“The Perfect Choice”

La Islita Boutique Hotel
Ranked #6 of 69 Granada B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 May 2009

This was our first time to Nicaragua so we were a bit unsure of which hotel to choose. We couldn't have chosen better. Upon arrival, we were met immediately by the owners of the hotel (and their very well-behaved Cocker Spaniel, Emmit), who showed us to our spacious and well-appointed room: flat-screen TV with cable, air-conditioning and fan, king-sized bed with wonderful linens, balcony, and a huge shower. The only change I would make is better overhead lighting but there were several lamps to light up the room, when needed.

The location of the hotel was perfect: only two blocks to the main pedestrian street and three to parque central. This placed us in the middle of everything but, being at the end of a cul-de-sac, without the noise that a hotel on one of the main streets has. The breakfast each morning was freshly-brewed organic coffee, freshly-cut local fruits and freshly-squeezed orange juice. Demonstrating the lengths to which the staff went to please us, one morning, after indicating our desire to eat some of the local specialties, we were served nacatamales for breakfast.

The owners were always available for suggestions of tours, cities, restaurants and, of course, the best macua that can be found in Granada. The rooftop terrace provided a tranquil location for reading with wonderful views of the city, including the Cathedral. We initially planned to stay only two nights at the hotel but ended up staying four. A wonderful trip due in no small part to La Islita and its owners.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joel27517

Reviewed 20 April 2009

I was vacationing with my 26 year old son who has been travelling the world and I hadn't seen in one year! Our first stop directly from the airport was La Islita for 3 nights. Tim and Andreas were the best hosts...warm, friendly and very informative of our surroundings. I definitely had my reservations about Nicaragua but was at ease when I arrived at their very clean, comfortable and charming hotel. If you are travelling in Granada you have to stay here!!

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed 12 April 2009

What can I say? Before my trip to Nicaragua I was not sure what to expect of an underdeveloped poor country. Little did I know that this beautiful place was so rich and vibrant with beauty and personaility! La Islita was the perfect choice for accomodation and was a huge highlight for my trip. Nestled on a tiny, quiet street 2 blocks from the city center, La Islita is a peaceful retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city streets in beautiful Granada. Most hotels are on busy and crowded intersections and offer unattractive rooms. La Islita, however, gives the traveller all of the conveniences of home! Once you walk through the wooden doors and the colorful facade you find yourself in a tropical paradise! Beautiful wooden decor and colorful tiles adorn the place. Relax by the bar and enjoy the calming sounds of the water fountain, breathe in the fresh breezy air and listen to the great mix of eclectic tunes that friendly owners Tim and Andres play throughout the day. Rooms are large and clean - - - bathrooms are colorful and the hot water in the large tiled showers is plentiful. Cable TV is also available. Virginia (the assistant) serves a nice healthy breakfast (fruit and bread) in the morning accompanied by hot coffee and juice. Everything about this place is awesome - you feel like you are in a trendy Miami hotel! Tim and Andres will be more than happy to recommend tours and suggestions (take advantage of some of the tours offered by Tierra - they are good). Do not let the very short walk (about a minute) on the dirt road intimidate you - it is currently being reconstructed. La Islita - a great little gem in the heart of colonial Granada!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2009

La Islita is situated at the end of a quaint street in Granada yet is just steps away from all there is to see and do in this fantastic colonial city.

The hotel itself is in a lovely colonial property and features an open air courtyard with a giant mango tree providing shade from the strong Central American sun. It's a perfect place to enjoy your breakfast (fresh mango from the tree you're sitting under anyone?), a book or just unwind with some Flor de Cana after a long day of walking, climbing and exploring. For those of us who love dogs, Emmett provides a little entertainment and companionship as he struts his stuff and shows off his fabulous coach collar.

Our room featured a large shower, private balcony, AC, super comfortable bed, flat panel TV, desk and large armoire in which to keep your clothes . The setup was extremely comfortable. Did I mention that toilet was flushable without a bucket? A nice touch.

In addition to the courtyard and our private balcony, there is also a large sun deck with views of the surrounding city. It's a great place to bronze your skin if you're so inclined.

Your hosts, Tim and Andres, as well as the local staff are a pleasure and are willing to do whatever it takes to make your stay a memorable one. They know the majority of the country quite well (Andres is originally from Matagalpa) and can give excellent recommendations on where to go and how to get there.

I'm very much looking forward to a return trip in the near future and more time at La Islita... and more Flor de Cana! ;-)

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2009

This brand new boutique is nice and relaxing, close to all the sites of Granada. La Islita is located at the end of a street so it's a nice and quiet place to be.

It's upscale by Nicaraguan standards--hot water, AC, flat screen TV, toilets that actually flush, free wifi. Bedding was very comfortable. The rate was reasonable. Everything is spotless.

Tim and Andres were extremely wonderful hosts! (And the night watch kid was too!...) They were very helpful with itinerary ideas in Granada and elsewhere. The house dog is cute too.

The center courtyard area was a good place to hang out, read a book, chat, page through their magazines and what not. There's an upper balcony you can catch some sun from, with views of the town center as well as the nearby volcano.

Breakfast was continental style and delicious at that... They serve organic coffee that's fresh from one of the coffee farms at the volcano.

I could've stayed for another week! Next time...

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dddane
Reviewed 22 February 2009

This was my first time in Granada and I was thrilled to have stumbled across this very chic colonial style hotel just a stone's throw away from the main strip. Both the owners and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful and gave me lots of information and tips on where to find the most competitively priced excursions and tours, where to eat and drink and the best places to buy local artisan crafts. They really were a friendly bunch!
The hotel itself is down an unpaved road about 2 blocks from the main street and once inside you are greeted with beautiful features such as a tropical courtyard, wooden columns, reclaimed roof tile, huge wooden doors, wrought ironwork and colonial inspired floor tile. The reception area is particularly comfortable and vibrant and also had free wi-fi. So nice not having to trundle up a street to find an internet cafe. There is a rooftop terrace which provided wonderful views of Mombacho Volcano and Granada's Cathedral and I sat up there on two occasions with a cold beer. A real funky feature at the hotel was the huge mango tree bang slap in the middle of the property. I'm pleased to report that some of the mangos had been turned into a jam which I enjoyed as part of my delicious homemade breakfast.
My room was very tranquil and had all the usual amenities such as hot water, flat screen TV with cable, A/C and a ceiling fan which was made from that beautiful Italian coloured glass. The bed was really comfortable with Egyptian Cotton sheets. Very nice indeed! The high cane ceiling was a wonderfully attractive feature and a constant throughout the property. It made my room, which was already of generous proportion, feel much much bigger.
One thing you do notice on arrival is just how clean this place is. My room was also spotless.

It was an absolute pleasure staying here. Being a solo female traveller has its down points but I have to say that on this occasion La Islita was a beautifully chic oasis where the staff and owners made me feel so welcome and comfortable I felt like I had known them for years. I would definitely recommend this hotel. 5 Stars!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 February 2009

My mother and I stayed in LaIslita for 3 nights and had a great stay. The owners and staff were very friendly and attentive to our needs. Our room was very clean and the whole hotel has a bright, happy feel to it. It was a great oasis to make our base in the midst of the busyness of Granada.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family