“Paradise”

Ranked #16 of 73 Hotels in Ko Chang
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Paradise”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My wife and I stayed for four night here at the beginning of February.We stayed in a deluxe double room with ocean view. The rooms are massive and to an excellent standard. The bathroom has a choice of shower with two heads or a bath big enough for two people. On the balcony you also have seating and a swinging seat. Eveything about this hotel from check in to the spa, fitness center and dining is first class. They even have hot tubs for use on the decking around the pool. My wife and I class this up there as one of the best hotels we've stayed in across the world, we even compared it to the Shangri la rasa ria in Kota Kinabalu where we went for our honeymoon. I highly recommend this hotel for couple and couples with very young children.

The only downside I found with this hotel was whilst trying to sleep on the sunbeds on the decking there was a family with three children aged around 10 - 15. These kids like most could not keep still and were running backwards and forwards and it didn't matter where you laid where it it be next to them or the other side or the pool they'd still have to run past you. Decking and children don't mix and as such it was like a heard of elephants going past.

Apart from that which the hotel couldn't control as even their own mother couldn't, everything was first class.

Oh and the Wifi is perfect even in areas round the pool

Room Tip: Highly recommend the deluxe with ocean view. Lovely rooms
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
MCKC_Management_Team, Manager at Mercure Koh Chang Hideaway Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you very much for your comments and it is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will stimulate to all of our staff as we aim to improve the quality of our service.

We do hope to welcome you back to stay with us very near in the future.

The Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Ko Chang, Thailand
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Very nice luxury hotel...for koh chang its expensive but luxury..we was had pool villa with private swimming pool and jacuzzi...it was amazing on Valentines day :)) What a wonderful hotel. The rooms are large, clean and very cimfortable. Ideal location for relax..

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Emanuelss
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Koh Chang Hideaway and very pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Your comment already share with our team and we will continuously improve the quality of our service.

It would be our great pleasure to welcome you to stay with us again very near in the future.

Köln
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

This Hotel is absolutely ok. It is lokated at a very beautiful bay with amazing views. The small beach is very nice. But for swimming we prefered the pool or went to the much more beautiful "lonley beach" wich is only a 5 minuts drive away. The service was extremly friendly and bothered. Whenever we complained something the crew was keen to solve the problem.
If you arrive with older guests make sure to get a room with a real bed. Some rooms have only a mattress lying on the floor. I have never seen something like this in the civilized world.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
We very much appreciate for your comment and positive feedback. I will share your comment with all of our team and will be continuously improve the quality of our service.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, it would be our great pleasure to welcome you to stay with us again.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed here with my grown up family for 8 nights in January 2014, We had spacious and clean sea view rooms with generous balcony's and large bathrooms. Felt like heaven, with a beautiful view over the pool to the ocean, and the added bonus of sunset views. Location was good, with other food options nearby and quick travel to Lonely Beach and other places of interest. We booked a couple of outings with the tour office attached to the hotel and all were great. A highlight for three of us was the great value Thai cooking class run beside the pool, and we all got share the superb results. We spent a lot of very contented hours beside the pool. Staff were helpful and always cheerful although sometimes there English skills were limited. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
MCKC_Management_Team, Manager at Mercure Koh Chang Hideaway Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you very much for your comment and very pleasure to receive positive feedback. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies regarding to staff English skill, now we all working hard on this regard and hope to improve for all of them.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, it would be our great pleasure to welcome you to stay with us again many more time in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We have been visiting Thailand for around 25 years and holiday there for 4 weeks every year. We have stayed on many of the islands including Koh Lanta, Lipi, Samui, Jum, etc, etc and have stayed in basic bungalows to 5 star and everything in between. This was our first trip to Koh Chang and we chose to stay firstly at a medium priced place and then moved on to the Mercure Hideaway and treated ourselves to the Pool Villa for six nights; these Pool Villas are the most expensive villas available at this resort, and we were really looking forward to our luxury stay.

The villas are quite large and have a private plunge pool and terrace. The so called PRIVATE pool, is not so private as the patrons from the hotel next door can look down into the pool terrace area. The resort has constructed a structure over the spa to stop prying eyes.

As in most of Thailand, the King size bed and pillows are very firm. The room facilities were of a good standard and the free wi-fi is very quick; able to view Youtube easily. We did have a major ant problem in the bathroom. After taking a few photos of the ants, the front desk arranged for house keeping to spray and spray the effected areas. It took about three days to stop the ants.

Other than at breakfast time, the restaurant is almost a waste of space. We paid for the buffet breakfast every day, most other patrons had breakfast packages and the restaurant was full in the mornings. There is a good selection of food which is constantly refilled; there is an egg station, juice bar for you to create your own, a pizza servery, plus the usual soup, hot and cold dishes. Once breakfast has been served the restaurant becomes deserted until the next breakfast. We had our first night meal there with only two other guests plus one senior staff member. We also had lunch there on two occasions, each time by ourselves. The meals are average at best and extremely overpriced, just as previous reviews have mentioned. However, this resort has taken no scrap of notice. If only management would lower their prices in line with other restaurants and resorts, this could be a productive area.

Whilst we fully recognize that it must be very difficult to employ and train staff on a remote island, we also know that other parts of Thailand are also faced with this problem and they seem to manage quite well. The housekeeping was done quite late each day which meant that we couldn’t use our pool as it was full of leaves and the water level needed to be topped up daily as the water was evaporating (or leaking?) very quickly. One day our room wasn’t cleaned until 15:30! After this dismal effort we requested a 9:30am house cleaning service the next day, house keeping turned up at 8:20am. This was OK, we were going to breakfast anyway.

We paid our total bill at reception the day before we were due to leave to enable a quick checkout. Our account was paid out, and the printout showed a NIL balance which also agreed to our records. That evening we were notified that we had to pay half our bill twice. Fed up with the service being given I went to reception to speak to the manager who signed this request to pay, only to find all managers have signed off for the day. This only infuriated me even further, and after about an hour or so, the manager on duty eventually arrived to inform me that I had in fact paid the bill in full and that he was sorry for the error made by the resort. This being our holiday and having paid a large amount of money for this part of our trip, we don’t feel that we were looked after at all.

Over all, this resort needs a shake-up and needs to revise the pricing in the restaurant and get their service in order.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a private pool villa, look else were. Over priced poor service.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Australian2Travel

Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for every your experience did not meet your expectations. I will share your comment to all of my staff and all of us will working hard on this to improve the quality all of our service.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I usually don't right reviews, but this hotel makes me do it. While the location looks quite nice and the first overall impression about hotel design, service and rooms are good to very good, the reality sets in pretty fast. And believe me, I am not a picky person always looking for the bad.

The hotel seems rather new, but the rooms, especially the bathing room have already seen it's better days. We had a huge dirty clay stain in the bathtub that is not going away so the shower is the only option, because I'm not sitting on it with my rear, believe me.

The service experience is very bad:
- The hotel seems understaffed, both our rooms are ofter not getting cleaned before 17.00. This is just unacceptable for people used to some midday sleep during their vacation.
- Putting the "do not disturb"-sign means that you will actually get called and disturbed by the hotel manager with the question "do you really don't want to be disturbed?" every single time. This is idiotic beyond reasonable. The only way for me to have some midday sleep was to go personally to the hotel manager at 09.00 in the morning EVERY TIME and to ask them for the immediate room cleaning so I can sleep in my room undisturbed when I come back around 15.00.
- The swimming pools and whirlpools close at 18.00. They have some nice night ambient lightning, and are only 1.20 deep, what's the reason behind that? I'm not asking for a midnight swim that would disturb the guests, but I can't enjoy an evening swim or a nice whirlpool in the evening sun? Really?

If you want to enjoy your night sleep while booking ocean view rooms, just forget it. There is a hotel karaoke bar right next to the rooms, open till 01.00 pm. Of course you have the option to close the balcony doors and turn on the air conditioning just to find out that even on the low level it has a noise level of a starting airplane. I have never experienced such loud air conditioning in my entire life. Or you can wait till everybody is finally asleep, turn off the air conditioning, open up windows and doors for some fresh air just to get the hurricane like wind noise because of a hotel location being in an extremely windy place and enjoy nightmares of being sucked up in a tornado.

Internet/WiFi: Every room gets a long ID and Password combination that have to be typed in every couple of hours, particularry idiotic on the Iphone. While very annoying it's pretty common in other hotels too so I'll not complain a lot about it.
But I will complain about the WiFi itself: while the hotel-wifi coverage is at full scale pretty much everywhere on the hotel territory, for some random reasons you don't get the login screen half of the time. It is completely arbitary - sometimes you get it in your room, the beach or restaurant, sometimes not. The only place it always works is near the service desk at the lobby.

The restaurant: The breakfast is okay but competely overpriced for 500 baht per person including service charge and taxes. The breakfast is also the only time the restaurant seems to be used. While it's huge you will never see more then 2-3 tables used during daytime and it's completely empty in the evening. The food is okay, but the general atmosphere is just completely uninspired and univiting.

My general resume: while some problems like wind and air conditioning cannot be fixed at all or probably only at high expenses, pretty slight tweeks could pretty much flip the general impression from bad to good in no time: hire some more room cleaners, explain the managers what "do not disturb" sign means, make slight repairs in the rooms and bathing rooms, fix the freaking internet, for gods sake, and let the people swim till 22.00, if you have a karaoke bar open till 01.00 pm literally 10 meters next to it. And change the lights in the restaurant so people do not feel like sitting in an office canteen.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank MityaK81
MCKC_Management_Team, Manager at Mercure Koh Chang Hideaway Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you very much for your comment regarding your stay at Mercure Koh Chang Hideaway.

For your feedback referring to service and room we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Also we apologize for the bad experience that you found during your stay with us and I already share this feedback to our management team to improve the quality of this regard.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

No doubt this is a nice hotel, NICE private beach and pretty surroundings. Me and my partner were travelling for 3 weeks round Thailand and were in Koh Chang for 10 days, this was the most expensive and luxurious place we stayed and it was our worst experience. We stayed in beach huts no more than £20 a night that we had a more enjoyable time. There was a Christmas Eve party at the hotel which you had to pay an additional £40 per person to join and watch the entertainment AFTER paying £100 a night for a room! Surley when your at a hotel your already paying for you should be able to sit and watch the entertainment for free? To top it off the hotel completely closed down the bar and room service. So the people that could no afford or did not wish to go to the party did not have access to any part of the hotel because of this party. Our bath leaked that night and even reception was closed down to get someone to come and fix it, although on there behalf when i managed to ring around and find someone they came out straight away and fixed the problem. This made our stay most annoying. The staff we not the friendliest of people and your not made to feel as welcome as you should have. It was also Extremely expensive BUT it is a pretty hotel and no doubt abit of luxury if you have the money. But i would recommend looking at other hotels on this Island before this one, as we were disspointed

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tay T
MCKC_Management_Team, Manager at Mercure Koh Chang Hideaway Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Koh Chang Hideaway. This feedback already share with all of our staff and we sure that will help our team to continuously improve the quality of our service.

Thank you again for this and it would be our great pleasure to have a change to welcome you to stay with us again.