“Stunning gem, incredible hotel!!”
Review of Hotel La Bocona

Hotel La Bocona
Ranked #31 of 45 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We had the great fortune of discovering Hotel La Bocona through Jetsetter. I am so glad we came upon this incredible hotel. From moment one the service was amazing. Everyone who worked at the hotel knew us by name by the end and tried their best to make our stay as comfortable as possible.

As soon as you walk through the courtyards to your room you know you are in for something special. And then the room itself-amazing four post bed, beautifully tiled floors and a crazy comfy mattress!! You really feel like this is your private home and you are transported back to a time when simplistic beauty and service meant everything.

The bathrooms are not attached to your room, but you have your own private bathroom just across the way that you control with a key. Since there are only 6 rooms I think, we never felt awkward or inconvenienced by walking right across the beautiful garden hall to our private and spacious bathroom. I would not let this fact deter anyone from spending their time in Granada at La Bocona.

The pool was amazing to dip in after a day of Granada heat, the pool table was a great addition to some afternoon fun, and the homemade pina coladas were amazing!!! Anything you want (waters, beers, frozen drinks made from hand in the kitchen) you just ask and it is there in an instant. And the breakfast! Amazing!! Such a great array of options made specifically just for you, with whatever additions or changes you want. We really felt like we were the only people in the hotel and it was as if the whole place was our own private home!

Anywhere outside of Nicaragua this hotel would be in the multi-hundreds of dollars per night, because it truly is a 5 star experience and probably the most beautiful hotel I have ever seen.

Location is great too, right in the center of Granada but not on the main noisy streets.

If you find yourself in Granada please do not miss this hotel-it was the highlight of our trip in terms of its beauty, calming service and overall world class atmosphere.

Room Tip: We stayed in a junior suite and honestly it was huge. Unless you need a ton of open room (we saw som...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Our team is thrilled that we had a hand in making your vacation so wonderful -- It is exactly what we set out to do!

Thank you so much for having stayed with us and for your review. We are eagerly looking forward to your return!

Reviewed 6 June 2012

I don't even know where to start, so I guess I'll begin by saying that Hotel La Bocona makes you want to cry when you walk in and cry even more when you have to leave. This hotel is so amazingly beautiful that it puts 4 diamond properties to shame. The simplistic beauty of the hotel itself is above reproach. The rooms, the ceiling, the beds, the pool, the spa, the courtyard, the art; every detail is absolutely stunning. Sad to say as outstanding as those things are, they pale in comparison to the people of Hotel La Bocona. I literally fell in love with every employee of the hotel. I felt a genuine love and care that you don't get at a run of the mill hotel. The staff at the hotel made my life easier and lovelier day by day. I had the opportunity to spend 5 days at La Bocona and it was easily the best five days of the year thus far, the only thing that will top it, will be going back. Some of the major benefits of staying at La Bocona include its central location (not too touristy, but a close walk to everything); the ridiculously tasty breakfast (papas to die for and juice so good I wanted to scream after every sip); the afternoon snack (the coffee and treat make everything better); the free wi-fi; the lack of a television (who needs a TV in Granada-get out and vibe the city); and of course a group of employees that make you feel like family every second of the day.

Needless to say Granada was amazing, but being able to stay at La Bocona took this trip from fantastic to an unforgettable experience like none other. I can't think of anywhere else I would stay when I go back to Granada. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to experience beauty and warmth in the heart of a city that's vivacious and contagious enough to make you pick up and move. Lastly, outside of being at La Bocona, no picture you will ever see , no review you will ever read, and no online description will ever ever do this hotel and its exemplary employees justice. LA BOCONA, STAYING THERE IS BELIEVING!!!

Gilbert C.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
HotelBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

The team and I are so appreciative to read your review that we are practically beaming with pride!

We are here to serve you well -- make you feel like La Bocona is your home. We're grateful that we were able to accomplish this and assist you to have such a memorable, special vacation.

Thank you so much... And, we're anxiously waiting for you to come back soon!

Reviewed 7 May 2012

We chose to stay at La Bocona because the pictures online showed a stunning, unique property with charm and classic style. Our expectations were high - and were completely blown out of the water when we arrived. The hotel is GORGEOUS in every way; the room was the nicest I have ever stayed in (anywhere) and the central courtyard was incredibly serene. Not a thing seemed out of place or unkempt. If the beauty of the accommodations weren't enough in itself to make us faithful repeat guests (we will definitely stay there again our next time in Granada), the warm friendliness and cheerful assistance of the staff sealed the deal. Nadene was great with the reservations process, the nighttime receptionist/watchman who welcomed us upon our late arrival was incredibly kind and helpful, and every other staff person with whom we interacted was equally welcoming. I strongly recommend a reflexology massage at the on-site Balance spa. I am not sure of the massage therapist's name, but she had me on a totally different planet by the time the hour was through. We loved everything about our experience at Hotel La Bocona.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
HotelBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

We 're so happy that we were able to meet your expectations and more!

We are very clear that this is exactly what clients deserve and we make every effort to reach the highest of standards.

Thank you for your comments, your stay and your intentions of returning --it all means so much to us.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

There are few hotels I spend time scheming ways about how soon I can return to them.
But then, there are few hotels staffed by such a loving and magnificent a staff, set in as gorgeous environment.

The hotel staff creates an atmosphere that, in the most professional way possible, is more like a family than a staff. The women of La Bocona are premiere examples of how to run the hotel with efficiency, joy, and a sense of humour. And each time I arrive I am struck by how much I wish I never had to leave.

My advice is, no longer how long you are planning to stay as a guest here, the time you have at La Bocona is never enough.

Note to technological nomads:
The internet is excellent. I spent 20 days at the Hotel La Bocona, "working from home" (ie telecommuting by the pool). And there are, in fact, few things as gratifying as skyping your clients with the colonial garden or pool in the background. :D

Room Tip: All the rooms are fantastic, but it is fair to warn that when Nicas celebrate, they do so with vibra...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Kristin N
HotelBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

Your kind words are very much appreciated!

Thank you for bringing your friends last time--they were so enjoyable!

And, we are always going to be here to welcome you back when you decide to "work from home"! You light us all up with your presence.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

Wow. We knew the hotel would be lovely from the pictures and reviews, yet it exceeded our expectations. We booked six nights here and were initially interested in going to the beach so we could see the Pacific side too. We ended up staying in Granada and doing closer day trips, partly because we fell in love with the hotel and never wanted to leave it. (And because a rental car was needed to get to the most remote, beautiful beaches, it wasn't just a day trip, and we just wanted R&R versus trekking around.)

From the moment you arrive, you feel like royalty. The thought and style that was put into the restoration is incredible. Suncatchers above the doors, pre-Columbian ceramics, three gorgeous courtyards including the perfect pool to wake to and cool down in, colorful modern abstract paintings all over, unique wood and glass hutches-turned-bookcases. And because you come to appreciate what a work of art this place is, you also appreciate that the owner chose to maintain the original structure of the rooms, not moving the bathrooms into the guest rooms. Having your bathroom across the courtyard grows on you. And the robe and slippers to cross the courtyard are a nice touch.

The guest rooms were also beautiful, and the bed was the best part, with its four posts, dark wood frame and white linens and canopy. I felt like the Princess and the Pea and slept really well. I loved that the small room felt sooo big because the ceilings are sooo high. The fan helps dim any late night noises from outside, and only once was I woken up in the wee hours, on a weekend night. Proximity to the road was the only down side of the hotel, but a drop in the bucket compared to the overall experience here, and the perfect location for experiencing Granada. We requested a/c before we left and got one a few days into the trip, but we really didn't need it at night and ended up turning it off since the fan did the job of cooling us down. It was nice in the late afternoon heat after a day trip.

The breakfast and afternoon snack were delicious. Good papas, eggs and pico de gallo - try a different dish every day. And we loved waking up to Olga, the incredibly hospitable waitress, chef and housekeeper. She remembered that I don't like onions from day one, and left them out of the fresh pico de gallo every morning thereafter. When we went to the isletas, she found us a thermos cooler for packing sandwiches and ice.

The people of this country could not be nicer. How refreshing that was, to see such a bright side of humanity.

Nadene was great at anticipating what we were looking for and suggesting things to do and see. She was genuinely dedicated to all guests having a great time. We also really enjoyed talking with the other hotel guests.

We liked the hotel's recommended restaurants too, published in a page of the guest directory. We went to Los Portales three times! The chicken burritos and pico de gallo are a-ma-zing. Fresh, cheerful, cheap food and the nicest waiter ever. Other favorites were El Tercer Ojo, Garden Cafe and some of the little restaurants for a chicken hamburger or fish and rice on Calle la Calzada. We loved getting chancho con yuca at Modesto Kiosko in the central square two blocks from the hotel for $3 - pork, yucca, cabbage, oil served on a banana leaf. The portion is small - we always wanted a second lunch later. You can get a bag of sliced mangos for just a few cordoba. They add salt & chili oil which I didn't think it needed at all, but fascinating to try.

We shopped in the central square in Granada and bought some great jewelry and t-shirts, but our best deals were in Mercado Nuevo in Masaya, a 60-cent, 15 minute bus ride away. We got our wedding favors there and they were much more open to negotiating vs. Mercado Viejo, which is nicer looking but more touristy. Mercado Nuevo is only locals for the most part, so bring your Spanish.

Cafe Nuit was great for salsa & merengue dancing. $1 cover on a Sat. night, stone walkway lined with plants leads to a beautiful bar, with a lively band playing and a mixed local and tourist crowd. A heads up that the drinks are weak, so you're better off getting beer. We also ate dinner here (called Dona Conchi/shared space) and the paella and sangritas were pretty good. Not our best meal, but tasty.

The Hostel near the hotel (turn right out the front door and go 1/2 block on your right) is a good resource for day trips and meeting people, and place to have a beer and use a computer for free, or take a hammock swing. Our next door neighbor at La Bocona found our best day trip through the Hostel - to San Simian in Laguna de Apoyo, for $6 each way per person, 10am-4pm. We knew we struck gold when we got there to find just a few locals out swimming in the gorgeous volanic crater lake. We lounged in hammocks, floated in inner tubes, swam, kayaked (careful - one kayak kept sinking!), ate fish tacos and a great burger, drank Tono beers and made new friends. It was the perfect day.

Hotel La Bocona is a definite find (thank you Jetsetter!), and the strength of the dollar makes Nicaragua an excellent value. We came home with a refreshed perspective and loved our time there.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
HotelBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

We were super-thrilled to have had you both stay with us! Each team member has asked me since when you're coming back...

It was so nice to get to know you and to feel like friends were waiting for us when we came in to start our day. Thank you for that.

P.S. Please send us a snapshot of your future wedding --we want to see you on your big day! And, I'm sure your guests are going to love those special souvenirs!

Esperando la proxima viaje, NH

Reviewed 3 April 2012

I have stayed here many times and its always a pleasure. We usually spend one or two nights here when we are on our way to SJDS from Managua and have a late flight getting into MGA or an early flight out.

The hotel is beautiful, each room lovelier than the next. The beds are amazing and have fantastic sheets. The included breakfast is big and hearty. The pool is clean and warm. And the gardens and public spaces are a wonderful place to relax -- and catch up on email and work as there is free wifi throughout the property.

We really like the location best, as its just OFF the Central Park -- but not on it. So you are in the center of town but not in the center of all the noise. You can get to the action and the pulse of the city and then retreat to the hotel.

The staff is helpful, friendly and polite -- and Nadene the manager speaks perfect English.

We recommend La Bocona to all of our friends who come to Nica.

Room Tip: If you can, get the Big Room, as its 1400 square feet (!) with 14 foot ceilings -- and quite a treat...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
HotelBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

We are always so excited to know that you are coming to visit -- all team members look forward to it!
We appreciate you referring your awesome friends as well. The hotel feels like a home full of family when guests like you are here.
Thank you so much for your review and we look forward to serving you many more times in the future!

Reviewed 31 March 2012

All of the other reviews on this website rave about the beauty of this fabulous palace in the heart of a beautiful city-and they are right! Every word that sings the praises of this restored marvel is deserved; it truly is a masterpiece in elegance and style. The rooms are big enough to do cartwheels in, and if you want to do somersaults on the bed, you have ample room. The four poster, gauzy draped bed makes you feel like royalty. The gardens, pool, and courtyards are all impeccable and gorgeous.

Now, anyone can create a beautiful property, but not everyone can match it with fantastic service and thoughtful extras, like Hotel la Bocona. Little things and big things are what add up to a perfect stay: the staff is thoughtful and anticipate your every need, the chocolates and cold water waiting in the room upon arrival, the delicious afternoon snack delivered at your convenience, and the complimentary gym membership at Pure are just a few of the things that catapult this hotel over the top in both service and style.

My only disappointment was that I could only stay one night! I hope to be able to return soon to a place where I feel welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for a fabulous stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
HotelBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2012

We have tried create an atmosphere worthy of our wonderful guests and are delighted that you are pleased and satisfied with the service and value we provide. We appreciate your stay with us -- thank you!