“Well worth it!”

Sailing School & Kayaking Velago Granada
More attraction details
Owner description: S A I L I N G T O U R S *** S A I L I N G C L A S S E S *** K A Y A K I N G T O U R S S A I L I N G T O U R S: - 2 hours- half day- full day- moonlight tours- ...you name it! S A I L I N G C L A S S E S:-complete course-half day basic courseK A Y A K I N G T O U R S: -San Juan River Kayaking-Islands of Granada
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Ferdinand is very knowledgeable and fun to learn from. I sailed with him on Laguna de Apoyo for my first sailing experience. He taught me a lot, was patient, and friendly. The lake and the crater were even more beautiful from on the water. Get a friend and take a lesson or just go sailing!

1  Thank CharlieSipes

Reviewed 20 January 2010

While visiting Granada we decided to take sailing lessons since this is something we wanted to learn. We went out for three hours and the lesson was great. He was patient with us and we worked on moves over and over until we understood it.

3  Thank Squirreletta1
Reviewed 24 April 2009

I spent a few days in Granada and had wanted to Kayak the Isletas. Thankfully the staff at my hotel (Hotel Con Corazan, highly recommended as well!) recommended Velago. Fernando was professional and very knowledgeable and I have nothing but praise for his operation.

I had gone down there with the intention of renting a Kayak on my own for 3 hours, but then decided to have him come along to help make the most of my time. Fernando was very knowledgeable about everything in the area ranging from the plants and animals to the human inhabitants of the area. If you want to see as many sites as possible in a short time, I highly recommend bringing him along. Otherwise if you just want to paddle around in solitude, his rates are very economical.

He is still in the process of building his business, so keep that in mind when you are seeking his services. Living in Canada, I am used to 'corporate' operations so its refreshing to see a business being built with heart. When I first saw his multi-colored 'pier' built from old boats, I kind of wondered what I was getting myself into/ However, it only took a few moments of talking to him to cast my initial doubts aside. Fernando's passion for the business as well as his love for the area will make Velago a great addition to Granada

If you are staying in downtown Granada, you don't need to take a cab to get to Velago. Rent a bike from your hotel or walk down Calzada street to the water and use one of his free bikes at the kiosk to ride to his operation (check with him first about the kiosk as it wasn't there on the day I went).

If you do nothing else while in Granada, rent a Kayak or hire the services of Fernando for a kayak/sail of the Isletas and area!

4  Thank BC_Daryl
Reviewed 5 April 2009

At the time of writing, the only sailing school in Central America - check it out. On a very short trip to Nicaragua, this was well worth both the money and the time. An independently-run operation with friendly, patient, expert staff. The mango mission for lunch afterwards was also a bonus : ) Thanks guys, see you next time. Crystal

1  Thank redhookcrystal
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 December 2008

Living in Nicaragua is automatically off the track just a hair anyway, and you have to be a tad creative to keep life interesting. So, we are lucky that Fernando set up his business here. I have taken the basic sailing course, and the two day trip to Zapatera and recommend the whole show wholeheartedly. I'm half-local and plan to go back to sail more and try the kayaking around the islands that I am sure is easy and pleasureable to do. Part of the pleasure is that the whole idea is so unused that it is a little more special. The opposite of doing something in the states where you would be surrounded by a ton of other boats etc. So expect things a little rough around the edges as development is limited here and you will be fine.

2  Thank Mediopinolero