“Best place to stay in Granada.”
Review of Hotel Terrasol

Hotel Terrasol
Ranked #16 of 43 Hotels in Granada
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sherwood Park, Alberta
“Best place to stay in Granada.”
Reviewed 20 March 2010

In addition to the meticulously clean rooms and delicious restaurant, what makes this hotel stand out from the rest in its class are the owners and thier desire to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as they can. Rooms are simple, with very comfortable beds, an armoir for hanging clothes and a lock box for valubles, private bathroom with cold water shower. Decorations are tastefull pictures and paintings from local artists. The location is 3 blocks from the central park, which is just enough to escape the noise from bars and bustle, yet close enough that a 10 minute walk gets you to the center of activity.

Katya will make any arrangements required for tours, drivers, taxis, or any other help that you need (sourcing lost luggage!!!). Meanwhile, Viktor's creations in the kitchen are second to none in Nicaragua. Budget more than one dinner at the restaurant onsite, as Viktor's training and enthusiasm for using fresh, local ingredients are obvious once you have dined.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I arrived in Nicaragua on an international flight in February 2010. I had previously arranged with the hotel to arrange to have a driver meet me at Managua International Airport to take me directly to the hotel. The service is well worth it when you arrive at 10 p.m. I did have a little trouble finding the driver, only because I exited out the wrong door. Make sure to go straight, not left, when you're done with customs.

The driver took me the 45 minutes to Granada and the hotel. A night security guard greeted me cheerfully and took me directly to my A/C room with a small balcony overlooking the street. He was very friendly and helpful, making sure to get my A/C working before he left.

The room I had was on the second level, with A/C and a balcony. From the door, there was a small hallway, with a bathroom to the right and the bedroom area at the end. The room was clean, no complaints about that. The small bathroom had a shower (no tub, not that that matters to me, but), toilet and sink. It worked perfectly for me as it was clean and no issues with water pressure.

The bed was supposed to be a queen. I couldn't really tell if it was a queen or full, maybe I could have if my husband was with me. It was comfortable, firm, with two pillows. A third pillow was in the cabinet by the foot of the bed. There was also a small TV with channels in both Spanish and English. (The English channels are from south Florida, and I was delighted to be able to watch the opening ceremonies for the Winter Olympics.) There is a small nightside with a bedside lamp on one side of the bed. And there were three small, lockable cabinets - one of which contained the safe/strong box.
I loved the spanish colonial feeling of my room. I had a vaulted ceiling with a roof made of wooden branches/sticks. There were heavy wooden shutters for the window and balcony door. It just felt very cozy. I will recommend that you bring ear plus, especially if you want a room with a balcony. The street noise can get a little loud and there is currently a construction project across the street. (I got up early every day so it wasn't a problem but I did notice others mentioning it.)

The room includes breakfast down in the small restaurant. The service includes a croissant, coffee or tea, fruit and juice. It does not sound like much, but it was a perfect start to the day. The restaurant at night is supposed to be phenomenal, but unfortunately, I did not get a chance to eat here. Be aware that the hours of dinner are not that long. Be sure to get here in time to enjoy it. You can also access the free wireless internet in the restaurant area and there is one computer for guest use (free).

However, the main reason that you want to stay here is because of the owners. They are absolutely wonderful and extraordinarily helpful. They arranged two tours and the airport pick-up for me, sight unseen. I was warmly welcomed every time by all the staff. It really is a gem of a place and makes you feel like a guest in their home.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
ny
Reviewed 23 February 2010

I was told this is what many Granada hotels used to be! Lovely owners that really love hospitality, simple clean rooms, great food and inexpensive at $35/nite. The wife, Katya, who will always call you by your name is sweet and very helpful in arranging excursions. She also tries to help out local artists and sells signed paintings, ceramics and the like in the lobby. Don't take this for granted! Signed ceramics? What a find! I went into a gallery near Kathy's Waffle House and met one of Katya features and yes he is a real person, local and had wonderful things to say about his friend Katya. Victor, the husband, is a chef and WOW! you will love his creative flavorful dishes! It's a bit off the beat and track but in a good neighborhood. If it's late and you want to go out, one of the staff will be sure to get you a cab as it passes. The rooms have everything they need: a/c, private bath, safe, small armoir for your clothes, comfortable bed. If you choose a balcony room with the view of Mombacho remember that everyone beeps way more in Granada then in NY!! I have already recommended this to friends and they were thankful for the experience!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 12 February 2010

My boyfriend and his parents stayed at Hotel Terrasol for 2 nights last week and it was an incredible stay, definitely the BEST value fro your money in Granada. The owners are lovely people who are willing to offer any help and information. One of their staff even offered to go around town with my partner to help him get the best deal on a couple new tires for our truck, saving us a lot of money. It is obvious they take great pride in their hotel and have filled it will beautiful local art and personal touches.
The rooms are tastefully decorated and spacious with queen sized beds, fans or A/C, tv's and beautiful, clean bathrooms.
The included breakfast is a simple coffee, juice, fruit and hard bun with butter and homemade jam. Definitely a decent offer for early morning, but left us stopping for a second breakfast soon after!
The only reason I've given a 4 instead of 5 on sleep quality is that the 2 rooms we had between the 4 of us were on the top floor and were very warm. Next time we will opt to spend slightly more and have the air conditioning!
All in all, amazing spot. You would be hard pressed to find another hotel that's a better value, in a better location, with better hospitality. Will definitely be back on my next trip to Granada!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 8 February 2010

My wife and I had stayed at the Hotel Terrasol two years before shortly after it opened, and returned with friends after working to help build houses at Project Chacocente. It seemed like a luxury vacation, with Victor and Katya welcoming us with open arms and remembering who was a vegetarian and what room we liked, among other things. The food was so special after a steady diet of chicken, rice and beans for a week, and they arranged a great tour of Las Isletas. The Hotel Terrasol is like staying with family.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
Hawaiian Gardens, California
Reviewed 4 February 2010

I would recommend this to anyone who was travelling to Granada Nicaragua.

Victor and Katya are warm wonderful people who go out of their way to make everything special. They arranged many day trips and the drivers and firms were reputable and high quality. I always trusted their recommendations. The friend I was travelling with and myself had dietary restrictions which were accommodated at breakfast.

The staff were helpful and friendly and did all special requests with a smile.

I had my grandchildren visiting with me and they treated them like Aunts and Uncles.

I cannot recommend them more highly.

Thanks to you both.
Aside- Do not know how to change MY Location. I am from the Toronto area in Canada.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 February 2010

Because of the rave reviews on TripAdvisor we booked all 6 nights of our stay in Nicaragua at the Terrasol Hotel and we could not be happier! This truly is a home away
from home- clean, safe, warmly decorated, centrally located with comfortable air-conditioned bedrooms with private balconies that have great views of Mombacho
Volcano.

Most important for us, however, are the fantastic owners of this hotel, Victor and Katya.
They are among the best hosts that we have encountered in all our worldwide travels! Their friendliness and true desire to assist their guests permeates the entire atmosphere
of the hotel, resulting in a friendly and efficient staff and happy guests.

In addition to being great hosts, Victor and Katya perform minor miracles in the hotel restaurant kitchen, turning out such great meals that we ate here at least 50% of the
time, something we hardly ever do.

Katya arranged a Canopy tour with Tierra Tours for us that involved Ziplining 1500
meters down the slope of Mombacho Volcano (great fun). She later arranged a trip
with a private car and driver to San Juan del Sur for the day which gave us a much
greater appreciation of the diversity and lushness of Nicaragua.

To sum it up, the Terrasol is a great hotel at a very reasonable price, Granada is a
very historical city with interesting attractions and surroundings, and Victor and Katya
are fantastic hosts.