“a great night, with little sleep!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Treehouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
The Treehouse
Hamilton, Canada
“a great night, with little sleep!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here one night in a hammock which I thought I would be fine with because I have been napping in hammocks all over Central America but I never spent the night in one. It was a bit uncomfortable to say the least. They could probably re-hang the hammocks for them to be more comfortable, all of them were awkwardly strung. The communal dinner was ok but there was not really enough food to go around.
All this being said it is a really cool place to check out for a night. I saw (and heard) monkeys and frogs, and I mean its a treehouse!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for the review. Sorry you don't like our hammock hanging style. We will have someone look into where you slept and why the hammock would have been strung bad. I assume you were there when my mom was running the place. I had an unfortunate unexpected detainment. We normally try very hard to make sure there is way too much food for everyone. Maybe guest arrived late or unexpected people arrived after the meal had been set. Although we try to avoid it sometimes it just happens with communal meals. I apologize. Our meals highly regarded by most guest and are very affordable. $5 meals are getting hard to find. Even street food in Granada is hard to get at that price any more. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Flims, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

We went there 2 times, first we found it run by some volunteers and got the impression that it needs some work, and that it is a youngster party place. When we arrived about a mounth later we found it in much better shape, with a very warm and family style soul. We heard about the bad luck stories of the owner and the reasons why we had a different impression in the first place. So please do not hesitate to go there it is worth staying there for at least one night in the forrest, I recommend the hammock deck.

Room Tip: Can^t say anything about the rooms, but sleeping on the hammock deck is a real adventure.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank latok
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for coming back. My poor Mom was really trying for me. I had a very bad luck story with a car accident and some extreme corruption. I have since been freed and and clearing my name. We are working very hard to continue to upgrade and build on Poste Rojo. We have changed all staff and management and are building, repairing, cleaning and focusing on customer happiness. Safe Travels
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

This hostel was absolutely charming. In a stunning location, the people who work and volunteer at Treehouse Poste Rojo make the place. High up in a mountain, surrounded by roaring monkeys and good people, its impossible to imagine that anyone could have a less than wonderful time here. A highlight too is the magnificent family meals enjoyed each night - if your lucky enough to be experience the homemade chilli and cornbread, its delightful and a meal you would wish you can have every night of the week. Honestly, go to this wonderful hostel and and you will have an absolutely sensational time. Cannot thank the staff enough for the wonderful memories made!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Brendan B
PosteRojoMan, Manager at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you so much for spreading the word about us. I'm very happy to see such great reviews. We are really working hard to continue to upgrade service and the buildings. Soon we will have a new slide and a couple of great new treehouse up top.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Poste Rojo is very backpackery and a little hippie. Facilities are as you would expect in the middle of a forest. There's a monkey observation treehut from which you can often view a large group of howler monkeys from a very short distance. The sunsets are great.

I'm a traveller and not a vacationer, and as such I found it to be a fun little stop along the way. Some of the reviews here are clearly from people who are on a holiday with very different expectations. The place is rough around the edges but no more or less than the average backpacker hostel (apart from the outhouse ecotoilets, which are totally fine if you've ever used one).

One of the current volunteers may strike certain people as a little eccentric, but he helps create a fun atmosphere. There's drinking and games in the evening in the common room for those who want to hang out.

Poste Rojo is very nice. It won't totally blow your mind (I think some reviews here may be overcompensating), but it's definitely cool. That said, while some of the bad reviews can be laughed at, it would be nice for the owner not just to respond with sarcasm and passive-aggressiveness. I'm not sure if that's the right attitude, especially since this place advertises itself as being laid back etc.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank marek_indietraveller
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thanks for the review. We are working hard to continue to take away those "rough edges". I will be more careful with my sarcastic responses in the future. They are meant to be funny and our place is advertised as fun. It can be laid back or fun. Getting terrible reviews because someone heard a NIcaraguan vomit, a rooster crow, was awakened by monkeys in the morning, or someone brought a bus of school kids to the bar at night just seems like something I would be sarcastic and funny about. I'll watch myself better in the future.
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

I came on here to right a wrong. I found myself on tripadvisor trying to judge whether or not to stay at Poste Rojo during my trip, and due to the recent bad reviews I actually decided not to..... UNTIL I met a fellow traveller who pleaded with me to checkout it out. AND I AM EXTREMELY GLAD I DID!!

I have since decided that the previous reviews are from travelers who belong in the Best Western and cannot cope without luxury for one night.

I took the Bearded Monkey shuttle from Grenada at noon that brought me right up to the pathway (which is a light hike). As soon as I reached the top I knew I had made the right decision, the tree house is an incredible place. The volunteers were very welcoming and showed me to the hammock deck where I slept (for 4 dollars).

The lunch was awesome! And the dinner was awesome-er! After dinner the 6 other guests and I enjoyed all the monkeys climbing and lounging around RIGHT NEXT to the treehouse! Once the sun went down the people that wanted to (myself included) played some drinking games and had a very mellow/fun night.

Woke up the next morning to amazing crepes for breakfast!

Poste ROjo rocks!! Check it out for yourself! I'm glad I did, and you will be too!

Room Tip: Choose the hammocks to save yourself the walk at night!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Ryan D
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for the great review. We are still working hard to make the place better and even more customer friendly.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

There was a group of us traveling CA and someone from our travels had recommended we stay there. We stayed for one night as planned. The place was interesting to say the least, pretty remote and jungle like. Beautiful sunsets and very cool to see the monkeys swinging in the trees. The rooms were clean and the food was good. The outhouse and showers while enviro friendly left a little to be desired and while yes it is Nica it was a little too rustic for me. There was also the sweetest dog there that I would have loved to take home! The 2 staff members were kind of standoffish and didn't really make us feel that welcome and the one guy had jungle rot on his feet. I was a little weirded out by that but overall great experience. Definitely check it out!

• Stayed June 2013
PosteRojoMan, Owner at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for coming out and taking the time to give us a great review. We do have a lot of turnover in volunteers. It is just the nature of the business. We try to make sure they are all awesome. I know who you are speaking of and we did ask him to leave. 98% of our volunteers and mangers a very friendly and great. The poor guy with the jungle rot was tough. W\e worked on his feet with many doctors and cream. He came like that and it took months to clear up. I'm sorry you were weirded out.
Jungle rot is not a Poste Rojo thing. Safe travels
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Poste Rojo was a great place to hang out, relax in a hammock and watch the howler monkeys lumber through the trees all around you. Absolutely beautiful sunset and seeing the howler monkeys silhouetted in the trees was amazing. We had a great group there that got along and thus had a fabulous time partying the night away followed by a movie projected for all to see. Great time!

However, the staff was definitely lacking. The guy and girl that drove us to there from Granada gave me a horrible impression of the place right off the bat. They answered any questions with one word answers then blasted the music on the ride....I'm pretty sure so that they didn't have to talk to anyone. When we arrived we were shown the rooms and then the drivers disappeared. Considering the facilities at the treehouse, it would have been quite nice to have a tour of where everything was and to make sure that people were using the toilets, etc correctly. The staff at the place also was pretty useless. They seemed to be brand new and when asked if there were any places to go hiking or do something besides sitting in the hammocks I got a "yeah, probably. I guess you could walk down the road".

It's definitely a place beautiful place and worth a visit if you have a day to kill, especially if you need some down time. After falling in love with a similar place in Panama I was hoping for something even close to that experience. I planned on staying 2-3 nights, but left after just one because there really didn't seem to be much of anything to do here. Cool place, but if you're backpacking through Central America, I'd say you could miss it if you're going to Lost and Found in Panama.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
PosteRojoMan, Manager at The Treehouse, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Your 100% correct. Sometimes during the slow months good help is hard to find. I have since fired the staff that was inattentive to you and brought on a new more energetic crew. Everyone has a bad day but that doesn't excuse them for not taking care of you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granada
Jicaro Island Ecolodge Granada
#1 of 8 in La Laguna de Apoyo
Laguna Beach Club
Laguna Beach Club
#3 of 6 in La Laguna de Apoyo

Been to The Treehouse? Share your experiences!