“My home in Nicaragua”

Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Granada
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“My home in Nicaragua”
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Staying at Hotel Con Corazon just completed an already amazing experience in Granada. It feels more like a home than a hotel. The rooms are maybe on the smaller side, but there is still plenty of space. It felt like a bedroom…even in its decor. There is a lockbox. There is a nice-size and immaculate bathroom. I appreciated that they had a good quality shampoo and shower gel there for us. I didn’t use the A/C all the time but it was nice to have it at night. It is hot in Granada.

The mission of Hotel Con Corazon really permeates the place. All the employees are exceptional people, taking a deep interest in their guests’ happiness. For example, the A/C was leaking in my room. They immediately changed out the bed that had gotten wet. They were really distressed that the workmen scheduled to come at noon actually came at 8 p.m. They were ready to move me but I told them I’d take advantage of their comfy hammocks to read a book and nap, then go out for lunch, then come back for some great drinks at the hotel bar. There is a lovely patio, a nice little pool to cool off in, and a upstairs balcony with more seating. I didn’t carry a computer so didn’t use the WI-FI but there are two computers available for guest use. There are cups and filtered water available around the entire hotel.

I speak fluent Spanish so I really got to know many of the staff members and their stories. Most are studying English and tourism/hotel management. They are optimistic about Granada and themselves. They are also fun and kind. One night as I drank my macua (try this local drink), several staff members gave me “Nicaraguan” lessons, teaching me phrases and words unique to Nicaragua. We were in stitches. Even if you only know a little Spanish, they will enjoy practicing with you. You will notice that the employees seem to come in a little early and stay a little late after their shifts. It is clear they enjoy their job, their guests and their co-workers.

The food is outstanding at the hotel. All food is bought fresh daily. I recommend eating dinner there at least one night. It is excellent. The breakfasts are really filling. I was teasing the staff that there was no gallo pinto (a traditional rice and bean dish) with the eggs. It is Nicaragua after all! The next morning, it was on my plate. Do not be afraid to ask if you want or need something (that is reasonable).

Hotel Con Corazon is on a quiet corner just two blocks from the main plaza and cathedral. From there you can walk to La Calzada, the street has many restaurants with tables out on the street. It is closed to car traffic. I asked for restaurant recommendations in the hotel and they never failed me. I mostly avoided La Calzada since it’s purely foreigners. I kind of headed in other directions.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. While most guests are from Europe and the US, we all were attracted by Hotel Con Corazon’s mission. When I left the States I didn’t know I’d be coming to Granada. I plan on returning to Granada next year and intend on bringing school supplies, books (in Spanish or bilingual English/Spanish). Pencils, stickers, erasers, anything. The foundation works with many schools and libraries in the area. If you are able to find room in your suitcase, fill it with school supplies and books. Leave them with the Hotel staff. Then go to the market in Masaya and treat yourself!

The staff will also help you find guides. Nicaragua isn’t easy to get around without either a vehicle or a guide. I found guides’ prices very affordable and worth it. Their vast knowledge of the region made the sights I saw even more fun.

Take some time to speak to one of the staff who works with the foundation. They can tell you how you can continue to support the work that they do.

Lastly, I want to specifically thank a few staff members who went out of their way for me: Noemy, Maritza, Angelo, Leo, Chepe, Anelka, Denis and many others. You, as a visitor, really are contributing to Nicaragua just by staying here.

A phrase I learned while in Nicaragua kind of sums up my visit: Hay mas tiempo que vida (there is more time than life). In other words…don’t rush things. Enjoy Granada and Hotel Con Corazon.

Room Tip: They all look comfortable!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank dianitah525

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 July 2011

This hotel is located in a nice quiet area of Granada as opposed to the busy Parque Central.
It is lovely, clean and so welcoming. I spent 4 nights there and decided to come back and spend my last night there before my flight back. It was like coming back home. They have two computers available for guest which was great as i did not bring one with me.The staff is terrific and so helpful. They helped with transportation, tours, restaurants, etc. Naomi and Iyonne (as well a great Spanish teacher) were the best! I miss it already The fact that all profit goes to education in Nicaragua makes it the only choice for me.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
San Francisco
Reviewed 10 July 2011

What a lovely and charming hotel! We were so thrilled with our stay. The premises are beautiful and meticulously well-maintained. The rooms are immaculate, the a/c strong, and the showers warm.

What really stood out to me was the bar and the food. We spent one night at the hotel and spent the evening drinking at the lovely bar with our friends. The bartender was absolutely meticulous and made delicious cocktails. You could really see the way he took pride in his work. I'm from San Francisco where mixology is considered an art form, and I was thoroughly impressed by his attention to detail.

The breakfast in the morning was an absolutely delicious, multi-course meal. The service was top notch. Hands down the best "free" breakfast I have ever had in all of my travels.

I would recommend this hotel without hesitation!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Great service, very comfortable rooms, family friendly, terrific staff, good breakfast, nice pool! The website doesn't do the hotel justice. The staff are super helpful, speak good English, and can help you set up any kind of tour you want, or direct you to any place you need to go. We loved every minute of our stay here and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We had the family suite - terrific for traveling with our kids ages 6 and 9
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
San Francisco
Reviewed 23 June 2011

A fantastic small hotel that exceeded our expectations (even after reading all the glowing reviews on TA). A lovely layout of public space (plus a swing and giant chess board that our son loved), the breakfast was incredible (and included), the rooms have great styling, were spanking clean and very comfortable (and if you have not had AC and TV in a while you will love that too). But it is the staff that really makes this place—sister’s Ivonne and Nohemy who work at the front desk and the house tour guide Frank were awesome and our 6 year old son loved them. (the rest of the staff was great too) Our family highly recommends this hotel. (And of course the foundation where all the profits go makes it a no brainer when staying in Granada)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Hotel Con Corazon is no hotel as any other. Its profits go to education and local crafts, providing a basis for long-term aid and development. Aside of that, it's also a wonderful hotel with excellent service and value for money. Its rooms are spotless, an extensive breakfast will get your day started, and the pool may not be too big but provides a more than welcome moment after a hot day, as well as its relaxing hammocks. All in all, we had a very nice stay here. Thanks for the great service!

• Stayed June 2011
Martinsburg, WV
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I stayed 2 nights at Hotel con Corazon, and it was absolutely perfect. The reception staff is super friendly and available to help with anything. I received very personal service during my stay, and it really felt like home. The hotel is a few blocks from the Central Park, so it's a little more quiet than some of the central hotels. It's an easy 5 minute walk to get to the center. The pool is fantastic for cooling off after a hot day sightseeing in Granada. The food is excellent! I enjoyed a gigantic dinner here on my first night. The cook uses local and fresh ingredients to prepare Nicaraguan favorites. Breakfast is also bountiful. Every day, I enjoyed fresh fruit, granola with yogurt, fresh bread and a choice of eggs. The rooms are simple and clean. There is a fan above the bed, and air conditioning. I didn't use the AC, and I stayed fairly comfortable throughout the night. There is also a wide variety of TV channels, but once again, I didn't use much. I took advantage of the free wifi that's located in the public area of the hotel. I highly recommend Hotel con Corazon. Great service and great mission!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo