“Great Detox programme in a gorgeous setting with amazing staff :-)”

The Spa Resort Koh Chang
Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Ko Chang
London, United Kingdom
“Great Detox programme in a gorgeous setting with amazing staff :-)”
Reviewed 10 March 2010

My husband and I have just returned from Thailand, having stayed at the Spa Resort Koh Chang for the last part of our holiday.

We went on their 9 night/10 day 'Clean Me Out Programme' (which consisted of pre-cleanse of eating raw vegetables/fruit, then the 7 day fasting programme and finally post detox; where we were back on the raw veg/fruit.)

I was a bit apprehensive about the detox programme but hey I got through it and lost a few pounds - (i'm happy to share more info. about the programme if you want to contact me).

As the hotel is built in a jungle, there were ants in our room, which freaked me out, we informed the reception staff who assured us the cleaners would treat the room - it seemed to help, but the odd few would still manage to get in - but as i was reminded, we were in a jungle!!

We also felt the duvet and pillows were smelling of damp/mould, but again we informed reception and this was remedied immediately.

The staff were AMAZING, really really friendly and helpful. A special thanks to Ni and So in the reception and of course Lek, Ben and Toie who gave us great massages everyday as well as making our stay memorable!

We did yoga and meditation on a daily basis with a really nice guy called Cliff (who lives at the resort and can help with any questions to do with the fasting etc) - he was a brilliant source of knowledge to get us thorugh any problems we were having during the detox. He's leaving soon, which will be a great shame as he does such a fab job, but his new replacement; Andy who we also had the pleasure of meeting is also great.

As we were on the fasting programme, we didn't get to try the food on the main menus, so can't comment on that, but the raw veg salads etc were good and as ever really nice staff in the restaurant who looked after us on a daily basis; Tong, Kip and Fon.

The hotel has a good selection of dvd's which are available to the guests as there's nothing to do in the evenings, a lot of them are badly scratched so you don't get to see the whole movie, which is frustrating as you've watched half of it and then the other half is damaged! So as a tip, bring a few with you!!

There are daily trips to the different beaches in the area, my husband and I weren't fussed about going as we had been to Koh Phi Phi and Krabi prior to arriving in Koh Chang, so were beached out - we went on one trip towards the end of our detox week but weren't impressed as all the shops were selling things which you could buy cheaper in Bangkok, we never stepped foot on the beach as it was waaaay too hot!

I'd recommend the detox programme at the resort because it gives you a chance to think about your lifestyle/what you eat etc i've certainly learnt a lot about the junk i've been eating prior to the programme and know what I won't be eating having returned home! (let's hope I can stick to my new healthy eating plan!!)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PQOTD75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Thai first
Oslo
Reviewed 12 February 2010

In general the hotel is very beautiful in lovely tropical surroundings. It's quite remote and very peaceful. We stayed in a single hill cottage, and felt like we were the only guests at the resort at night-time. The room was not as big as we anticipated, but the standard was very good and the terrace was lovely. The flowers and plants on the resort are truly amazing, and the views are astonishing. The hotel is build a bit like an amusement park - it is very beautiful but feels a bit fake.

And that's perhaps were the root to our dissapointment lies. The resort oozes of a chain-like resort/spa with an extemely impersonal touch. This caused more annoyance than peace of mind.

Let's start with the restaurant: first of all - not one of the 50 greatest restaurants in the world! The food we ate tasted like it had been pre-made, and heated. We were always the only ones eating there, and the staff felt like they were bored out of their minds. We ate from both the vegetarian and the raw-food menu, but were not impressed. But very dissapointed since the food had gotten such great reviews. The thai food (we love thai food btw) had a really bad taste. Like burnt garlic or something. Which led us to ordering pasta and burritos that tasted okay, but not fantastic or even good.

It seemed to us like the room we stayed in had been uninhabited for a while upon arrival. The duvets smelled a bit moist and moldy, and in night-time large ants came visiting. All over the bathroom and even in the bed. Acccording to the reception they could bite! (?) The second night of our stay we borrowed some insect-spray from the reception (at our own request) and it got a lot better.

We rented the hotels car, and they were helpful at the reception with attractions on the island etc. We paid about 900 bht for a day. Since the hotel is very remote this service is very useful.

please note: This hotel is probably good for the detox and fasting (we did not participate in any program) and it seamed like most of the guests were there on this purpose. The spa was good, we took the thai massage etc. Ant the staff was very sweet, and the prices perhaps a bit stiff.
We stayed at the resort for 3 nights.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank leanjellybean
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 January 2010

It was totally out of character for me to choose to spend my short vacation in Thailand at a detox resort, rather than gorging on various vices and partying at the beach with other travellers. Maybe I am growing up. I researched a bit on the different detox places available, and narrowed my decision down between the Health Oasis resort on Koh Samui, and The Spa in Koh Chang. I chose the latter because it seemed to offer a better quality of accommodation and a prettier grounds.

I arrived via transport which I arranged prior, from the Trat airport (I learned in past trips to Koh Chang that I can not handle the long bus ride there). Arrived at the isolated, but beautiful location on the southeast side of the island. The Spa's setting is indeed gorgeous. It is set on a small inlet from the sea, lined with mangroves and surrounded by jungle. The more expensive huts line the lush hillside, while the standard (Oriental) rooms are set on the grounds behind the main building. The rooms (as with everything about the resort) were slightly overpriced, but definitely were comfortable. My room had all amenities (hot shower, a/c, room safe, cable tv & dvd player, refrigerator, coffemaker, hair dryer, and a lovely balcony facing the jungle). My only complaint with it was that I could hear every single movement of my neighbors in the block- the walls are paper thin. In the evening when everyone settles back in the rooms to watch movies, it becomes an uncomfortable cacaphony.

The main area of the Spa has a supposedly world-class vegetarian restaurant upstairs, though I was not particularly impressed by the menu. I did not eat there though, as I was on a fasting program, so I can't really say whether it lived up to the hype. It overlooks a lovely natural pool full of large fish, crabs, and mudskippers, as well as a swimming pool which was a bit small and cold for my tastes, however was a nice place to lounge around under umbrella chairs in the daytime. There is a small gym. There is a lovely herbal steam room (though it is expensive to use at 300 baht per time). There is a meditation and yoga center with classes in the mornings for those who are not too weakened by their prolonged fasts (mine were with a nice American man named Cliff, who also offers tarot card readings and Reiki). There is a massage center, with various massages available at inflated rates (I can recommend the Thai massage over the oil massage- I know from experience it is difficult to find a good massage outside of Bangkok and Chiang Mai, but the masseuses here were very good. I did arrive to one appointment to find a pretty Dutch girl as my masseuse though, which weirded me out a bit since I am used to the old Thai ladies). And then there is the Colema center, which manages all the fasting and Colon Hydrotherapy programs.

I signed up for the Weekend Cleanse. This was a 2 1/2 day fast, as an introduction to fasting and a quick overall clean out. There are packages to fit any situation. Upon arrival I was handed my fasting schedule, which was very meticulously planned. It consisted of my drinking 3 Detox drinks a day, which contained a mixture of Psyllium husks and Bentonite clay, a sludge which cleans out the intestines. I also had to force down two Liver Flush drinks a day- which were an appetizing combination of olive oil, raw garlic, orange juice, cayenne pepper, and cloves. I didn't get hungry at all, but I admit I wondered why I would spend some of my precious holiday time forcing this stuff down rather than enjoying the vast array of delicious Thai food I could have been eating. (In the end though, it was worth it.) Also on the menu were packs of capsules which I had to choke down 5 times a day- intestinal cleaners and herbal nutrients, apparently. Included in my program were a coconut juice, a fresh carrot juice, and a couple of vegetable broth soups (vile) which I could sip each day. And in the evening, another supplement, which replaces the beneficial bacteria wiped out by the colonics. And of course filtered water is available all day long. The staff is very insistent on keeping you to your set schedule and menu, and they won't allow you to eat anything that is not approved for your program, which sort of irked me until I realized I totally would have cheated without their discipline to help me!

Ah the colonics. I had read up on this practice before arriving, and most medical journals conclude that colon hydrotherapy is eccentric quackery. My thoughts were I might as well try it just in case it works. It certainly doesn't do any harm to clean out the pipes. The young Thai manager showed me a video on how to set up and use my own personal Colema board in my room (at which I had to stifle giggles every time the presenter said the words "anal sphincter"). Basically the colonic is achieved by hanging a bucket overhead full of a mixture of coffee and warm water. A hose leads from that down to you, who lies on the Colema board with your bottom hanging over the toilet. You stick your house up said "anal sphincter", and the liquid flushes out your colon for the next 20 minutes or so. It's quite a disgusting process, to be sure. There is even supplied a small basket to use as a filter between you and the toilet, if you are inclined to catch the solid elements of your feces for later examination, but I was not tempted myself. After my first colonic I felt very weak and woozy. I almost declined to do the other 2 sessions which remained on my package, but in the end I did those as well. I am not sure they achieved much at all, but other than the initial light headedness, nothing went awry. And if nothing else, I was super regular!

Overall I would recommend the programs at the Spa. The liver flushes, juice fasting, herbal steam room, yoga classes and massages at least all contributed to a serene feeling of health and well being by the time I left, and those who are proponents of colonics won't be disappointed on top of that. The staff was all very professional and helpful. I was also worried that they were going to nickel and dime me to death, but in the end my bill was actually $200 less than I had expected, which was a lovely surprise. It's a great place to go especially on your own, to get your head together at the same time as your physical health, and if you want to lose weight and detox in a paradisical setting, this is your spot. I wish I could have stayed for a longer program, in retrospect, but I would have made sure to rent a Jeep or motorbike from the main beach before arriving, so that I was not stuck at the resort all of the time and could take advantage of all that the gorgeous island of Koh Chang has to offer otherwise (the Spa does rent out bicycles and kayaks if you are so inclined). Next time I may try their location on Koh Samui, since it sits right on the beach, which was the only thing I really missed. Nevertheless, I had a great experience at the Spa Koh Chang, and I am sure I will return for another stint in the future.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
6 Thank Nicole F
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 16 January 2010

the most quiet resort in Koh Chang, placed fare away from all busy parts of the island. We booked this place for 3 nights and prolonged to 5 because it was just so relaxing and nice that we couldn’t leave. Most people there are for detox, fasting, yoga, massages and peaceful relax. Stuff is efficient. Restaurant provides very good vegetarian food, which was not good for me as I was there not for fasting but for relax. I cannot eat spicy meals and that was a bit problem, but we managed this. The must to try from a desert menu is Fried banana (this is unbelievable taste of honey, banana and coconut ice-cream). Thai massage cost 900 baht and is just perfect for everyday “sport” and relaxation. Pool is chlorine free, but with a small swim area. Rooms are not very new ones, but we were only sleeping there and did not needed a lot. Price/value is just the best one in the island. I will definitely recommend this resort for single visitors - you will not feel like an alien.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank djusha
London, UK
Reviewed 26 December 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed for 4 nights here. It's lovely - beautiful, peaceful lagoon, super chilled out massage, pool and yoga. The restaurant is AMAZING for vegetarians or vegans - they even have a good RAW food selection.

Most people at the spa are there for the great value detox treatment - several days with health juices, soups, and enemas! We decided to give that a miss but still loved the healthy food and spacious, immaculately maintained rooms.

The only downside (for us, not for everyone!) was that because there was no bar area, there wasn't really anything to do between 5-7pm, or after supper. So we mostly borrowed DVDs from reception (free service, huge selection) and drank beers from the local shop :-) It's not a great place for socialising, basically, but for most people visiting that's probably not a problem.

Also worth mentioning that the spa is the other end of the island to the main town (White Sands) and the ferry - so it takes 35 min / 25 min respectively to get to them.

Overall - awesome spa, amazing value, beautiful (remote) location, very quiet, chilled out atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nickseeber
London UK
Reviewed 23 December 2009

Me and my wife stayed here for 3 nights and wish we had stayed a week. Rooms were large with 4 poster beds and a large bath overlooking into the mountains. Food was such good quality and plenty of variety! We didnt do the FAST or the detox but we felt so relaxed and healthy on leaving. The swimming pool is nice and treated naturally. We meditated and did yoga in morning and swimming/kayaking/cycling/massage during the day. They even have free shuttles taking you to beaches a few times a week. There is also a little outdoor gym too beside the pool area. the spa is far from any tourist hotspots and is the ideal location. Thank you to all the staff, they offered such amazing service!! We cant wait to stay there again!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KMistry
Russia
Reviewed 15 November 2009

The hotel is located in the southeast Chang, coast Salak Kok. Situated among the jungle, cultivated exterior. Rested for two days. Hotel for relaxation and relaxation, in addition, he specializes in spa and massage, so that you can combine business with pleasure. Constantly singing birds, the rain does not deliver the inconvenience, as if it was a hotel on the beach (which, it should be noted next to the hotel there). With birds singing somewhere over the roof of the apartments, with gekkonchikami porch and reception. There is small fitness near the bath (bath 2 floors). An interesting observation - this hotel did not care - in terms of positive - sun or rain. When the rain was not bad, but just different. There were puddles, which I later saw on the concrete road to the White Sands, water once absorbed, and how pleasant it is spoken drops on the leaves of palm trees and other large-tree! Overall liked. At the reception there are two computers for the guests, Inet. Formally, the Inet, and there is room, but I have never been caught. On the second floor restaurant, as indoor and outdoor with views of the river with fish, garden and mountains. Everywhere bright saturated greens, palm trees, flowers. Minus (which is a plus for relaxation) - next to no cafes and shops, to the west coast, where the main beaches Chang - go half an hour. Road to the east of the island are steep, with streamers. Once a week (on Tuesdays), free shuttle to White Sands Beach, in 12 there, 15 back.
For me as for 2-3 days, longer boring.
The cheapest rooms - Oriental rooms - quite decent. Air-conditioning, fan, refrigerator, microwave, kettle, TV, DVD. Actually you can just walk for hours through the territory.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple