“Modern oasis in Granada, Nicaragua”
Review of Los Patios Hotel

Los Patios Hotel
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Granada
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
“Modern oasis in Granada, Nicaragua”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Los Patios is a European owned B&B that is charming, quiet, modern with colonial touches.
Armando and Xiomara and all the staff at Los Patios is very friendly.
The breakfast is plentiful and delicious!

Room Tip: The suite has a great view and a large bathroom with large bathtub!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We were recommended to stay here because of our love of design and had no idea how wonderful a stay we would have. Amazing inside/outside architecture, breezes flowing easily ( tho fantastic aircon in room ) interior design to die for with locally made tiles throughout, the best breakfast I have ever been served in a hotel and the sweetest, kindest staff you could possibly hope for. There are too many details to name but as a professional photographer I took an enormous amount of photos there and we spent a lot of our 3 days in Granada swimming in the pool, relaxing in the hammocks and reading in the different parts of the hotel. The hotel is slightly on the outskirts ( only minutes from the central park tho ) but I enjoyed being away from the restaurants and bars and felt less like a tourist and more like a guest in a beautiful house.

Room Tip: The master suite of the house looks out over the pool and also the rooftops of Granada.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We loved every minute...right down the street from a great, (reasonable,) restaurant, very accommodating. Super decor!

Room Tip: Well worth the visit..don't let the outside, colonial structure, turn you away...Inside is the m...
1 Thank franktoo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We found this hotel to be top notch. Off the square in a residential neighborhood, which is a nice way to get to know the lay of the land. Close to good restaurants. Very clean, welcoming and excessively charming.
They have wonderfully sweet staff and good breakfast and the best coffee we found during our stay.
If I go back to Granada, I would spend more time here.

1 Thank Nora B
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Nice looking boutique hotel but an emotionally dead and unprofessional staff. A pig with lipstick. Rude and lacking any sense of customer service. Issue I have with smaller foreigner owned hotels, in developing countries is that the "owner" often still sees you as an intruder and not a "guest." Perhaps if the owners were nationals and less opportunistic Nordic then maybe they might be able to be less rigid, angry, and inject more "soul" into their establishment. Hotel worth avoiding as its reminds me of staying with the "in-laws." Simple requests were frowned at and flipped to appear as if it's your fault for having any type of standards. They also threatened to call the police on me over a $50 dispute. Really? You're that tacky? His name was: Max. Unbelievable how rude this person could be.

Internet is unstable, unreliable, and very 2001. Water was out first morning of my stay. Had to go to reception wrapped in a towel. Attention would have been informing the guests of a water issue. Not allowing them to wake up and do their business and have to go to the reception in a towel asking for water. Yuck. Bed sheets were filthy and not changed (see photo). When I showed the front desk, only excuses were provided. Pool had bodily fluids floating at the top. Looked like saliva or worse. When pointed out to the reception management was more frustrated at the fact of cleaning the fluid than the incident itself. Not looking for any more areas of disgust and NO attempt to clean the pool further. Ok pool but not if you get infected from lack of care. Construction at 7:30AM., Asked for a second towel, which was removed by housekeeping and had to ask twice for a replacement. When it was finally given, it smelled like an old gym towel. Pointed it out by asking for a fresh one- it was "my fault". Allowing me to walk away with a smelly towel. Service is getting another and not discussing the issue any further. Instead they had me keep the dirty towel. No water in the room for guests, no fans in food area so by the time they come to take your order you need another shower, no turn down service, no sign of "attention" or gratitude, no flowers in the room… NOTHING. Not even a nightstand next to the bed. Would cost extra? Exactly. It's as if you're inconveniencing them for even showing up. What this hotel lacks entirely is attention to the guest. They don't care. They don't want you just your money. They would truly prefer to rent the room to your wallet and avoid the guest all together if the could. So why be a guest at what's nothing more than a highly decorated "youth hostel" posing as a 3 star hotel?

Never an apology. Why? Because it's your fault for coming to "their house" and not staying in a real hotel. Why I avoided the spa and food here. No confidence in it being up to a higher level or the kitchen being clean for that matter. Look how they left the bed sheets and disregard public areas like the pool. And frankly, didn't want to spend money where its not appreciated.

To make matters worse they wanted to call the police on me. I said bring it on… call them now. My last night at the hotel after one of my guests leaves, I am approached by reception to inform me that they have a policy of charging $50 for anyone showing up as a visitor. Threatening me to call police if I didn't pay up. On the website it notes, $50 "per additional person", but that clearly pertains to two staying and arriving at the hotel at the same time, versus a friend or colleague coming to see you. I had invited friends to come enjoy the hotel and relax outside of the noisy, polluted, and beggar filled tourist center. Should someone come meet you for business, for dinner, a chat, or for whatever personal reason they want a take of it. As if they were hotel pimps. Unsophisticated and desperate.

Is this is how they treat their guest on the last night? Aggressive and demanding money while threatening to call the police? A hotel trying to gouge the guest of any revenue possible. If the "owners" are incapable in providing service, training their staff, and maintaining a hotel to a certain standard then they need to go into another business that isn't service driven. Or at least don't misrepresent themselves on their website by stating, " Our goal is to give our guests a unique experience in a peaceful place" " It is a place where you can either stay lazy spending your whole day at the pool or you" Can what? Be threatened by management to call police over a petty dispute? Not so "peaceful" but definitely a "unique experience."

There's a review regarding Pure Nica spa on the same street and it epitomizes the attitude of Los Patios. As long as the "cashier" is ripping you off and not the owner then "all" good, after all who cares about the client?

As much as I wanted to enjoy this hotel, unfortunately the staff didn't impress and had me want to leave. Fortunately, I was leaving the next day and didn't have to deal with their indifference. Had it been any longer I would have checked out and put myself in a hotel closer to the town center and in a safer neighborhood. The area is impoverished, dangerous, and scattered with vagrants. Refer to photos they don't show you on their website right outside the hotel. Not recommended unless you are used to barrios and the inner city.

I work way to hard to spend my money and any establishment that doesn't seem to want it doesn't deserve my respect. Suggest trying other options in Granada and not wasting your time with a hotel that doesn't care about you. The fact is THEY simply don't care and there is no other way to put it. Should the hotel respond to this review, expect excuses and being defensive as that's all I had while staying there. STAY ELSEWHERE they don't want you here just your money. Hotel Los Patios was a most unpleasant welcome to Nicaragua. Making Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Panama, and anywhere else much more worthy of tourism.

Added: Was approached by reception this is what she said: "We don't want your kind here. You brought "boys" to your room for sex and we have a campaign against that." WOW! They thought my friends were prostitutes and I was her for sex trade. When I told them how dare they make that accusation, Management came to my room and said, "We want you the (vulgar curse word) out. You must get the (vulgar curse word) out and go right now." "My kind?" All in front of other guests. Sounds homophobic and discriminatory. If any of their accusations were true, it appears they are ok with having friends they assume are prostitutes as long as they get a $50. take. There you have it. Be warned.

Room Tip: Stay at other hotel. Avoid.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
17 Thank A M
LosPatiosgranada, Owner at Los Patios Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
I have read your review on Trip Advisor and I am sorry to hear about your experience at Hotel Los Patios. After reading your comments, I discussed the matter with each of my staff. We are a new hotel and I appreciate your feedback in the areas where we can improve. Our goal remains the same to provide a good service to our guests that they would have a positive experience at our hotel.

Apparently, we were having problems with our water pump the day of your stay and we could have handled the situation better.

It is interesting, though; that your experience was quite different from the other guests who stayed in Los Patios during the same days as you did, April 2-4th. Their comments can also be seen on Trip Advisor. They enjoyed a pleasant stay at Los Patios and had a good experience.

With reference to your pictures and comments on Granada and/or Nicaragua, in all fairness, please keep in mind that Nicaragua is the poorest country in Central America and is still developing. There are many beautiful places to visit here. You should put into context your negative comments about this country. Our neighborhood is made up of local people whom we know, as my husband and I and two children lived here for a couple of years before our home was converted into a boutique hotel. We were never scared or frightened in our surroundings. It is a shame that your focus is of the poor people here in Granada that cannot afford to repair their homes. Perhaps Nicaragua was not a good fit for you.

In any case, I do apologize for your experience in Hotel Los Patios. We will work on the areas that you commented on to improve.

Kind regards,
Los Patios Hotel
Ingeborg Winther
Owner
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Fantastic small boutique hotel in Granada. Wonderfully modern in design, with features including a giant chess board! 6 rooms, all with great air conditioning and fans, tv, large walk in shower. All very clean. You even get given a mobile phone to use whilst you stay, if you should need one! There's an open plan kitchen with an honesty system so you can help yourself to drinks all day. Breakfast is amazing - fruit, juice, coffee, cheese & fresh bread, pancakes with honey and lime (you must try them, they're so tasty), or eggs & bacon. Service is very friendly. Pool is most welcome to dive into and cool off, plenty of sofas, a day bed, and hammocks to chill out in. This is the perfect hotel for singles, couples and friends. The only small downside when we were there was that there was a family with two small boys staying, and its really not the place for kids to hang out as there isn't much for them to do. Not the hotel's fault at all.

There is one negative review on this site - please ignore it. We were staying there at the same time, and we witnessed the falling out between the guy and the management. Subsequently, he was asked to leave, and he did so ungraciously. Please don't be off put by the comments about dirty sheets or bathroom, as this certainly wasn't the case anywhere else in the hotel, and I think it's just a case of sour grapes.

We would highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for a fantastic, modern oasis that you love to come back to after exploring what Granada has offer.

1 Thank jessw1000
Helsinki
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Excellent hotel. I loved the place. It was so beautiful.
I was here with my husband in just a standard room, but the room where perfect! The servicelevel was higher, than most of the places i have stayed and payed for a suite.

The room was very clean and the pool was to. So nice to get up in the morning and be able to go outside and take a swim in the water. The spa-area looked nice as weel, although i did not try it out.

If you want to get away to a peaceful hotel with great facilities and lovely serviceminded staff - this is the place!
Very romantic place to be with your partner and with your family as well i would imagine!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple