow to pay for their education. Sorry that it was to close to your table. I will certainly discuss this with them, the next time they come by.
I would have appreciated it if you informed me about the fact you were not able to finish your dinner. For sure i would have compensated you.

Edwin Nieuwkerk

Reviewed 7 March 2013

Nice place to have something fresh and veg food. We liked pasta and some veg Thai dishes here. Pizza, unfortunately, has eggs, so we were disappointed. Service was good, and location is also near to our resort (Centara). Only issue may be - no aircon- only fans...

1  Thank KDMumbai
Reviewed 4 March 2013

good pizza for a change and good thai food as well but I liked the beach front better. Mai tai worst ever though.

1  Thank Pipsa1971
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Very nice and clean restaurant in Kai Bae.
Staff was .very friendly and delicious Thai food was served.
Due to second kitchen also possible to order European food.
Great place to visit

Reviewed 9 February 2013 via mobile

If you wanna have the best italian pizza in Koh Chang, you just can find it there. I visit Koh Chang three years already and I always come a lot of times in here to eat my most favourite pizza. Not just the pizza even the Thai food is one of the best I tried. The owners, Edwin and his wife are leading the restaurant together. They and the waiters fulfill every wish of the costumers and the service is very friendly and you never need to wait a long time for your order, what actually is not typical for Thailand :) The restaurant looks very beautiful and charming, the toilet is clean, there also is a children playground and for adults there is a free pooltable. After the nice meal you also have the possibility to enjoy a real Italian icecream and to take a nice drink and the bar.
Its a real must to come in here.
Thank you Mak Mak from my side and I surely will come again.
Martin & Tamara