“Exactly what I'd hoped for!”
Review of Hostal San Angel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
Hostal San Angel
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We picked Hostel San Angel from the internet, solely based on its location and price, and were thrilled with our good luck. It's just a few paces from Granada's central cathedral and park, on a quiet side street. (In the tripadvisor picture, that's the central cathedral above the roofline to the left.) Quite cheap, very comfortable, clean, quiet and safe. We had a two bed, private bath room (ac unit, hot water, fan, breakfast included) for three nights. The hosts couldn't have been more gracious or helpful, even though it was close to the holidays and they had family visiting (5 generations at their table!) as well as the paid guests. We were the only new folks in the hostel rooms; everyone else was a returnee, one for the 10th time.
If you prefer more anonymous chain hotel living (and there's nothing wrong with that) or backpacker-hammock-sleep-in-your-clothes hostels, (nothing wrong with that either) this is not for you. It's a home with a section of 6-7 guestrooms; the host family and their friends may be reading, watching tv or visiting with friends at one of the two huge dining tables at any time...it's *home*, with a lobby for a living room. The hosts are extremely well educated and interesting people who have lived through some amazing times; talk with them, you'll be fascinated. They can also advise on local things to see and do (oldest house, best seafood, etc...) and have a wealth of information on almost everything. Travelers who'll enjoy this hostel most are those comfortable in a casual homey environment where you have use of the fridge. It's not really a youth-oriented place although I'm sure college kids would be made welcome; the days I was there the hostel guests averaged 55-60 years old, maybe more; some were Spanish students, some artists, some just travellers. There are a couple of interior patio areas where some guests sit to chat, use the internet, drink coffee (or more) and generally pass the time.
It's a cute, rambling house with interior open air areas as is typical of the area, lots of plants, a cat you can borrow and a dog you can't, and in the dining area they have a wall display of a couple hundred coffee cups/mugs left or sent by former guests. (I'll be taking one with me when I go back on a solo trip in a couple of months.) Good coffee, and a very nice breakfast of familiar fruits and some new to me (calala? yummy..) and bread, and fresh-squeezed juice, perfect for the warm climate.
To sum up: clean, quiet, comfortable, cute, safe, friendly, convenient, perfectly located, cheap, and I'm going back soon.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ScuBama

Reviewed 1 August 2012

San Angel was a great choice: close to the buses and the main square. The rooms are fine, especially if you're not planning on spending too much time in them anyway, and they are clean and comfortable and very reasonable (we had 2 rooms for 3 people at $30 in July). The family-owners are very friendly and helpful.We had no problems at all, and I would definitely stay there again if returning to Granada.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The hostel is greatly located just off the main plaza and quite cheap ($18 for a double). It has a nice patio and intresting owners (on one of the night there was some sort of a religious club meeting in the lobby).

So why such a bad rating? Well, for starters, the room wasn't super clean and quite damp - I guess the lack of window contributed to this. Second thing: there was a techno party on Saturday night next door and unless you were totally drunk there was absolutely no way to sleep before 3 am - we were told that this is a weekly routine so bewere of the weekends there. Further, owners' dog was using the courtyard just next to the entrance to our room as a toilet and the owners did not seem to bother at all. Finally, it was where I saw the only cockroach during 8 weeks travel in Latin America...

In summary - you can and you should find a better place in Grenada.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lukasz555
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My boyfriend and I had planned our trip from April 8th on; nonetheless a few days earlier we realized we had to move up our trip a day. We called our hostel and the administrator there told us he had no rooms available for that night but that he will go and book a room in the next door hostel, which was Hostel San Angel. We agreed and booked the room for that night a week ahead.
One day before we arrived, we confirmed the reservation.
We arrived at Granada at 7.30pm and went to Hostal San Angel immediately. When we got there we asked for our room and the girl in reception called the owner of the place. He was very rude and said he had received our reservation and that he knew we were arriving late, but that he had given our room to someone else. He didn't apologize or offer to help us look for a place to sleep. It was a nightmare finding a place to sleep that night, everything was crowded. This person was very irresponsible, and didn't act as an hostel owner. He could have offered us an option to sleep or at least an apology,...nothing, he just didn't care. I dont need to stay at his hostel to find out the type of place I will find...just read the comments below. NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Arienalua
Reviewed 10 January 2012

The room was small, kind of dirty but ok for the money. Only paid $ 12 for the night and for one night it was ok. Moved out next day to find a better place. Location is great but it lacks of all amenities. Shared my bed with a cat which was ok by me.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2011

I stayed at this hostel in August 2010 with a group of 13 people. We were charged $15usd a night, which was pretty cheap. The hostel itself was alright- for a hostel. The rooms slept 2-3 to a room. They were not in great condition. The bathroom which every room had their own, was very sketchy and there was no hot/warm water. The bed was extremely hard and old and the pillows were basically non-existent. The sheets were not clean and I did not get a good sleep here because I found dead ants under the mattress which freaked me out. The benefits to staying here are the price, location, and the owners who are great and helpful. Your stay here includes breakfast which consisted of juice, coffee, fruit and bread. It was alright but I preferred to eat elsewhere. Their was a computer available for internet that was free, but the internet was super slow and everyone wanted to get on it. Overall I would stay here again, but only if I was strapped for cash.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Stayed here during the holiday
very nice local family runs the place
price include breakfast.
rooms are quite basic and the place is safe and quiet
excellent location, right near the main Plaza of the city and close to buses anywhere

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo