“Mediocre”

Ranked #14 of 73 Hotels in Ko Chang
Shanghai
“Mediocre”
Reviewed 13 March 2013 via mobile

If you are on a budget and want to detox and do your own colemas, then this is the place for you.

The hotel has no rating, but if it had they would be lucky to get 3 stars.

The rooms are old, in fact all the facilities look old and very used.
The rooms are dark, not comfortable and all the features in the room look dated...

The restaurant serves average food and I went there for the raw food and I was disappointed. It also feels they have not moved on with times and probably must been serving the same thing since they opened.

The pool is extremely small and there is very little or no privacy around it. The massage center is also dated and honestly I did a massage there once and was not that good...maybe unlucky with the masseur.

The detox is the scary bit that put be off. The person in charge to guide you is the guest relations manager...friendly person, but clearly not the right person for the job and the do it yourself everything is really a way for not spending money in proper equipment.

The service is average except in the restaurant which was above average.

The beach the hotel took us to, and they offer transportation there three times a week is simply horrendous. It is in an abondoned resort filled with garbage everywhere.

If you are with a family there is nothing for the kids to do...

I could go on and on with more details...but not really worthwhile.

I will not come back.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank mbamaral

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at this resort. This first was for a wellbeing course over a weekend which was superb. This time we decided to take the plunge and do the 9 day detox. The support we received from the staff throughout was exceptional. We were kept busy and did not feel hungry at all. Coming out of the fast, we were able to enjoy the delicious and healthy food at the restaurant. Rooms are basic but have everything you require.
Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Try and get a balcony or a room with outdoor seating as it is lovely to sit outside and enjoy the su...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SilvanaJ_13
spateam, Guest Relation at The Spa Resort Koh Chang, responded to this review, 17 March 2015
Dear our guest

thank you very much for such a great feedback. The Spa staff and me are glad to hear that we have offered you good service and you were able to enjoy your stay.

We hope to welcome you next time when you come to Koh Chang.

Have a good time and all the best,

KAO
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 26 February 2013

This is my 5th time in the Resort and, no doubt, I will return. If you want to be near the sea, don't go to the Spa. They organise a sea trip 2-3 times a week when they drop you on a desert island (actually unlike other desert island I visited it is indeed deserted). Otherwise you will have to stick to a small pool.

Do go if you would like to detox and eat wonderful raw food. The restaurant is superb and it keeps being excellent through the years. It is also not expensive, which is a trap many hotels are falling in when they see captive audience. Raw chocolate mousse, spagetti pesto, lasagne and energy cookies are divine. If someone told me that it is possible to exist on raw food, I, the famous meat eater, would have laughed in their face. But I am a convert and can't wait to devour those again.

There are several fasting programmes and I take the gentle 3.5 days. Every time I promise myself to make it a 7-day prog, but then I feel that I am missing so much good food! The programmes in the Spa help, as simple as that. They include monitored fast with some juices included, daily enemas and some supplements. You can do excellent yoga classes, have your steam bath, take a canoe trip on the lake, borrow free bikes or simply lounge around and read books. I have a gluten intolerance, which means that any wheat and flour products irritate my stomach. Here it rests and calms down. The energy level goes up, eyes shine and skin plumps up.

The Spa is in a beautiful garden tended by many gardeners, it has smaller rooms in the Oriental wing (perfectly adequate) but I love the Hill side rooms. Depending on the season they vary in price, but all are reasonable for what you get. There is a massage centre, with some good therapists. Not everybody is to my taste, but people seem to like different styles.

This is a strange place: everyone develops camaraderie and makes friends. This time again we met a couple with whom we keep on corresponding. And this is not the first time!

Two years ago I wrote a huge review here. I am still a fun.

Room Tip: Bring lots of books. Come alone, there are lots of single people around, especially in December-Janu...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank star205
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I spent 4 nights here as a single traveller in mid-Feb. My stay was wholly researched and organised through the Internet, and everything played out as I imagined through the information available without any personal recommendations.

Arrived in Trat Airport with Bangkok Airways, and meet and greet service alongside hotel transfer was up to expectation for THB600. The generic airport transfer shuttle bus service drives from the airport onto the ferry terminal, which provides for vehicles and walk-on passengers. We get off the shuttle bus and move on up to the upper deck for about 25 mins, before returning to the shuttle bus/van to be brought onto the island. The ferry service have an arrangement with the airport and the last ferry service will always reportedly wait for the last Bangkok Airways flight from Bangkok before departing. Upon hitting Koh Chang, I was picked up by a hotel specific car to head down the southeast of the island, whilst the generic airport shuttle bus service continues onto the west (busy and touristy) side of the island.

Arrival was warmly greeted with a fresh cooling towel and cup of tea. The hotel is akin to an international 4 star standard for me, although i am not sure if they are formally rated. Check-in was seamless, and the single villa was beautifully and comfortably laid out. It is air conditioned, with a balcony overlooking the swamp lake across to the chlorinated salt pool, gym and massage centre. The villa contained a well constructed bathroom, with a rainshower area, incorporating an in built grounded bath tub. It comes with local unbranded toiletries/amenities that did not appeal to me too much. If you are particular about your toiletries, I would suggest you might wanna bring your own. The room contains a DVD player. There is a decent selection of DVDs in the reception lounge area with a selection of books that you can borrow at no cost. 2 bottles of bottled water was supplied daily, with 2 sachets of herbal - lemongrass and ginger tea everyday. Although a small room fridge is available, there is no minibar stocks. With that in mind, if you are not fasting, then be aware that you won't be able to buy food/snacks once the restaurant closes.

I did not book into any program because this is my first visit to such an establishment, and it gave me the freedom to choose what I wish to do day to day. You can book massages as you go and yoga sessions cost THB100. You can also get more choices of food.

The hotel is located about 25 minutes away from the main commercial areas. Along the main road that leads on to the resort on this side of the island, there are a few resorts and local Thai eateries and minimal local shops.

The food in the resort restaurant is awesome, with lots of variety. It's not fine dining quality or necessarily hitting every single gastronomic buttons with every dish, but most dishes are at least average or above for vegetarian type food. There are meat and seafood options available too. I personally enjoyed the Komin curry the best.

I had only 1 massage throughout 4 night stay there. It's get booked up fairly early, so if you have specific time preferences, you might want to consider booking and planning your treatments early otherwise you are left to take what slots is remaining. Treatments before 1pm are discounted by about THB100.

They have an open air gym which contained fairly antique, yet functional equipment. I was surprised I did a decent workout there. The pool is nice for a dip, but far from being a lap pool, about 15 metres in length with a narrow waist of a kidney shaped pool.

The resort provides a free boat trip to what the receptionist called "White Island" every Mon, Wed, Fri at noon with the boat returning about 3pm. You get driven to the long tail boat that is serviced by a local Thai, with no English ability who will drop you off on the island. The resort provides a n
Beach mat, life jacket to go along, but not snorkelling equipment, not sure if we could have asked for it. When we got dropped off, without any prior knowledge of the island, I was surprised to have found a ghost resort on what may be a deserted island, giving a bit of an eerie feeling. But there was some evidence of life as I saw 1 local Thai men, with a couple of geese roaming about. Yet evidence of a once lively resort appears so with abandoned furnished rooms with doors flung opened, a satellite dish and machinery that have been left rusting for a long time. Without prior knowledge, I did not feel comfortable exploring further of the island. We spent the next couple of hours lazing by the beach, which was white sand but not exactly maintained to be spotless, and the visibility of the waters fairly poor with only some tiny uncoloured fishes and no reefs. A couple of sea urchins was visible. So upon my return, I found out that the "white island" is actually Koh Phrao Nok, and the ghost resort was once Live but now deserted following the development of west Koh Chang.

Overall, I found my stay very comfortable. Whilst there were no Mosquitos in my villa, they are certainly around and I did get bitten more than a few times, so I think it's best to be prepared. The staff members have variable English capacity, some of them more well versed than others, stick to simple phrases and language, and you will be able to communicate almost everything you want and need to know. This is not a 5 star luxury resort and I did not come hear for that. The hospitality, comfort and experience was everything I expected it to be and truly enjoyed my time and experience there.

Room Tip: The single hill villas was excellent and does not look dissimilar from the upper hill villas, the ma...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Kenny_Cool
Glostrup, Vestsjalland, Denmark
Reviewed 16 February 2013

we was on the spa resort koh chang for a good week for a Detox treatment.
The Detox was really great and we was taked good care of by the staff. There was a full program and nice trips to a deserded beach.

The dinner menu was suppose to be really good vegan food, but ofcause we could not have it.

Internet was good in the lobby. At the villas it was not as stabile as in the lobby.

If you are considering a detox treatment this a really nice place

Room Tip: Take the detox if you have a week and want to do something good for your self.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2013

I have to say travelling alone this was the perfect retreat to come to and enjoy a healthy break far from the tourist trail. I did the five night/six day detox and although a little hungry in the first 24 hours soon got used to it and now its over have not felt better in a long time.......my stomach was great during and after. Its just so healthy, the food is great, not that I had much apart from the last 24 hours but the juices and fruits where so tasty. I stayed in a hill top villa room which I loved, plenty big enough with a great mosquito net to sleep under (I did not get bitten once at this resort). Its so nice being in the middle of the tropical vegetation and there are laid on visits to a beach by the hotel. I would say there could be someone, just one, who could speak a little better english in the resort and perhaps a bit more of a smile from the restaurant staff would be nice. The ladies at the massage centre were so nice, not much conversation of course but always laughing and smiling, and to that end the massages were super, I would highly recommend the body scrub and oil massage. After this I went for my last days at The Chill on the other side of the island and wish I had stayed right at this Spa to be honest, there are no mass tourist stuff to spoil your peace and relaxation. By the way there were quite a few single travellers here as I think its the perfect spot to take time out from a busy life, just make sure you have some good books and a few films downloaded. Loved this place, I would seriously consider coming back.

Room Tip: I think any rooms are fine according to what you want to spend.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Llucmajor, Spain
Reviewed 8 February 2013

If you don´t need the beach closely, if you want to relax .. this is the place to go on Koh Chang. We extended our stay because of the wonderful organic restaurant. The Yoga Teacher is great, the Massages in the Spa are amazing. Will come back!

Room Tip: Oriental Rooms are very different - from very small to nice ... and overall the common areas are gre...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple