“Great hostel!”

Ranked #8 of 67 Granada B&B and Inns
Madison, Wisconsin
“Great hostel!”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

El Momento is easily one of my all-time favorite hostels. The staff was very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful, happily answering all of our questions with useful information. Located on a quiet street just a few blocks from the central park and la Calzada. Beautiful facilities, lots of lounging areas and hammocks in a great central courtyard. Computer and iPads for guest use, and they even had the NCAA basketball tournament on TV. They have a bar/restaurant and also a guest kitchen, which although small had everything it needed.

The dorm room ($8/night) was large, but some privacy from as it was kind of divided into four corners. The beds were very comfortable and each had a fan. Bathroom was connected to the dorm and was clean. The second night we stayed in a private room w/ shared bath ($18 for 2). Again a very comfortable bed and plenty of space for all of our things.

Highly recommended hostel in Granada!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I have been traveling for 8 months, and never have I encountered such a hostel where you pay about 10 USD and where you receive such an excellent service. The hostel's courtyard is an excellent place where to chill out, the rooms and shared bathrooms are very clean. you can feel that the staff cares about each guest!
I definetly recommend this place!

Room Tip: dont stay in the room next to the hostel's kitchen, although it is very nice you can smell the o...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
HostalElMomento, Owner at Hostal El Momento, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you for response and taking your time to write about us here, we get many great comments about our courtyard and that we are clean but it is important for us that we continue this way. As we are also a small hostel we can try and give our guests more attention than some of the larger hostels which is an advantage for us and the guest.

We do however think you maybe getting us mixed up with another hostel with some of your other comments and so we just want our future guests to know.

For your tips you wrote about us cooking oil at 6am for breakfast and the 4 bed room.
None of our rooms actually have 4 beds the most we have is 3 beds in 2 of our rooms.
Regarding the cooking of oil, the guest kitchen does not actually open until 7am so it could not have been this one and our staff arrive at 7am for breakfast at 7.30am. Usually our restaurant is not busy until 8-9am in the morning and most mornings our guests have either continental or cereal and fruit so we do not really cook much with oil in the mornings. The reason for a late breakfast start is because we do not want to wake guests up with noise from the pans and crockery..

It may have been another hostel that does this ??

Thanks again and we hope that you enjoyed your time in the country.
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Right from the moment we walked in, the staff were very friendly and helpful-especially for someone who speaks minimal Spanish (me). Information was clear on what was included in our room and travel/excursion options were made available right from the beginning.

Use of a kitchen is a big bonus but if you don't want to cook, they run a little restaurant within the hostel and the food is amazing. I think we both cleaned our plates of the Thai red curry we ordered. Beer and other drinks are also available to buy.

They were more than willing to help us plan our way into and out of Granada. Every person we encountered wanted to help us and if they didn't know an answer to something, tried to find someone else who could help us.

Room Tip: If choosing Room #2...beware that it is right beside the kitchen. It wasn't a problem for me bu...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
HostalElMomento, Owner at Hostal El Momento, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Thank you choosing your stay with us then taking the time to write here, most of the staff can speak English and if there is something that cannot be understood I am usually on property.
We do offer tours but we also have information on tours you can do on your own as not all guest like a tours or it is not on their budget.

We get many many compliments about food and only very occasionally a guest will say we are expensive or did not enjoy it. We decided to offer dishes that are a little different to the norm but I know our prices are very reasonable, the same curry in another restaurant we know is double the price of ours.

I will also let the staff know you commented on their work, they will be pleased.
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Reviewed 29 March 2013

While backpacking around Nicaragua, my friends and I found that Granada was a great place to stay because of its accessibility both around the city and to other cities and towns (Masaya, Managua, San Juan del Sur, etc.). Over the course of a week and a half, we ended up staying in Granada and at the Hostal El Momento three times! We kept coming back because it was clean, the staff was extremely friendly, and because the location is great! I would definitely recommend splurging on the private room/private bath ($40) if there are 3-5 people with you, however, we also stayed in a room with a public bath for one night and found that to be a great stay too! I would highly recommend this hostal to anyone wanting a nice stay will in Granada.

O, and if you need anything (shuttle, taxi, tour, etc.), I would definitely ask the front desk! Normally, I wouldn't recommend that because you get majorly ripped off, but we were able to get a couple taxis and shuttles that were very reasonably priced!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
It is always nice for us when guests return and you did twice and so thank you twice for returning and one more time for your review. Yes our 2 rooms with 3 beds can take 4 people as 1 of them is a queen so this does happen alot either for couple or groups of females or males.
We work with a 2 small taxi companies who are very reliable and never let us down, you can sometimes get cheaper but you just do not know how reliable they can be, then there are others who are more expensive if they have a brand new vehicles.
Most transport costs in town are very similar priced except for the taxi drives who wait for Transnica or Ticabus.
Thanks again and we hope your friends got to hear about your trip to Nicaragua.
Burke, Virginia
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I actually found this hostel through TripAdvisor. I've been to Granada multiple times and I love it. I'm interested in trying different hostels and places to stay in Granada because it is touristy and has plenty of places to stay. I did enjoy this hostel. In the span of a week I stayed in two rooms at El Momento. The first room I stayed in was the room with 3 bedrooms. For one person, it had plenty of room. At first I wasn't sure what to think since I felt like people walking by could look in at me or hear anything I was doing but it ended up not being bad. I was also a little skeptical about sharing a bathroom but the bathroom turned out to be really clean. It was never that congested and I didn't have to wait to use the bathroom (at least while I was there). The second room I stayed in was towards the back (don't remember the room number). It was a single bed but had it's own bathroom. At first it seemed a little cramped but I think that was because I had been in a bigger room previously. The room was clean and the bathroom was nice. The TV was nicely positioned to watch TV from my bed. The staff was extremely friendly and even knew me by name by the end of my time in El Momento. The breakfasts were good and fairly cheap. The front sala was nice as well since it had a large flatscreen TV (perfect for watching futbol!).

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Hi Joseph it was great to have you here with us and we appreciate that you have given so much information for future guests to read.
In your first room that you were in we now have 2 lots of curtains so guests cannot see in, the 2nd room is a little smaller but very popular with our guests as it also has the bathroom ensuite.
We hope that you get to return as we know you visit Granada and you can watch more futbol with us :)
Las Salinas
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I really like this hostel. It was recommended to me by two friends who stayed there: Pip and Monica. I've stayed three times! Each time the service was impeccable and the place itself, immaculate. Beds in the dorm room are double - almost unheard of and the room is spacious with a big lock box perfect for putting all your valuables in not just your passport. When I get back to Nica, I'll definitely head back to El Momento.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Thank You Katherine for taking your time to write this review and yes we do hope that you get to return to not just us but Nicaragua. Our dorm has become very popular even for those that do not like dorms as we have made it semi private and like you said it is very spacious.
Hope to see you again !
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Stayed for one night. First timers at a place with a communal shower with lukewarm water. The room we stayed in (#5) was the only upstairs room which was nice for privacy but really hot. Price is fair.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank ErikaVita
HostalElMomento, Owner at Hostal El Momento, responded to this review, 10 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we were obviously sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, sometimes before guests arrive it is managing expectations and so we do try to explain exactly what type of hostel we have on our website with our blog/twitter and Facebook.

We do have more rooms with bathroom en suite but they were booked the nights you came and our water is only lukewarm because it is heated by the sun in the pipes and as with all the other hostels in town we offer cold water showers.

Regarding the heat in this room we did install a sunroof to let in more air and light but the only way to keep the temperature down in Granada is to install AC which would raise the prices on the rooms and this of course would change the type of accommodation we have and type of clientele.

As we do get many good reviews sometimes guests expect that we do have hot water,ensuite bathrooms and AC and are disappointed when they arrive to find we do not.
Some of guests have written that our hostel feels like a Hotel, that can go for and against us as some guests again expect Hotel amenities.

Our ultimate aim is to offer the guest more but keeping the prices down, we have tried to do that in only our first year open but we know it takes time with a new business.