“Got my laptop stolen by staff” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Treehouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
The Treehouse
On the road
“Got my laptop stolen by staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I have very mixed feelings about the place. The manager at the time was just amazing person and the volunteers were also really nice.

But. One of them stole my laptop from the hostel "safety". It was behind the locks and only the staff knew the code for the lock. I had in the safety my laptop in a bag with my wallet, charger, mp3-player and other stuff. The day I was leaving I got the bag back, and the computer was missing. As was 4 dollars and 5 euros. Nothing else, not even the charger was taken. The person really had time to think what he wanted from my bag.

It's a shame that one person can spoil the whole thing. Otherwise I had a great time. The manager compensated my loss with some money and free nights. But I lost all my pictures for the last 20 months.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank HontzyOntheroad
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
First let me thank you for giving us this glowing 1 dot rating. I really love trip advisor and all the people, like yourself who take the time to bash us for things that are out of our control.
Like all businesses, we have no way of knowing who might be a bad apple. Lie detector test and FBI screenings don't seem to be a possibility.
We have now limited access to the safe room and the key is controlled by one person.
I am very sorry you lost your laptop. I also believe we offered to buy you a new computer which you failed to mention.
Again, thanks and keep on reviewing.
On a side note, a guy working on top of a bus stole my friend's wallet. The bus was nice and comfortable and I found everything else great about it. I can't seem to find it on trip advisor though, any ideas how I can stop other's from enjoying it?

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Gracias, Honduras
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

My stay at Poste Rojo was straight out of a dream, and I certainly count it in the top 3 most amazing places I've ever stayed. It's sort of like never-never land, a wonderful place to forget about the world for a few days. The volunteer staff and rotating cast of characters built a wonderful sense of community that made for a really unique and special traveling experience. The location is amazing because it's close enough to make day trips into Granada and to other places of interest in the area, but nicely tucked away from all the touristy busyness of Granada. It's definitely a place to slow down, but also has wild side. You never know when somebody will break out the costume box and start a 90's pop fueled dance party.

If you're not the adventurous type, Poste Rojo might not be the right place for you, but if you're into monkey watching, hammock chilling, and incredibly positive vibes you should definitely swing by. It's a pretty special place.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Geniusinger , Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 4 June 2016
Hola and thanks for your review, I realise it was quite sometime ago you stayed here & we never thanked for your feedback! We are also under new management now and have done a lot of work on The Treehouse. Hopefully if you are back in Nicaragua you can come and see the changes we have made :) all the best - Jon
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

I enjoyed my time at Poste Rojo, but it is definitely not a place for everyone. We took a "shuttle" from a hostel in Granada into the jungle. By "shuttle", I mean one person driving FAR too many people for safety in a small van. Everyone was crammed in with stuff and absolutely no space to breathe. You get to the end of the road and hike up. Hike up a lot. Once there, it is worth it, but it does take some effort to actually get there.

Now, if you're looking for sleep, a busy night here will not let that happen. If there is a large crowd, expect a very late, very wild party with lots of drunkenness and possibly some drug problems. If you're looking for a really nice and crazy night of partying late and loud, this is the place because there are no neighbors. Of course, with only a few people, I can imagine this place being a nature paradise. The physical place is amazing with a really cool bridge through the trees. We saw lots of monkeys from the deck, some really quite close.

All-in-all, I'd recommend it, but it's good to know that you might not sleep at all and most everyone there will be drunk, but it's fun and the staff/volunteers are awesome.

Room Tip: Hammocks are cheap, but not really the best sleep (but also not the worst). Dorms look pretty good...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 462David
Geniusinger , Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 4 June 2016
Hola and thanks for your review, I realise it was quite sometime ago you stayed here & we never thanked for your feedback! We are also under new management now and have done a lot of work on The Treehouse including thinking about safety concerns. Hopefully if you are back in Nicaragua you can come and see the changes we have made :) all the best - Jon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

1st I would like to say, this is a very rustic place on the side of a mountain, with everything but the dorm open air. And as long as you are aware & comfortable with that you should have an awesome time.
I went to get away from "the big city" for a couple of days & mission accomplished. The free shuttle up there was an experience in itself. But once I was there the volunteers made me feel at home. And Jo, the manager, well that lady can cook. The other meals were basic, but dinner rocked & at a good price too. They have a Rum Punch that was delicious & cheap & I don't usually go for punches.
I highly recommend this place for the right guest.

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

I absolutely loved the treehouse. First of all...its a treehouse!!! It's peaceful and relaxing with the most beautiful sunsets. You can watch the monkeys, do yoga, or just relax with a book in a hammock. The staff is friendly and welcoming. The family dinners are delicious and affordable...well worth the money! Depending on who's there it can be a chill movie night (with a projector) or a party night!! Lots of good people and good vibes.

• Stayed March 2013
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Yeah! Finally Trip Advisor allowed a great review to be published! This proves that this site is not deleting all of our excellent reviews. Only most of them. We are happy that some people spread the love. Thank you so much for your contribution.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

The location is just great, very cool treehouse with amazing view and wild life. One of the things I really enjoyed is to hear monkeys when you wake up. Do not expect to much of a party place as seems to be when you look at the website. It wasn't when I was there, I guess that is more for occasions. Other thing I must mention, it is quite small so be prepared you have to interact with people and it might always be that you don't really like them or they don't like you. However, you should definetly check it out and if you dont like it you can always leave.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

Treehouse Poste Rojo is set in a remarkably beautiful place and definitely has a rustic vibe to it. We saw monkeys and other interesting wildlife and enjoyed they laid-back vibes. The staff were friendly and the private rooms were ok - they're connected to the dorms and it's loud whenever someone walks on the platform on which they're built, but most people hang out up at the bar so it's not a huge issue.

I say that this place is "hit or miss" because with the right group of guests, volunteers, and staff, I think it would totally rock, and have had friends rave about their experiences there. When I went it seemed that all of the staff were new, which made things seem pretty unorganized (they were very clear, however that you shouldn't leave valuables in your room and offer to keep some of them behind the bar for you and/or rent you a lock.)In San Juan del Sur there are posters plastered around the city advertizing free rum on Wednesdays which they didn't actually offer. The food was ok, but there wasn't enough for everyone to eat as much as they wanted. I'd recommend bringing snacks. There is free double-filtered drinking water but it tastes a little funky, and bring some hand sanitizer if you ever want to wash your hands.

It's a very unique hostel in a very unique setting...and you'll probably have a unique experience.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LANNB24
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Thank you for this spot on review. Poste Rojo is working on a flaw proof system of weeding out guest and volunteers volunteers with different taste and personalities. We call it the "Hit Hit" system. It makes your stay "the best" by ensuring that only your BFF's and party buddies are at Poste Rojo when you arrive.
Just a couple of counterpoints to your review:
We do not rent locks. They are FREE with a refundable deposit.
If the FREE water is not to your liking we offer bottled water for purchase at the bar.
FREE Rum night, like many other parties is over. We apologize if there are still fliers around for old events. I assure you if you find a Full Moon Party advertised in October of 2012 it will not be happening when you arrive. I simply don't have the resources to have staff traveling around removing old fliers from cities throughout Nicaragua and Central America.
As for the food, if you did not get enough one of those new staff would have gladly made more for you upon request. Poste Rojo stands 100% by communal meals. They are one of the most enjoyed aspects of many guests stay. Our portions are huge and at a great price.
Snacks, you can bring your own or choose from the menu of over 20 types of candy, drinks, chips, meals etc... that we offer.
For those who don't carry hand sanitizer in their Central America fanny pack, we have a sink and showers that you can wash your hands in.