“My favourite place to stay on Koh Chang”
Review of KLKL Hostel

KLKL Hostel
Ranked #83 of 107 Ko Chang B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Great value. Friendly staff. Honestly it is one of the best places I've ever stayed on an island. It's location is ideal if you want to hit up the bars or the beach. If it wasn't for the KLKL I don't think I would go to Lonely Beach as often as I do.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Justjjp
There are newer reviews for KLKL Hostel

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Definitely cute, but basic bungalow,. This is a budget hostel, nothing fancy basic... for about $25 a night. You have a bed and inexpensive side table and stool. Sheets are pretty clean but you will get a random blanket upon check in if you don’t have your own. Lighting is limited especially if you don’t open up the windows, it is pretty dark. Not really secure so kind of scary if you are alone... pretty easy for someone to break in. There are no glass panels or screens on the windows. I felt like I had to watch my back at all times and didn't always feel safe to leave valuables including my passport. Flooring is some kind of plastic (not linoleum) with a tile design. Bathroom pipes smelled funny and smell traveled to room, not to mention noisy. I had to try to keep spraying my deodorant and body spray to try to cover up the strange unpleasant smell. The bungalows are two story, one unit in each floor so you can hear the pipes when the neighbor uses the restroom or takes a shower especially if you are in the bottom floor. Bring your own toilet paper! Walls are some kind of metal sheets in places so place is kinda noisy and vibrates at times. Stayed in a fanned bungalow and mosquito net just fell from the ceiling and couldn't be put back. You need the mosquito net unless you don’t mind being bitten since the place does have mosquitoes that come in from the uncovered window vents in the bathroom. Don't stay here if you plan to sleep especially if they put you in one of the bungalows closest to the main road/center of town. There are two bars that blast music, competing with each other, every night until 5:30 or 6AM in the morning. And your bungalow with metal walls will shake and vibrate with the bass… boom, shake, rattle, boom. The noise will also come in through the uncovered bathroom window vents and so can’t be muffled. I didn't know the noise situation offhand, so after falling asleep around 12:30AM I woke up at sweating at 2AM thinking I had malaria or some tropical fever and that I was having heat flashes and hallucinating with the pounding repetitive bass shaking my bungalow with each beat. Nightmare, especially since I had just arrived from Los Angeles and endured a 8 hour bus ride... definitely not what I was expecting. I guess I had imagined a beach bungalow and some rest and relaxation. Even with earplugs I couldn't sleep plus the vibrating walls. I had pre-booked so I had no choice… no refunds. Some of the staff is cool, but others simply don't care. When asked to switch rooms, to be farther from the bar, one guy just laughed and said didn't you know about Lonely Beach. He didn't even pretend to care and he was quick to dismiss my concerns. Luckily, the manager came in in the afternoon and was nicer and authorized the change. But after that the rest of the staff gave me the cold shoulder for asking to switch rooms... like I was branded for complaining. Again, this is good place for those on a budget who plan to party all night and sleep during the day or who can sleep through anything. The best thing about this place is the very spotless beautiful pool... if you plan on using it. It is quite pretty and there are lots of colorful inexpensive beach chairs around. Also this place is in town, so convenient for food, partying, shopping etc. The main sandy beach is about a 15-20 minute walk. I wouldn't recommend this place or stay here again if you want to relax by the beach… maybe if you are on a budget and just want to party all night. I like to have fun too but and not this much. I do want some rest too, so I have energy to see the sites etc. I am pretty sure you can find cheaper... you are paying for the cuteness as a whole, but again pretty simple with issues. Oh yeah POOR internet and you need a new code every day since it changes.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank B L
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights with friends. The rooms are decent and clean with hot water and a powerful shower. My friend and I stayed in an upstairs room which was much better as we were able leave the balcony doors open the whole 4 days (a security risk mind but it helped to keep the room cool). Not sure if there are air con rooms - we had only a fan. The room also has a mosquito net.

The place has a pool which is lovely, set in beautiful, well kept grounds and a decent common area. The place hasn't been open long I think. It's a pretty chilled place and we met some great people.

The things that would stop me coming back are:

1. Wifi is awful. My friends and I had to constantly re enter the details and after 3 days of being there, it just gave up completely and I couldn't connect.

A minor issue in relation to wifi is that there's no signal in the rooms.

2. You get barely any sleep as the music from the nearby 'pub street' keeps going until around 4am. Not a lot the hostel can do about this I know but just be warned re the lack of sleep.

The location is pretty decent though although Lonely Beach isn't big anyway.

I liked the place but I think the lack of sleep, rubbish wifi and price - 700 for the bungalow in off season - would stop me from coming back here again. You might as well pay less for the same elsewhere.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mobot2012
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

The room was basic but clean. Giant Open windows if you are chilling in the room. Decor in the lounge was cool and creative. Pool was nice and atmosphere of the palm trees everywhere was beautiful. Definitely recommended for backpackers and young couples looking for good vibrations. Walk to the beach a bit down the road

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We stayed for just one night here then moved to a different location.

If I was 20 I would have loved it, but we found the rooms too small, there was no glass/or netting on the windows so you couldn't have them open at night (mosquito nets on the bed, mind you), and it was just a bit too backpackery for us now. It was also very noisy at night - not from the hostel, but the bars close by.

The room was clean enough and very nicely painted, and the staff, while not exactly overly friendly, were decent.

Have stayed in much better for the price, but you know...it was OK.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2014

This is a great place the pool is lovely rooms big and clean, nice communal area to chill use your iPad or watch a movie on the tv in a deck Chair. Staff are friendly but don't hassle you. If I go to koh Chang again I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doyzone
Reviewed 3 January 2014

AMAZING!! Loved our stay in Lonely Beach and KLKL made it even better. The rooms are clean and the pool is amazing. The staff was super friendly and welcoming. KLKL is close enough to the parties but you are not sleeping above the party.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends