“If you want a disease it is your place”

Hospedaje La Libertad
“If you want a disease it is your place”
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We arrived like at 2 pm and we left at 2.30 pm. We were supposed to stay for 17 days. The wc was full of blood (female), a beer on the floor, the bed was awfull... WORST PLACE EVER. Do not come!!!! I asked them to clean up room bcos it was blood and they told me that the room was already clean and that was not blood (im a doctor)

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alberto L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Cant believe La libertad has so bad ratings,
if your a backpacker, this is great.

Good value (5d spacious dorm, 10d private), nice hangout area with hammocks and vegetation,
a small bar were you can get some drinks, but not noisy. Bathrooms are ok, coldwater showers.
There is a kitchen and places plenty of places to sit around. 3 working computers are available for free use. Some mosquitos. Exactly what you need if your on a budget, but definetly not for tourists.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eirik R
Kobe, Japan
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Stayed here for a night. It looked OK at a glance, but it was not. Although I chose one of private rooms, they said the room was not ready yet, so I went out to eat. After 1 hour when I came back it wasn't ready yet. Another hour waiting was incolved, I complained to the reception then finally cleaning staff came and made the bed.

The kicthen was disgustingly filthiy, used pans and plates were piled as if they were never washed. Better not to mention to bathrooms. Also, I had a massive bedbag atack here, the scars are still on my legs and arms.
There's a free salsa lesson or some sort in the patio in the night, if you are not interested, just very noisy.

Furthermore, possibly I was stolen big amount of money here. I'm very careful with my stuff, usually I take my valuables with me even when I go to the bathroom, and only moment I was not with my bag of valuables was when the staff was making my room ready. The door was half open and I was in the balcony, very close to them, but they could steal it if they were dare.

I found the fact that my money's gone next day, in the other hostel (The Bearded Monkey, another awful one) so it might have happened in the other place. But please wacth out your stuff. Or, simply do not stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank aurora090

Travellers are raving about these Granada hotels

Punta Uva, Costa Rica
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I need to be clear that this is a budget hostel so that our grandparents don’t show up with their luggage sets thinking these rooms are perfect for them.

I didn’t stay in the $5 dorms, I stayed in the $10 private room with private bathroom around the corner and half a block away - no bed bugs there, no evidence I saw of mice.

These rooms are in an old colonial house with amazing hammocks, a nice central courtyard with paintings for sale adorning the walls and a scantily stocked but useable shared kitchen, with two little fountains and marble floors.

The rooms are a bit shocking at first sight, but are just un-renovated, not dirty. But for $10, when the popular hostels in town have the audacity to charge up to $35 for a private room with baño, these rooms are a smoking deal!

Just spend most of your time in the common areas with the friendly staff, onsite 24 hours per day to keep your things secure.

The mattresses were really great (looked new) and the fans were strong: great for Granada’s stifling heat. Great water pressure.

You can get access to water and other beverages around the corner at the hostel and it is in a great location not far from the central market, halfway between the major grocery stores and two blocks from the Central Park, yet quiet at night.

I stayed three nights and other than the ugliness of the rooms, I had a very positive experience.

Room Tip: Lower rooms are cooler.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SocklessJ
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed in a private room for first time, which was fine. But when we came back and stayed in the dorm, we had bed bugs. The guy of the hostal wasn´t interested and just gave us another bed in the girls dorm. Then we heard that they had problems with bed bugs before. So the next day we left with a lot of bites...

Room Tip: the private rooms at the other house.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Melbourne
Reviewed 14 May 2013 via mobile

I feel the title sums it up, we had an awful time there and would not go back if you paid me. The rooms are filthy and the bedbugs are so big that I first mistook them for baby cockroaches. This problem has been going on for years and the managers have done nothing when if Nicaragua was a Western country, the health department would have closed them down.
On seeing my body covered in welts and personally seeing the hoards of bugs himself, a staff member still tried to make us pay for a night and our laundry (we eventually insisted we wouldn't pay a cent) and conceded to buy us a roll of black bin liners and a can of spray which was for killing scorpions and was about as useful as a chocolate teapot. He was incredibly rude, lacked empathy and the owners should be prosecuted for negligence.
The main issue is that because only 10% of people who are bitten by bed bugs react to the bites, people carry the bugs from place to place unawares.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank HelenGina1981
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 May 2013

The rooms are decent for how much you pay, but the real charm is talking to Jimmy the Man. He's a well educated Nicaraguan local guy whose English is great. He's starting up his own tour company, so don't hesitate to grab some beers with him!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo