“More than a school”

Casa Nica Spanish School
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Casa Nica Spanish, your Spanish language school in Granada, Nicaragua. We are a cooperative of women that has been teaching Spanish since 1998. We tailor Spanish classes according to your skill level and interests, and we make sure that you have a lot of fun while meeting people and getting to know our community through fabulous afternoon activities. We can also provide home-stay accomodations which will further enhance your learning experience while giving you the opportunity to make friends with a local family. And, if you are interested volunteering, we can connect you with our favorite local organizations that do amazing things to improve our community.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“More than a school”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I have recently just finished 6 weeks studying Spanish at Casa Nica School in Granada, and it really was a wonderful experience. I originally decided to return to Nicaragua to study Spanish, because it was a country which interested me when I travelled through Central America at the start of 2011, and because of the value for money that it offers the tourist. I am glad to say that this small tropical nation still offers terrific value for money, especially in terms of one-on-one classes, and the home-stay which includes three meals a day.

Aside from the value for money, what really sets this school aside is that they do more than just teach. They are always willing to help out with excursions, and I spent time outside of school, enjoying evenings with my teacher, and friend, Marlon, giving me even more time to practise my Spanish. Vanesa, Raquel et al really do care about their students, as do the host families, and nothing seems too much to ensure the comfort of their students.

The other thing to note is that Granada offers a safe and beautiful environment in which to learn Spanish, and more importantly, there is very little English to be found. This means that the full immersion experience is heightened, and thankfully, Nicaraguan Spanish is one of the clearer versions of the language spoken, and having studied Spanish in both Argentina and Spain, I say this from personal experience.

The lessons were varied and enjoyable, patiently taught to students of all levels, and all in all, I highly recommend this excellent school run by caring people.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Drummond_Bass

Groningen, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I've been in Nicaragua for 9 weeks. The first 4 weeks I had Spanish lessons at Casa Nica, the second 5 weeks I stayed in the school while volunteering. Both experiences were excellent! I'm still surprised how much I've learned in such a short time. All the people are really friendly and willing to help with anything. It felt like my 'family' for nine weeks. So if you're planning to take Spanish lessons, I strongly recomend Casa Nica!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Danielle385
Los Angeles, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“I learned a lot for a beginner”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I came to Nicaragua with the hopes of learning some Spanish, being that what I learned in high school did not stick with me. On my first day I could not speak a complete sentence, but my wonderful one-on-one teacher Katia had me holding conversations by the end of my 5th day. I would absolutely make this school a stop if I returned!

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Jamie F
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Casa Nica is the best”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I had one-on-one classes with an intuitive, fun, sensitive, and smart teacher for two weeks, four hours a day. I was sad when my classes with Raquel were over. I had an excellent home stay with a delightful Nica family. Also Marlon taught me lots of Nica birds, Vanessa and Raquel lead us on many exciting "adventuras," all of which greatly improved my Spanish. Raquel fit my lessons to my level of Spanish and my personality. I wish I could have stayed longer. Now at home I see that Casa Nica kicked my Spanish to a whole new level.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Christine D
Prescott, Arizona
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Right price, good lessons but no follow through :(”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

My boyfriend and I spent two weeks studying at Casa Nica. We each paid $100/week which was a great price. The teachers were flexible and friendly. We enjoyed our lessons for the most part, the teachers listen to our desires and directed the lessons appropriately. The school is a little small and sometimes can be crowded with students which makes for a lesson with distractions.
Although we enjoyed our lessons there are two things that we found unsatisfying. 1) Lessons could have been better planned in advance (I dislike when a teacher takes up class time to make photocopies or find material. I think these things should be done before class)
2) Before my last days of class I asked my teacher for a certificate and she said of course. Unfortunately, on my last day she failed to have this ready for me. I gave her my email and she promised to email it to me the next day but no luck. It has now been a month and I have emailed several times asking for the certificate and she still has not sent me one. I am disappointed in their lack of responsibility in this regard and find it disrespectful as I was hoping to use it in my portfolio.

Visited March 2013