“Colonial dining with great musica”
Review of Encuentros - CLOSED

Encuentros
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood, Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Encuentros Restaurant Re-opened After Remodling And Making A New Menu! Come By And Enjoy The Relaxed Atmosphere And Good Food!
Europe
“Colonial dining with great musica”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I'm glad I did not consult Trip Advisor prior to dining here. In fact, on this trip, I did not consult TA at all and I did not have any dining disasters. We really enjoyed the atmosphere here even if it is quiet. The building is gorgeous and they had some great music playing. The wine is very reasonably priced and the lentil salad is excellent. We actually ate here twice and did prefer the first time more than the second. Don't go for any of the exotic dishes like chicken cooked in a plum sauce (what was I thinking?). Stick to what is local and you'll be fine. We did not have any surprises on the bill.

• Visited January 2013

Granada, Granada, Nicaragua
“Tax and tip inflate bill by 40%”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

When my boyfriend and I entered Encuentros we were quite pleased by the appearance and decor, as well as the ambient music. It was empty other than a table up front with some foreigners/expats that were barefoot. We actually took a few photos to send to a friend back home, commenting how this would be a great concept in Canada. After checking out the wine list, which had some selection, as well as decent prices, we commented that it would be our regular bar for the next six months that we are living here. However the service was a bit slow, and when we asked for the bill, suddenly our 2 glass of wine at $2.50 a glass came to $8.50. While I expect to see 15%IVA tax, as well as 10% autograt (tip), that does not equal $3.50, or 40% of the bill. When we inquired about the bill breakdown, we were informed that the IVA was 25%, and the tip put on was more then the usual 10% as well. I was not aware that in Nicaragua one can just choose the tax rate that they wish to charge on their goods/services. Of course I later asked some friends from Granada about that, who informed me that the IVA tax is fixed at 15%. Needless to say, after being charged 40% extra for made up taxes and an inflated tip, we decided that we never be visiting Encuentros again while we live here. Now I can see why the place was so empty. The place has potential due to its unique atmosphere, but when the staff siphon money off the bills, give poor service, or fail with the food, it must be difficult to create repeat customers.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Lana B
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“since the re-opening: AMAZING!!!”
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I`ve been living for a few months in granada. Encuentros is a beautiful place with a lot of style. Before the re-opening a few things, like service and food, were not so good. But since the re-openings this december everything is simply amazing. The new menu is great, a lot of choices and varieties, good and friendly waiters and the bartenders make the best cocktails in town!!

• Visited December 2012
Managua, Nicaragua
“Had so much potential!”
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I couldn't agree more with the reviews below. I went to Encuentros when it first opened last year and it wasn't quite fantastic yet, but since it was brand new and just opening, I gave it another try while my family was visiting over the holidays and we had two back to back meals and had an awesome time and some really great food. I went back again in February of last year and the service was terrible, we had a rude waiter who forgot our order and when we finally received our food it was really not good at all. The owner and his son couldn't have cared less about the bad service or bad food, which was even more frustrating. I returned again to give it one final shot this fall and was so disappointed by the entire ambience and quality of food, I'd not go back, what a disappointment because it really did have a great start and such potential.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank kmmmdx
Granada Nicaragua
“Big disappointment”
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I reviewed this place when it first opened and was charmed by it. Lots of good things to say and held out for a cool place to go to.

Since then, it has become a place that is not very good on many fronts. Food is so-so and most of the time the delicious sounding special are not available. Service is friendly , but poor as no trained staff and understaffed when they get more than 10 people in the place.

Still looks cool, but that is skin deep.

• Visited October 2012