“Great place to stay”

Il Padrino Hotel
Ranked #15 of 44 Hotels in Granada
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

This is a fantastic place to stay.

Toby Gabriella and Toby's dad are a great trio and will get you set up for your time in Granada. All renovations are complete and the pool is really wonderful on those oppressively hot Nicaraguan days.
They do have to clean up some housekeeping items like being available when you arrive to check in, cleaning the rooms and such, but these are minor items don't let it deter you. This is a great place.

They have set up the TV for the Olympic hockey final.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Il Padrino is a series of buildings on one street that's very close to the square and tourist strip, and confusingly, although it was a perfectly adequate stay, it didn't hit my expectations: not for any particularly negative reasons, but because it appears to be more of a hostel than a hotel - perhaps a hostel converting itself to a hotel. I typically like staying in a more conventional mid-range place, and was slightly confused when i arrived because i expected something different. Admittedly my taxi driver was quite crushing about it on the way: "I don't like that hotel. Is ugly". That's unfair, obviously, as the pretty garden and general property are immaculately kept. One of the outbuildings also has a pool, but from what i was told, it's undergoing a few renovations.

The property feels slightly smaller and potentially more cramped than the photos depict; the layout is very much open-plan, and in self-catering style with shared facilities. It's for the independent traveller with extra bucks to spend - up-market backpacker-esque - rather than a typical tourist hotel. The vibe is very relaxed, and the British owners are genuinely lovely: i'd argue the critical reviews below are a mischaracterization of both Gaby and Toby. They're both private and reserved people whose gentleness may have been misunderstood as indifference. A little British eccentricity made it even more homely for me, along with the very friendly travel advice they were more than willing to give without even having to ask.

Two things did really pain me though - first being the AC. Maybe someone with more scientific knowledge can expand on it, but somehow the temperature inside the fan-cooled Swedish-style room was much higher than the milder air outside. It was like it was heated - and with the fan blasting at Mach 5, it's difficult to sleep. I suspect the room not coming with towels is a BYO-backpacker hangover.

The second was the wifi, as mentioned before - it's currently only really usable in the main lobby area, which is not great if you want to call back home on Skype and have a private call. Apparently the reason is that extending it has so far meant putting in 50m of cabling through the building, which has been prohibitive. Fixing that is a relatively simple thing with a few wifi repeater units, which i know the hotel are looking at. For the meantime though, there is generally no wifi signal in the rooms that are any distance away from the main reception area.

Overall, it wasn't a fit for me personally, as i was expecting something else from the name and photos. If you're backpacking it or going the indie self-catering route with cash (no cards), it's exactly the kind of up-market hostel that's perfect to explore Granada from. However, if you're expecting a hotel-style stay, it's not quite there yet.

Room Tip: There are multiple properties, not just the main one - maybe ask to stay in the one with the pool, w...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Alex C
Stephen C, Owner at Il Padrino Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
I have travelled through most of the world for many years, at times for pleasure but mostly in pursuit of work for my small lighting company. Many times I was away for many months at a time.
When the hotel was built, I asked myself what would have I liked to have found as a weary traveller.
What I would have most appreciated would have been a spotlessly clean and well maintained place, Many times I had landed, need dictated, in hotels with cockroaches rushing across the wall to hide in some mysterious crack and a couple of times even with bedbugs in otherwise respectable hotels.
I would have liked an interesting looking place with a little character, not necessarily the Taj Mahal, and a relaxed atmosphere where one can walk around bare feet. I have always wanted to feel safe.
I would have liked my host to have been present but not oppressively so; there for a chat or a bit of information if I had wanted it and of course some basic services like laundry, internet, TV although the latter has never been a priority for me, and maybe a massage after 20 hours on the plane and hanging around in airports. My concept was not a middle class view of a medium priced hotel but a haven where I could fortify myself and prepare for the rest of the journey ahead. And yes, some times, nauseated by the thought of more fufu or gallo pinto, I craved for a plate of spaghetti olio, olio e peroncino or a salad mixed with decent oil as mama made it. Not that I wanted to 'cook' my way through the continents; just the occasional treat.
Is this a backpacker's place? Well maybe so in a good sense but not, I think, in the way that Alex intended. Maybe he has not been, or not been recently, to a backpacker's place where you pay 5 or 10$ per night. It would serve him well to visit one.
I think that Alex's 'catty' and well disguised comments were dictated by a small confrontation we had over what I considered strange behaviour on his part. A nice fellow otherwise.
Oh, and be aware, when a taxi driver in Granada says 'I do not like this place, I have a better one for you', it is because when he brings an unexpected client to a hotel, he receives a kick back. Inexperienced travellers be weary, the hotel where he brings you is not necessarily better!
Philomath
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We had a very nice stay at ll Padrino. The room was clean, bed was comfortable and the garden was beautiful. The owner, Stephen and his son, Toby and Gaby were gracious hosts. Very willing to help us with anything we needed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed at Il Padrino for an extended weekend end January and we couldnt have made a better choice. It is just a couple of blocks away from the buzz of the happening places, which makes for a quiet sleep. The rooms are spacious, the beds are comfortable and the hosts are very personable and helpful. An understated, tasteful gem - great value for the price, highly reccomended.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I'm currently on my 6th visit to Nicaragua and again stayed at Il Padrino. I last stayed here 2 years ago. Toby and the rest of the staff were very nice and very competent. Rooms do NOT have a/c but overhead room fan and shades provide sufficient cooling. On my next trip to Granada, I'm sure I'll stay here again. My only gripe is that the hotel does not accept credit cards.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 505badgolfer
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I am travelling as as single female and was looking for a hotel in Granada. This hotel has some great reviews, and a few not so great (we all know how this can happen). I decided to give it a try. I stayed there a few weeks ago, and intend to to back to stay when I return to Granada in a month or so. The hotel is in a good location, clean and I feel very secure. I have been coming to Granada for 10 years, and feel I know what to look for. Gaby and Toby have been excellent hosts (and I have NEVER seen any indication of drug usage!), they have been extremely friendly and have been very helpful about things to do around Granada ( although I have been coming here for years..there's always something new to explore!!).I am extremely satisfied with my stay here and would highly recommend this wonderful oasis in Granada to anyone looking for a great spot to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Prime location right in the heart if everything. Walking distance to all the attractions and best restaurants. Wonderful rooms with open glass doors, friendly staff, wifi, and the cutest puppy ever spot. Can't say enough about this place. For the price you can't beat it. It's a mini oasis in Granada

• Stayed January 2014