“A backpacker's must! It's a hard place to leave!”
Review of The Treehouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
The Treehouse
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
“A backpacker's must! It's a hard place to leave!”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This place is so great! So accepting, great atmosphere, great parties... It is in the trees and monkeys pass by daily! The sunsets are amazing and the people are fantastic! Relax in a hammock drinking a beer during the day or go on an adventure nearby (Laguna de Apollo or Mombacho Volcano) and then party during the night! There is a rope bridge, a costume box, and a killer dance floor. The volunteers are really welcoming and fun. A backpacker's must if you are near Granada.

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thanks for another awesome review. THIS IS OUR TYPE OF GUEST! Great people who know a wonderful place when they find it. Oh, and those who don't mind stumbling drunk down the hill are good too.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for a night for a break from Granada. We had such a fun night partying with the volunteers!!! It's definitely a rustic environment, but if you can handle a few little bugs and an outhouse, you'll be fine. We had a great time here and wish we could have stayed longer. Sorry that you're now out of Tonas and rum punch!
Love La Flaminca and Candy

• Stayed July 2013
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Great. Help spread the word. We love when our guest have an awesome time. Don't worry we have plenty of beer for the next time!
Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I had such an amazing time at Poste Rojo, the views during the rainy season were incredible. Everything is so green and lush, I have heard from others that you can see amazing sunsets every night during the dry season. The volunteers and management were very funny and entertaining to hang out, but they didn't try to force or pressure us into drinking which I really appreciated,The dorms I slept in were super comfortable and very clean as well. The hike down the hill can be a little treacherous at night but it's definitely not a huge deal. The new hammoc deck they just completed is beautiful and a great spot to retreat away from the bar which can be very noisy at times.Oh, and the family dinner is amazing and absolutely worth it! I think our chefs for the night were Scott and Eloise and they made some wonderful stuffed cannelloni, it had been such a long time since I have had such a good meal.

I hope I can be there for the next full moon party, they sound amazing!

All in all, very highly recommended if you think this type of place is for you :)

Room Tip: Dorms, Private Rooms, Hammocks, they say the private treehouse is really far from the bar
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2013

The unpleasantries began when my fiancee and I found ourselves lost trying to simply find the Hostel. Sitting unmarked in the jungle, it took the help of locals passing by to even get on the right path. Once on our way, we happened to get passed by the Hostel truck driven by 'manager' Scott who, with a grunt no less, offered us a ride to the 'bottom of the stairs'. From there, without an offer of assistance with our bags, he bolted up the rocks and waited for us at our 'semi-private room' at the bottom of the main lodge. We asked about the full private and he said, and I quote "Sorry, yeah, the private rooms aren't available at all actually. The maids and landscapers demanded them to continue working for us. All we can offer is dorm style or semi-private"; alas, we gave in. We went into our room (which was filthy, no less - yes it's a jungle, but still, take some pride. The sheets were covered in dead bugs and looked like they hadn't been changed in a long time) and immediately noticed that the power was out to which he claimed "we are working on it, it should be ready before night fall". So, we carried on with unwinding and decided to make our way up to the main "treehouse" common area. (note: by nightfall, there as still no power and we had to rely on flashlight apps on our phones to see our way around).

We asked about dinner (chicken breast and cucumber salad, $5US each) to which they replied it'll be ready at 7PM. We happily said sign us up and decided to play cards. We decided to loosen up over some drinks to which, upon ordering, we were met with the following setback: no beer and nothing to mix with other than pepsi or their "energy punch". Just RUM or water. Fun. When dinne was finally ready, 45 mins late, Scott and the other 'employees' threw the food down in front of us, lacking cutlery, and said dig in. Because the cook was "too stoned" and they were having "issues with a burner", dinner was on a first come-first served basis, NOT the family setting they mentioned prior. Alas, we ate. As it turned out, there wasn't enough food to go around, and some people had to wait significantly longer to eat anything.

After dinner, we decided to continue our card game with another traveling couple and sat beside the bar doing so. As we got comfortable, we noticed Scott and his staff clearly doing drugs in front of the hostel guests. Less than an hour later, before the third staff member started working, Scott and his girlfriend decided they were 'done working' and vanished from sight. Therefore, no more alcohol, or anything frankly.

The sleep was horrible and we didn't feel comfortable enough even disrobing because of the bugs and filth around us.

The next day, when it was time to leave, we mentioned to management where we were going and they wouldn't even drive us to the main street because it was "out of their way".

All in all, it could've been a much better experience, had the staff shown a bit more ownership over the hostel. We weren't the only people who felt this way, as our friends who we met and were planning on staying the weekend, left even before we could.

Do not waste your time with this hostel, the ads are misleading.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MrHerscu
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review the place. I'm sitting with Scott now to get explanation of what actually happened. We do have signs and tell everyone to bring a flier with the map or ask locals to help assist in finding the place. Somehow, over 5000 travelers have found there way throughout the years.
The website says on the homepage it is not for everyone. Clearly, that is you.
Scott did drop you at the bottom of the hill because there is no vehicle in the World that can climb the hill. We assist with your backpacks if ask. Generally, backpackers carry their own backpacks when they travel. We do not have sherpas in Central America. The private treehouse was booked so what you were offered and stayed in are our private rooms. They are just as private as any room in any hostel.
If there were bugs on the bed we are sorry. Flying bugs die and fall. We do our best but the maids don't go in after noon. A simple request and we would have come and swept them off the top sheet and put a new sheet on for you.
NONE of the volunteers do drugs. I know very well that they do not even smoke marijuana. Your comments are complete lies. Your perceptions are valid but you should not just make up lies about people because you were unhappy.
We do not even have an energy rum punch. Our rum punch is natural with just Hibiscus, sugar and rum.
Unfortunately, the power goes out in the pueblo. There is nothing that can be done but wait for it to return. This is Nicaragua, we have no control over the countries energy issues.
You came on a Sunday the night after a huge full moon party and unfortunately, we can not restock on Sundays because distributors are closed. We have never run out of beer it was just an unusually large drinking crowd the night before.
Scott offered to take you to the road at 10:30 you refused and choose to walk. Also, he gave you a ride to Mombacho at your request.
As for first come first served that is what family style is. People sit down together and eat. The cutlery was placed on the table, as it is every night. There was more than enough food that night because all the volunteers ate after the few guest that were there, as they always do.
I'm sorry you had the epitome of a nightmare, that sounds scary. I hope you have recovered psychologically.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Poste Rojo did an amazing job on reminding my husband and me of how we belong to the world as a travller. It literrarly is a tree house. Getting to this place after a long hike and local bus rides was rewarding and adventurous. It didn't feel like a business. It felt more like a community. We instatntly made friends with other guests from all around the world. A german girl joined us for a trip next day. The managers were very friendly and "naturally" got drunk with the guests for partying at night. Waking up in the morning by howling monkeys' giggling was amusing and doing Yoga in the middle of jungle looking down the gorgeous mountain views was absolutely breathtaking. This place is a jewel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jiji l
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Yeah! You rock! Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed your experience. I wasn't there that night but I'm happy you had a great time. I hope the rest of your journey can be as pleasant. I'm sure the howler monkeys will miss waking you up.
The Woodlands, Texas, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in the private tree house. It was really awesome. We had a group of howler monkeys hanging out in a tree right beside us. I have to say, it's a bit of a hike to the tree houses, both private and the main house, so keep that in mind. We had a great time here, but we brought way too much stuff which made the hike a pain in the butt. Hiking aside, the views were great, dinner with everyone that evening was fun, and the nature was beautiful. The sunset over the hanging bridge was one of my favorite parts of my stay. Bring your camera! :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Thanks for the kind review. I'm glad you enjoyed the place. Yes it is very remote so packing lightly is a good suggestion. I hope the rest of your trip brings you more cool experiences.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Our stay here was one of my favorite nights in Nicaragua. It has an intimate feel, great views on the mountain, and the staff is so friendly you'll become best friends with them by morning. You can camp, sleep in dorms, or in hammocks. My boyfriend and I chose to put up a hammock on one of the camping platforms. The entire experience was amazing. Lots of mango trees, monkeys, and locals to play soccer with. They cook a family meal, and the bar is great. I'd definitely return to this place - it was something out of a dream.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JeffersonAveKateB
Geniusinger , Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 4 June 2016
Hola and thanks for your review, I realise it was quite sometime ago you stayed here & we never thanked for your feedback! We are also under new management now and have done a lot of work on The Treehouse. Hopefully if you are back in Nicaragua you can come and see the changes we have made here :) all the best - Jon