“Some Good Points, Some Average”

White Sand Beach Resort
Ranked #57 of 115 Speciality Lodging in Ko Chang
Nusa Lembongan, Indonesia
“Some Good Points, Some Average”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

The huts are at end of beach, is quiet at night, as long as you don’t get rowdy people close by. It’s a 20 minute walk to the main part of the beach, but it’s a nice walk, and who’s clockwatching when you’re there. Staff were neither good nor bad, we had no problems so didn’t really put them to the test. The restaurant didn’t really look appealing so we didn’t eat there. The hut was sparse, but it had all we needed, and also had a nice balcony. It was great to watch the sun go down with a cold beer or two.

At $60 a night it felt a bit steep, $40 would be a more realistic price. They were only a quarter full when we visited mid November; I guess if we hadn’t paid in advance we could have got a better deal.

There is a nice rustic café at the end of the beach which is great for breakfast or lunch.

Overall the place feels a bit tired, but we enjoyed it there, just don’t know if I’d go back, unless the rate was better. Probably should get 3½ stars.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one on the beach right at the end.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed here in january this year and had the best time. the staff were friendly the rooms adequate with a/c tv , fridge etc.. we had a beach front bungalow with a veranda and the views were amazing as were the sunsets! falling asleep whilst hearing nothing but the sea lapping was great! it was at a quite end of the beach. we was able to get up in the morning and go for a dip in the warm sea ( just 10 steps away from our veranda), drinks were replenished in our bungalow daily. the restuarent was good too only a few steps away. rock sands restuarant was just a a little walk along the beach for a change where they had a better variety of english food.
the village was a ten minute walk along the beach front too with many market shops and cafes etc... lots of tourist booking points for varies activities on the island.. we went elephant trekking through the jungle and was an amazing experience. we didnt get any beach sellers/beggers.. but there was a massuse just behind the bungalows who was very friendly and knows her stuff. i also had my hair braided whilst here and all 7 thai ladies that did it was lovely and friendly and couldnt do enough for me. we paid 1700 tbh a night and we would pay it again..
all in all we loved our stay at white sands beach resort its where we got engaged and its where we would like to return on our honeymoon in april.

Room Tip: def would advise a beach bungalow!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Our room here was for the most part quite nice. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean, the water pressure and heat were good, the location was great - just steps from the ocean. In fact, at night, when the tide was in, the waves crashed on the steps up to our bungalow, which was kind of neat. We did find a couple of large waterbugs / cockroaches in our room on a few occasions, and while that may be unavoidable in a location like this, it was kind of unpleasant. The power went out one night, leaving us without a fan and a sweltering hot room.

All of that is somewhat par for the course at this price range. What was not acceptable however, was the food. We ate at their restaurant the first night, and I think it was my worst meal in over a month in Southeast Asia. It was overpriced, which was the case for many of the restaurants right on the beach. But the serving sizes were tiny - seriously, the smallest serving of seafood I had in SEA, for the highest price, and it wasn't very good. And avoid the papaya salad - it tasted like a bowl of fish sauce with some vegetables in it. I can eat anything, and I wouldn't take more than a bite of this. My girlfriend somehow managed to put most of it down. I wish she hadn't; when I gave her a kiss good morning the next day, I thought she had been replaced in my bed overnight with a crab that had been dead and rotting on the beach for three days. It was one of those true tests of love. We made it through it though.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Probably the worst place we've stayed in our 4 wks traveling se asia.
Reception took our passports and gave us the key on check in, said nothing and made us feel very unwelcome.
During our stay here we got sick and couldn't move hotels but had the worst experience. Loads of rubbish all over this side of the beach, roosters and birds wake you from 5am onwards, a worker started actually hammering the roof on our hut while we were inside sleeping. It went on for about half an hr before I said something and they said they must continue to fix the leak so we put up with it.
Later we realized he had trapped a rat inside the roof of our hut so all night we could hear screeching sounds and scratching which was extremely disturbing.
They never once changed our sheets, replenished our water or gave us any service whatsoever.
On top of all this, every time we ordered food from the restaurant we would get something we didn't order and just ate it anyway.
Honestly for 50 bucks a night, I couldn't be more disappointed and highly recommend you find elsewhere to stay for a relaxing time.

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank mishappenings

Travellers are raving about these Ko Chang hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Finding a perfect accommodation as a family of four is a difficult task. As parents you want some privacy and the reassurance that your kids can run around safely. That's why I was really happy to hear, after multiple times confirming that it was not a problem to have two beachfront huts side by side, it even stated on the booking voucher. I booked and fully paid the rooms 4 months in advance, which I wouldn't have done if I was not sure that I would get the rooms I requested. Well ... upon arrival we didn't got two rooms side by side, after complaining they gave us a room in the back saying it was beachfront and after asking my money back we ended up in a family room which was one big room next to the restaurant so my picture of perfect paradise was gone. Yes it is a nice location, quiet plenty of space on the beach. The rooms are what you can aspect from a budget bungalow on the beach, hard beds, no water pressure and the food in the restaurant was overpriced and not as nice as many other restaurants on this beach. This would all not matter if I had the rooms which I had reserved. A tip to avoid the same disappointment is to not book and just go there and look at the room first before paying. There are plenty of hotels on the beach and the busy part of the beach is not that bad because there are no boats.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank lieumoon
Norwich
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We went to stay on Koh Chnag for two day on our recent trip to Thailand and this is the second time I have stayed at Whote Sands in Koh Chang and if you are looking for a cheap and cheerful beach bungalow, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank andygrant
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2012

The location of these huts is fantastic - at the very chill end of a busy beach, tranquility only a ten minute walk away from the crowds. The huts on the beach are marvellous. No frills, and the bedding is not the most comfortable, but after a day out in the sun and sea, sleeping is not a problem. This is beach hut living as you imagine it. Tried a few things at the restaraunt - some were excellent and of decent value. Breakfast, however, did not fall into either category.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family