“Getting worse year on year!”

Klong Prao Resort Koh Chang
Ranked #19 of 73 Hotels in Ko Chang
London
“Getting worse year on year!”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Back in 2008 me and my wife spent our honeymoon at Klong Prao resort and at the time we really enjoyed it. We come back to Koh Chang every year and I am currently writing this review from Tranquility Bay in Bangbao Koh Chang. We hadn't booked a hotel before arriving last week and thought we would check into Klong Prao for a few nights despite being thoroughly disappointed last year with the state of dis-repair. We travelled with our 20 month old daughter and found this year that the place is falling apart. The rooms are very tired and I would say havent been touched since the resort was built more than 10 years ago. The towels we all stained, air con in the rooms was useless and again probably hadn't been serviced since being installed. All three of us found it very hard to sleep and although we had planned to stay for two nights we checked out the next morning felling thoroughly disappointed. It's a huge shame as the resort has probably the best beach in the island and used to live up to its reputation as one of the islands luxury hotels. My wife spoke to the staff in Thai and was told that they receive complaints daily from guests but the owners never listen and it was getting very frustrating for them too.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
18 Thank JuanElLondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We booked seven nights here as a treat at the end of two months of traveling and staying in inexpensive guesthouses. Unfortunately, most of those guesthouses were far more enjoyable the the Klong Prao Resort.

We had booked a deluxe sea view room, the second most expensive in the resort. It turned out to be a not deluxe, garbage view room. When I complained, I was offered a no view room, and then was offered my original room...after I had packed all my belongings. Eventually, we were given a better room which did qualify as sea view, and "shabby deluxe."

Cleanliness is an issue. For example a tray of dirty plates and leftover food was left in the corridor outside our room for more than two days. No wonder the ants were busy.

The resort was packed, seemingly with Russian tour groups. Service was not bad, but not good...very impersonal.

In brief, I will probably stay on Klong Prao beach again, because it is the best on the island. However, I will not choose this resort. There are better options.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the garbage site!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Catherine E
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed at this resort last week for 2 x 3 nights (we went to koh kood for 2 nights before returning). There were 4 adults and 1 toddler (aged 23 months). We had 3 rooms between us. On the first 3 nights we had a deluxe garden view room and on the second stay we had the grade C rooms, which were cheaper. My advice - don't bother with the deluxe garden room - they are not worth the extra money and were a lot dingier and had twins beds rather than a double in the C rooms. The C grade rooms have a better view over the lagoon and had a huge balcony, shared with the room next door. For us, this was ideal as my sister was in the room next door.
Firstly, I will list the good points of the resort:
- great location on the island - easy to catch a baht bus (50B) up to White Sands or down to Kai Bea where there is much better night life.
- the shop, although not great, was very useful.
- the food in the beach restaurant was actually quite good, especially the bar-be-que and the terrible service (the staff were all very nice and pleasant, but just not good at their job)
- the beach is beautiful and very long - we went for a few walks up and down to coconut beach collecting shells and going on the rope swings.
The grounds of the hotel are well maintained and the lagoon had lots of fish in that my daughter loved feeding every day after breakfast

Now the bad points and unfortunately there are quite a few:
- the Russians. The vast majority of the guest were Russians and they are not the most friendly or polite of people. I regularly said hello to them while walking around and was mostly left with just a stare and definitely not so much as a smile back. Eating breakfast with them was unbelievable - I have never seen people put so much food on their plates!!
- the maintenance of the hotel is dire. This resort has the potential to be so much better than it is but unfortunately I think it is going to take new management to sort this place out. The pool area was a disgrace and was actually quite dangerous for my toddler in places as there were parts missing around the edge of the pool (the filter parts that the overlapping water falls into?) that my toddler kept insisting on putting her feet into, like they do. Everywhere you look there are broken things and things are just in a state of dis-repair - broken sunbeds, broken chairs on our balcony, bar stools at the pool bar at the point of collapse.
- the cleanliness of the room was not good. The rooms are cleaned every day and the sheets changed but the place just felt grimy from the moment of our arrival. The bathroom was a disgrace and I had to disinfect it before I could use it. The shower curtain was ripped and dirty and the toilet had to be cleaned before I dared sit on it also.
- The breakfast was not great and I had to remove the table cloth each morning as it had the previous occupants crumbs and stains on it still. The staff didn't cover the fruit up so of course it was covered in fruit flies. I only dared eat the eggs and bread but the Russians were tucking into all sorts of things that looked like they were left over from the night before.
- there was no cot available for our toddler, despite my request, and so she had to sleep on a mattress on our floor.
- we didn't manage to get a sun bed during our entire stay. One morning I walked down to the beach at 7am and every bed had a towel on it. There was a notice saying that if beds were left unattended for more than 1 hour, towels would be removed but this was not enforced.
Overall, location was great and for the price we paid, we were reasonably satisfied but I won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the deluxe garden view rooms - they are not worth the extra money.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank natcruz
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Klong Prao Resort - is a very nice hotel. We lived in Deluxe Building. It was very nice room with a big balcony. Linen and furniture is not new, but in very good condition. The bathroom was very big. There was many people in hotel, because it was a high season. This hotel has a very nice and big territory. We has an amazing ocean view from our room. Our condition was broken, but it was repaired very quickly.I reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bagin1981
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Overall I do not recommend this hotel.
I lived in bungalow, just near the reception. We met NY 2012 in clone prao resort.
Pluses:
Nice location, a lot of space, big area
Excellent breakfast, you can find anything there
Good beach
Good and not expensive restaraunt

Minuses:
Old bungalows, required renovation, noisy ac
NOISY. I lived not far from the restaurant, and till 10.30-11.00 they played music, live. On the main road just near the hotel there is a bar with live music. So you listen dance till midnight. And the noisiest were the most expensive bungalows!
New Year celebration is a separate story. They developed scene like for Woodstock, and starting from 6 pm till midnight they played the worst Russian music I ever heard. After midnight till 1 am hotel staff made their own dance.
This hotel doesn't care about people comfort at all. Most of the people were with children, so they were not happy to listen music all nights
Russians. The hotel become Russian oriented more and more. About 70% people were from former USSR. Even new year party led primarily in Russian.
Lack of sun beds on the beach. If you want to have a place - reserve it with the towel befor 9 am. After that time you will find all the places occupied by towels, but without people mostly.

Good place but needs new management, how understand what comfort is.

• Stayed December 2011
4 Thank Kuloi
Latvia
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I have stayed there 2 nights and I really like this property. If didn`t like something, then I even don`t remember it, cause territory and all surrounding was really nice!

+ beautiful territory with inside lake - seems like a park.
+ wide beach coast (everybody could take a sun near beach and don`t bother other person)
+ the best - didn`t need even to use umbrellas to protect against sun, but palms was the best and natural shadow)
+ wide rooms and standard room property was at refurbishment - so standard rooms will be absolutely new.
+ dinner at hotel restaurant is very good and prices is cheap
+ exactly of hotel entrance is shop street and as well bike rent
+ breakfast have more choice than other hotels and breakfast building located at lake coast

- minus don`t have, just enjoy!:)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Princeton BC Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Stayed here on April 8th to the 15th and had a fantastic holiday. Not a 5 star but the beach and resturant more than made up for it. The resturant staff and food were 5 star with full menu and they have a great barbeque every night also. The beach is difinetly 5 star..I was feeding dinner to 8 people and 2 bottles of good Austraian wine for 100 Canadian or 3000 bhat. The rooms were clean, big and had nice balconies.The only thing wrong with the room is that there is not enough plug-ins. Always go to the caribean for holidays but decided to visit Thailand this time. Very different style of resort but enjoyed it just the same. Very good breakfast which was included but you have to be there early. My son and his girlfriend and her family are Thai's and they go here all the time. We rented scooters just outside the main gate and I travelled all over the island looking at all the other beaches. There were some nicer resorts but they were all cramed togeather just like Cancun in Mexico. This beach is very private and only has this resort on it. Dollar for dollar, beach for beach this place is fantastic. I have stayed at a lot of resorts worldwide and while this isn't a 5 star it is the best on Koh Chang in my opinion.

Room Tip: Take an extension cord. Not enough plug-ins in rm
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family