“Decent lodging, terrible food” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of White Sand Beach Resort

White Sand Beach Resort
Ranked #58 of 109 Speciality Lodging in Ko Chang
New York City, New York
“Decent lodging, terrible food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

Our room here was for the most part quite nice. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean, the water pressure and heat were good, the location was great - just steps from the ocean. In fact, at night, when the tide was in, the waves crashed on the steps up to our bungalow, which was kind of neat. We did find a couple of large waterbugs / cockroaches in our room on a few occasions, and while that may be unavoidable in a location like this, it was kind of unpleasant. The power went out one night, leaving us without a fan and a sweltering hot room.

All of that is somewhat par for the course at this price range. What was not acceptable however, was the food. We ate at their restaurant the first night, and I think it was my worst meal in over a month in Southeast Asia. It was overpriced, which was the case for many of the restaurants right on the beach. But the serving sizes were tiny - seriously, the smallest serving of seafood I had in SEA, for the highest price, and it wasn't very good. And avoid the papaya salad - it tasted like a bowl of fish sauce with some vegetables in it. I can eat anything, and I wouldn't take more than a bite of this. My girlfriend somehow managed to put most of it down. I wish she hadn't; when I gave her a kiss good morning the next day, I thought she had been replaced in my bed overnight with a crab that had been dead and rotting on the beach for three days. It was one of those true tests of love. We made it through it though.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Thai first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Probably the worst place we've stayed in our 4 wks traveling se asia.
Reception took our passports and gave us the key on check in, said nothing and made us feel very unwelcome.
During our stay here we got sick and couldn't move hotels but had the worst experience. Loads of rubbish all over this side of the beach, roosters and birds wake you from 5am onwards, a worker started actually hammering the roof on our hut while we were inside sleeping. It went on for about half an hr before I said something and they said they must continue to fix the leak so we put up with it.
Later we realized he had trapped a rat inside the roof of our hut so all night we could hear screeching sounds and scratching which was extremely disturbing.
They never once changed our sheets, replenished our water or gave us any service whatsoever.
On top of all this, every time we ordered food from the restaurant we would get something we didn't order and just ate it anyway.
Honestly for 50 bucks a night, I couldn't be more disappointed and highly recommend you find elsewhere to stay for a relaxing time.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank mishappenings

Travellers are raving about these Ko Chang hotels

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Finding a perfect accommodation as a family of four is a difficult task. As parents you want some privacy and the reassurance that your kids can run around safely. That's why I was really happy to hear, after multiple times confirming that it was not a problem to have two beachfront huts side by side, it even stated on the booking voucher. I booked and fully paid the rooms 4 months in advance, which I wouldn't have done if I was not sure that I would get the rooms I requested. Well ... upon arrival we didn't got two rooms side by side, after complaining they gave us a room in the back saying it was beachfront and after asking my money back we ended up in a family room which was one big room next to the restaurant so my picture of perfect paradise was gone. Yes it is a nice location, quiet plenty of space on the beach. The rooms are what you can aspect from a budget bungalow on the beach, hard beds, no water pressure and the food in the restaurant was overpriced and not as nice as many other restaurants on this beach. This would all not matter if I had the rooms which I had reserved. A tip to avoid the same disappointment is to not book and just go there and look at the room first before paying. There are plenty of hotels on the beach and the busy part of the beach is not that bad because there are no boats.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank lieumoon
Norwich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

We went to stay on Koh Chnag for two day on our recent trip to Thailand and this is the second time I have stayed at Whote Sands in Koh Chang and if you are looking for a cheap and cheerful beach bungalow, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank andygrant
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

The location of these huts is fantastic - at the very chill end of a busy beach, tranquility only a ten minute walk away from the crowds. The huts on the beach are marvellous. No frills, and the bedding is not the most comfortable, but after a day out in the sun and sea, sleeping is not a problem. This is beach hut living as you imagine it. Tried a few things at the restaraunt - some were excellent and of decent value. Breakfast, however, did not fall into either category.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank BlackSeaPrincess
Bangkok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

Great location, the beach rooms are very simple but all you need when u are staying next to the beach! The only food I eat at the resort was the Breakfast and it was very good.

The resort have motorbikes for rent for 200-250BHT for 24h use.
Just a 10min walk from the resort u will find a lot of bars and good seafood restaurants.

Room Tip: U have beach view rooms that are more expensive but it is worth every penny!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andreas H
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2011

The resort is quite big where it stretches from one end to another.Quite far i think. My room for 4 is right at the beach front when i open my doof in the wee hours of the morning, i hear the gushing of the splashing waves ..... Since its's far away from other resort, you can enjoy the peacefulness and quiet. What else is nicer than the beach right in front of you....
Accomondation - The room for four is nice and comfortable. I would grade it as a three start resort as it has basic ammenities, nothing elegant. It comes with a tv , aircond two queen size bed. Rooms and the surrounding area is clean. Bed is comfy. It comes with free water and mini bar.
Food and Night life - If you prefer to walk to town or shop around, you can walk about 800m from the beach sand area to the town. Walking by the beach is simply nice. If its high tide, you can cut accross one or two of the resort, not to worry - the people in thailand are friendly.
Massage - right outside my bungalow, there are some area for massages. It's just lovely to have a nice oil massage right in front of the beach.
Beach - one of the lovely beach around far from many people. I just got back from koh wai or koh kood hence i cant say its the best beach around. But if you are staying there, would recommend a day trip to koh wai for sun tan and snorkelling.

Room Tip: Get those rooms right in front of the beach
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends