“why do they keep their baby elephant tied up in solitary confinement?”

Ban Chang Thai - Elephant Camp
Ranked #17 of 62 things to do in Ko Chang
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“why do they keep their baby elephant tied up in solitary confinement?”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My group of travelers had visited the Kong Plu Waterfall on Koh Chang and were heading home and we drove past the Baan Chang Elephant park after it had closed for the day. The area was deserted except for their young elephant, who was tethered all alone in a small enclosure. There was no one around and the baby elephant was pacing and swaying as much as his tether would allow...clearly in distress. I saw no food or water. Elephants are social, family-group animals and this treatment seems cruel and NOT what a place that calls itself a sanctuary should do. I would never recommend any animal lover visit there...I hope there is an investigation of their activities with all their elephants.

Visited July 2014

75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 140 helpful votes
“Brilliant experience,”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

What's a wonderful day out, feed the elephants then go for a ride, take your shorts and towel and go play in the pools from the waterfalls, a truly amazing experience , my biggest concern was would they treat the elephants well and I must admit yes they do, the keepers have a great care for the animals and seem to enjoy the day just as much I did,

Visited May 2014
Birmingham
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Unsure!”
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

The experience of seeing the elepants was amazing, and you get so close to them, feeding them and bathing them which is something I will never forget.
However I found it distressing to watch the elephants chained up, and occasionally saw a mahout hit the elephant with a bull hook, although usually it was just a tap it still upset me. I don't think I would have chosen this place if I knew they used bull hooks. This being said, the mahouts clearly loved the elephants and took care of them and the guide explained to us why they chained up the elephants and also disiplined them. All the elephants on the park have been resucued from mistreatment so they're quality of life is much better here and I believe that this park treats their elephants much better than other parks that offer similar experiences. We also rode the elephants bare back, which is much kinder than using chairs. Bathing the elephants was amazing as the elephants were so happy in the water.

Overall, the experience was good despite the use of bull hooks and chains, and I am very torn as whilst it seems cruel the elephants are offered a better quality of life than where they were rescued from. Compared to the majority of elephant parks in Thailand this is a kinder one

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Scj5
Tallinn, Estonia
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Nice attracion with the kids”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I- sorry we liked a warm welcoming and an educational part of this trip to our children and also us. We didn`t see any painful activities to the elephants and we discoverd a jungle and found ourthelvels in the streets with the cars and motorbikes and also in the rivers with the elephant bathing at the same trip. We liked it!!!

Visited October 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nice, but not great”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

It was quite a nice setting, and it was nice to be there, but just a bit dis enchanting. I wouldn't say that the animals were badly treated, I just wouldn't say that the elephants are seen to be important beings, more just objects. Quite rushed feeling too, go here, take photo, go there, go home. I would have appreciated being able to sit with them calmly a while, just feeling each other's presence.

1 Thank Rosscosalad