“Tried once... wouldn't do it again...”
Review of La Gran Francia

La Gran Francia
Ranked #44 of 168 Restaurants in Granada
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
troy, MI
“Tried once... wouldn't do it again...”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

If a chef can not do a basic food... I can't recommend it, or risk going back twice. We came in late, and wanted a light snack. All the salads on the menu were on the "heavy side", so we ordered soup. My friend had the pumpkin soup which was OK. I ordered the chicken vegetable soup, and it was horrendous. It was cubed half inch white meat chicken breast, in a clear very salty broth heavy on the fried onion side on flavor, with tiny bits of cut vegetable. Wayyy too much meat for my taste, and I did not eat more than 2 bites of the chicken which was flavorless. I did manage to swallow the few little bits of cut vegetables which was less salty.

The waitress asked if I wanted the soup redone, but how can you? If it is just water, salt and fried onion? How can a chef not make a good soup? So they brought me a small, tiny bowl of fruit. As a courtesy....

Once bitten, twice shy... If you can't do well on the basics... forget the complex. Now.. the breakfast we had, 3 days in a row... was acceptable... but not anything to brag about. The omelet was not made the way I traditionally believe. Chopped ham and cheese was then mix with the egg. Fried in a pan, and folded in half. My understanding of omelet is that the ham, cheese, or fillings is put in the center, and the egg is folded over the top. But what do I know, as I am not a chef. The fried eggs do not have that caramelized rim that I prefer... it appeared more boiled (probably cooked on a low temperature top)... and pretty much cooked through and through. The juice was from concentrate.... except for the first day which they served real juice.

If they are going to mix the restaurant side with the "free breakfast" included on the hotel side... They will have to maintain quality on both... or it will drag their rating down. In this case, we experienced 3 breakfast, and a late night walk in light dinner. Unfortunately, they did not even offered us any bread for our soup.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank fisherdvm

Monterey, California
“Disappointed ...”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I went there especially to have their paella, and was disappointed. The dish was very pretty, and tasty, but it was overcooked so that the seafood was tough. The wine steward did open a very nice bottle of Merlot so that I could have a glass (not normally sold by the glass). The service was OK, but it took a long time. I was especially unimpressed that after what they charged for the meal (plus tax and gratuity, of course), that they charged me an extra dollar for a throw-away styrofoam take home container.

• Visited January 2014
“Simply great!”
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

I went there with my husband for dinner as a couple of friends recommended it. We were not dissappointed as the food was delicious and the staff was super friendly. We were at the Arcangel room which had a romantic touch, and later on we went upstairs and sat for a drink at the balcony with a great view of town. Would happily go back.

Visited November 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Great food and drinks at an optimal spot!”
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Been to La Gran Francia various times and I'm always happy to go back. The food there is reaaaally good (my favorite is the steak with gorgonzola cheese) and the service is superb. And when we fancy a drink, the balcony upstairs is one of the best spots to enjoy the town as it overlooks the Granada park and the Cathedral. I wish I were there now with a michelada! Anyways.. I highly recommend it!

Visited December 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Not what it used to be!”
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

I have visited this location sense 2002. It was a great place to go and have a nice quiet dinner. Everytime I went there, the service was top of the line, the food was good, and the prices okay. This year I found it a complete difference. As I walked in with my gf we wanted to eat in the up-stair bar, but were stopped by a waiter who said that that was not possible. However, in the pass I have been able to. We settle on the downstairs, as we walked in, their was no air flowing, the place felt muggy. I ask the waiter if he be so kind to turn on the AC, but he never did. We also waited for more then 30 min and no one came to offer anything. Thats when we decided to have a drink at the bar. As we walked out, we saw the waiters standind around talking to the host. Sing that he didn't care to services us. When we walked in to the bar, it was empty and dirty glasses everywhere. Thats when my date and I decided to leave. I'm never coming back here... Truly a shame.