“Great stay at Miss Margrit's”

Miss Margrit's Guest House
Ranked #3 of 69 Granada B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My daughter and I stayed at Miss Margrit's for 2 nights in early April. Yes, we agree with all the other reviews, and all our expectations based on these were met and even exceeded. A few things that stand out, however, is the exceptional care that Chris provides his guests. In our case, our 1st flight was extremely delayed which caused us to miss our connecting flight in Houston. We were quite concerned about transportation from Managua to Granada, as our new flight would not be arriving until after 9pm. A quick call to Chris took care of it. Chris arranged for Andy, a local driver, to be waiting at the airport with my name on a card. He loaded up our luggage and safely transported us to Miss Margrit's where we were greeted by Ester, a friend of Chris, who had our bags taken to our room, answered any questions we had and provided us information for our stay. Chris returned shortly and again greeted us and made arrangements for us to do a kayak tour of Las Isletas the following afternoon with a guide named Vladamir. I can't say enough about the wonderful accommodations and service. We stayed in the Mirador room on the top floor, which was a wonderful way to begin our Nicaragua vacation. The breakfast was cooked to order and delicious. We took a carriage ride around the city and then went on the kayak tour. Chris had a taxi pick us up, deliver us to the dock area where we met with Vladamir, took an amazing 3 hour tour of Las Isletas(the highlight of our stay in Granada) and then the taxi brought us back afterwards. The guide Chris arranged, Vladamir, was the best. He provided guidance and information throughout the tour, pointed out the various birds and vegetation with interesting stories along the way, stopped to get coconuts with straws and some small fruits which tasted like plums and even took photos for us with his phone, as we had not brought our cameras. After asking if we liked bats, he pointed out a tree where some dwelled. They swooped out over our heads and startled us, but it was great fun, and Vladamir caught it on camera. We also visited Monkey Island, where we fed them some coconut. We took the phone back, downloaded the photos, and then Vladamir stopped by to pick it up. Basically, I highly recommend taking a kayak tour of Las Isletas and asking Chris to arrange it with Vladamir. On our last morning, we felt bad that we had not had time to take a tour of the Masaya Volcano, but not to fear, as Chris was there again, arranging a quick tour with another driver, David, who drove us, gave us the short narrative and allowed us some time to hike about the different vantage points. Miss Margrit's is great, Chris makes it the best!

Room Tip: I've heard all the rooms are good. We very much enjoyed the Mirador room for the accommodation...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I can't say enough good things about Miss Margrit's. What needs to be said first is the service. I thought that Chris was an excellent host. He is also very chill (which I really appreciated), only making the experience here better. Yet what I thought was great about this B&B was the small details. I loved the wooden flooring since it gave me the chance to walk around in my room without sandals. I really liked the bathrooms (especially the sink). The hot water was superb since I didn't have to wait for the water to get hot (which is something that has been a problem for me before in other places in Granada). There were also beach towels in the bathroom for the pool. The room that I was staying in had a balcony with two rocking chairs. This was probably my favorite part of my room because it overlooked the patio with the pool. Breakfast was also really good. The bed was really comfortable. The one last thing I really liked in my room was the lighting. There were two reading lamps which lit up the room sufficiently for me at night instead of turning on the overhead light. The only thing that I would change about the room is having a TV. Even though I don't watch TV too often there's something (at least for me) cozy about having a TV in a given room. Other than that, two thumbs up for this excellent B&B! Loved this place!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Wonderful stay. Would love to go back. Excellent location near the centre of Granada which we loved. Lovely clean, spacious rooms and great breakfast. Chris and his staff were very friendly and helpful. He arranged a most enjoyable, inexpensive day trip with a local guide/ driver to Masaya volcano and surrounding area. Excellent service - never had free laundry before! We were most happy to tip the staff as Chris suggested. The property is lovely with a pool and beautiful open courtyard. Loved it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I started and finished my vacation in Nicaragua at Miss Margrit's. Upon arriving I was greeted warmly by the staff, given a cold Tona and shown my room, which was absolutely stunning.... and the open air shower, bliss! The staff gave me a run-down of Granada, where we were located and how to get around. They arranged kayaking trips, a hike up Mombacho and a private driving tour of Pueblos Blancos. They made sure I saw everything I hoped to and more. Granada surpassed my every expectation. Breakfast at the guesthouse each morning was the perfect start to the day, and a great way to meet other travelers. The coffee was arguably some of the best I've ever had. I spent 3 nights at Miss Margrit's and then returned for one final night at the end of my trip. I had intended to go out in Granada on that final night, but I was enjoying the courtyard of the guesthouse so much, I couldn't peel myself away. From the pool I could see the stars. It was the perfect calming close to an incredible trip in Nicaragua. The next morning, Chris was kind enough to wake up before the sun and make me coffee before I caught an early morning taxi to the airport. I would recommend Miss Margrit's to anyone. The location, charm, staff and rooms are unrivaled. I will be back. Thank you Chris, Keelay and everyone else who helped make my time in Granada so memorable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I haven't got a lot to say other than what has been said. Great room, great location, great breakfast, beautiful colonial home, nice refreshing pool, easy going atmosphere, great staff. I will say we were a little disappointed on arriving to learn Chris was away after reading what a great host he is. However he has obviously trained his staff well. We were met at the airport by Andy, well taken care of by the ladies who do the cooking and cleaning, and went on a fabulous city tour with David who speaks excellent English and is incredibly knowledgeable about his city and country. The lovely young lady who was filling in for Chris was very friendly and accommodating and my husband enjoyed visiting with her very much. If you want to feel at home while you are away and meet other travelers while being well looked after this is the place.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at Miss Margrit's on our honeymoon and throughly enjoyed being there. It was one of the highlights of being in Granada. Chris is a fantastic host, and the sitting around the morning breakfast table chatting with the other guests was one of my favorite parts of our trip. From the outside Mass Margrit's looks like most colonial Granada buildings, but inside, it is beautiful and very cozy. I am so happy that we stayed here, I would absolutely do it again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dim7chord
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Stay here but book in advance! I agree with all other comments and couldn't state things better myself. Great location, clean airy rooms and helpful owners. It's number one for a reason and lives up to its expectations.

No cons to relay. Honestly.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple