“Clean, Comfortable, Friendly and Affordable”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
Guesthouse El Carmen
Ranked #38 of 67 Granada B&B and Inns
Granada, Nicaragua
“Clean, Comfortable, Friendly and Affordable”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This is a nicely done Hostal. The rooms are spacious, clean and airy, tucked in the back of a beautiful garden. I enjoyed the quiet and the calm of my stay. There is a nice bar in the front of the old sala where you can chat with other guests or Arnold and Donalee, who are warm and welcoming. In addion the location is a perfect distance from the main town, allowing one to enjoy the quiet of Calle Consulado and at the same time walk a few short blocks to the action. And, you can't beat the price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Hostel Carmen is a nice clean hostel, the value is good, the location is good, the staff is nice, I felt very safe there. Only down fall was no hot water not even in sink to wash face. Also it would be nice if they could offer toast and coffee for breakfast but what can you expect you get what you pay for. A clean bed in a safe place.

• Stayed September 2013
Arnold_Jensema, Owner at Guesthouse El Carmen, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Sorry, but you can't please them all.

No hot water in any $12 room in Nicaragua, nor a free breakfast, I can tell you that. No A/C either if you might wonder. (And believe me people write me to ask if the $12 room comes with A/C).
We usually offer fresh coffee in the morning but you have to ask and you obviously didn't and rather save your grievance for an anonymous review on the Internet.

One advise: There are some very nice hotels in Granada with all the amenities and they charge $80-$100 and an additional $6-$8 for breakfast, book one of these, it would suit you better.

regards

Arnold Jensema
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed two nights here and had a great time. Arnold is very welcoming and the rooms have been recently redone. The garden is really nice and peaceful and there are lots of places to relax and hang out, and to enjoy the wifi.

It's nice that there is a small bar in the front where you can hang out with Arnold and other guests. It also keeps the rooms quiet because the bar is all the way in the front while the rooms are in the back.

It's just a few blocks from the main square, and is a very easy walk (of 10 minutes or so). Granada is small and you can walk the entire distance of the town in 15-20 minutes, which I have done several times.

I would definitely recommend Hostal El Carmen and would stay there again for sure.

Room Tip: There are suites and then smaller rooms. If you're just staying a night, the rooms are great. If...
Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mike v
New Denver, Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This quiet hotel has clean rooms and helpful staff. comfortable beds, nice courtyard, good amenities. A really nice way to ease into the Nicaraguan way of life. we stayed in a non ac room and found it cool enough, considering we had just come from -20 in Canada.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex J
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We stayed for a few nights at Hostal El Carmen while in Granada in November 2012, and had no complaints about our stay. We really enjoyed hanging out in the courtyard - very peaceful.

We were able to easily walk around town, and were comfortable walking back to the Hostal at night. There were many places to stay closer to the main plaza in Granada, but we enjoyed being a few blocks off the square, as it remained relatively quiet at night (and trust us - it could get very loud at night near the center of town - Nicaraguans love to celebrate and there were fireworks late into the night nearly every night!)

Arnold, the owner, was very friendly and made us feel very welcome at his Hostal. You could also tell he took great pride in keeping up the Hostal, and ran the place very well.

The one slightly negative aspect of the hostal was that there wasn't a door on the bathroom (can only speak to our room). This wouldn't influence our decision whether or not to stay here, but just wanted to point it out in case you are travelling with someone you aren't very comfortable with (although it is also very easy to step out to the hammocks in the courtyard if your travel companion needs a few minutes of privacy).

We would highly recommend staying here (and you really can't beat the value - great price !)

Thanks Arnold! (we are a little late in leaving our review, but both my husband and I were so happy to see so many other people enjoyed their stay as well!!)

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Great place to stay! I don´t really understand the comment that some people needed to take a cab to the center, because I walked from there everywhere. If it was in the dark, or at sunset time, I didn´t feel any danger (solo female traveller). It´s just few blocks from the central park, not in a bad area.

I was staying in a "regular" room, which meant that I had loads of space for me, a nice bed, fan and a private bathroom. The breakfast is not included, but when I ordered the pancake one, I was overwhelmed by the size of the 2 pancakes, so even breakfast is good value for money! I met someone who ended up staying in the studio - and that was massive! which a kitchen corner and fridge...

It´s quiet and relaxing place and you feel good in your room, there´s space and it´s clean. If I´d have a chance to go to Granada one more time, I´d stay there again!

The only negative that I can think of, is that I heard in one of the mornings the occupants of one of the studios blending their juice. I was up already for hours, but I´m sure everyone else heard the machine too, because the mornings are so quiet. So it would have been an issue if anyone planned to sleep longer than 8am.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2013

El Carmen is a little oasis in Granada,the room are spacious and extremely clean and set around a beautiful tranquil garden. Arnold and Donnally are attentive and informative and very friendly. The only downside for me is that is is a bit of a walk to the centre of town and it is advisable to get a taxi back at night for safety reasons. Having said that we stayed twice! They also have really good value studios.

Room Tip: All rooms are good value but the studios are exceptional!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple