“Beautifull place but watch out!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ko Chang
Orchid Resort Bailan
Ranked #58 of 73 Hotels in Ko Chang
Driebergen, The Netherlands
“Beautifull place but watch out!”
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We stayed here 2 weeks ago. Beaufifull hotel, food was exellent and fresh every day. The bungalow was nice although some things need to be taken care off. (our door did not closen properly)The swimmingpool and the jaccuzi were very nice. About the location, its very quiet but when you reád the information you should now that.
The only bad thing is that we were missing 200 Euro out of the safe deposit box. The owner says that he is the only one who knows the codes but when you know 1 code you can also now the rest of the bungalows because it's a very simple way of making them. He wasn't t doing anything about it. They fixed the toilet and in the evening we were missing the money. The owner said het did not now who fixed it?????????
The boy who runs the restaurant ect ( called himself James Bond) is excellent, he will help you with anything and will do anything for you.
We will recommend the place but watch out for your belongings

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank Inge66

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Eindhoven
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Regardless from some reviews, I had no problem with the owner and staff, contrary I had a very good time with them. The pool was refreshing and the whirlpool excellent...
I would surely go back to the place. Also close to great divingspot.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank MichielEindhoven
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Very disappointing, especially for the price.. On arrival in our room, the windows had been left open which allowed mosquitoes to fill our room. The windows also had large cracks, so maybe it didn't make a difference (we taped them up ourselves). We also had problems with ant infestation and our complaints were ignored by the staff. The restaurant was not good and way overpriced, especially the drinks. Internet was supposed to be free, but was not working the entire time. Nice pool, but far away from beach access. Much better options in Koh Chang and Bailan.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BuckeyeStu

Travellers are raving about these Ko Chang hotels

Auckland
Reviewed 3 December 2010

My life was in danger at this hotel.
If you don't want to have your passport confiscated, your cash and valuables accessible by the owners who choose the safe box code in your room, a day lost at the police station then stay away. Criminal cowardly behavour of a male hotel manager to bash a female guest. He is a bully. His wife was fully complicit with his actions.

I complained about large ants in my drink and luggage crawling throughout my room.
My immediate experience was to receive a blow to the back of the head by the dutch male manager of this hotel while his wife engaged my attention he came quietly from behind. He told me to "leave now" then tried to shove me out the front door minus my passport, cash and bags and advised his 2 staff and Thai wife to "get her on the floor" My watch strap was broken from the timepiece in the struggle and my watch fell to the floor. At one point it was four of them on top of me. I received a large bruise the size of his finger where he had me in a tight grip trying to shove and push me out onto the street.

In self protection I bit him to force him to release his head lock grip from around my neck. He had both my arms locked against my body. I demonstrated to the Thai police how I managed to get a bite mark on him in that position.
I had my passport confiscated by police while the dutch male contemplated charging me with assault for biting him in self defense, at a daylight time the following day that suited him. Therefore I lost a whole day of my precious holiday time. The police station was on the other side of the Island. 1155 is the tourist police number. Remember that number.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
6 Thank assaultedAuckland
Uberlingen, Germany
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Really not worth to go to. There are way better and way more friendly resorts around to go to. The staff is so unfriendly, they do not even talk to you when serving whatever you requested. Further the resort's manager totally ripped us off when we rented a scooter with him. FIrst of all it was way too expensive compared to local prices and once we had a flat tyre with this old piece of crap, he wanted us to compensate him for around 50 USD (locally we could have fixed it for around 5 USD as we later found out...)
So my general recommendation: Go look for other places to stay in Koh Chang (there are plenty)!!!!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank Der_Seb
Kampot, Cambodia
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Do yourselves a favour and go to cambodia and stay somewhere way better for a fraction of the price.ie, brand new White beach Hotel , sihanoukville...currently $17 US/ night..going up to 425 for the high season....your buck goes way further and the people are way more friendly !!!
The food was OK...the only good thing....the prices were typical over the top for rooms that were filthy, crawling with insects, and never cleaned on a daily basis...
The Dutch owner seems friendly but as soon as an issue arises he turns into a rude slob!!!!
Never hire a motorbike from him....we did and put a couple of scratches on it....really minor...ended up being forced to pay 10% of the new price of the bike...NEVER GOING NEVAER THE PLACE AGAIN.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gunfighterkid
Amsterdam
Reviewed 12 January 2010

I second the reviews of the other reviewers who had a horrible experience in this resort, the absolute low point of our holiday, DO NOT GO HERE. The Dutch owner is rude and aggressive. The 'swimming pool' is very small, and the deck around it is not suitable for small children because there is no railing. There is no direct access to the beach (you have to walk around back to the main street), and the beach is rocky and not very suitable for a little kid. In fact, the 'Sea View' bungalows are a long way off from the beach, you can hardly see the sea from your balcony with all the trees in between. Our bungalow was completely not up to standards. We had reserved the most expensive "Sea View Deluxe Villa" (more than 3000 baht a night in high season) for 6 days because we really wanted some luxury and because we were traveling with our 2 yr old daughter. Upon arrival, the Thai staff on duty was rather indifferent and not very welcoming. When entering the 'Villa', at first I thought there had been some mistake. It is very poky, with barely enough room to walk around the bed. Right away, we found that the lighting in half of the apartment was not working, not in the closet, not in the second 'room' (more like a closet, which was completely filled with a bed), many spots in the bathroom were out. We also chose the 'Villa' because it sported a 'Sea view Bathtube', which we had looked forwarded to using this with our little girl. However, the water in the bath was not working. When confronting the owner with these points, he responded rather indifferently. The water could not be fixed, he needed to install some kind of boiler but hadn't gotten around to it, the lighting could not be fixed because there were delivery problems (which might or might not be fixed during our stay). As for the beach he said he drove his guests to a better beach every day (at 11:00, which is about an hour before our kid needs to have our afternoon nappy). Commuting to a beach every day is hardly what you expect for a 3000 baht 'Sea View Deluxe Villa', I commute enough when I'm not on holiday. But the disappointments did not end there. That night it turned out the second bed in which our kid was to sleep was VERY stuffy and smelled of mold, the air conditioning made the sound of a helicopter, we found a huge cockroach crawling across the room, the doors to the balcony did not shut properly, the water in the shower did not drain off properly etc etc. That night we decided to leave. The following day we found a MUCH better accommodation at the Siam Beach Hotel. Right on a pristine beach, spotless very spacious room overlooking the sea, very silent airco etc etc, and all that at a lower pricepoint. When we packed up our stuff at the Orchid Bailan, the owner went berserk. Instead handling the situation professionally, he started threatening my girlfriend that his lawyer would sue us because we would not pay for the full 6 days (we had stayed 1 night and already paid 30% up front, which I had already said he could keep). He demanded more money and kept yelling at my girlfriend, even though she was with our little daughter who understandably got upset. In the end I did not want to make a big scene on our holiday so I ended up paying him another 3000 baht on top of the 30% we had already paid. If you are considering this place I strongly advice on looking elsewhere, there are much better places around, at better prices.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family