“Quiet, chilled”

Ranked #8 of 66 Granada B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Quiet, chilled”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Nice friendly staff, particularly Chris the very knowledgeable UK owner. Lovely chilled-out space with hammocks and tropical patio-garden. Rooms are rather dark, but this is the style of house, where the windows look inwards. Great location, one block from the parque. Book early for pick of private rooms.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Cyberpanda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Chur, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Our fist 2 nights in Nicaragua we stayed in this nice hotel in an old colonial house in the heart of the old town of Grananda. Very friendly owner, uncomplicated to book via internet. Organised a nice tour for us in the surroundings of Granada. Room okay with private bathroom and nice restaurant on the premises. Would go back there any time!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank markk50_33
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Hostal El Momento was a great place to stay for my first few nights in Nicaragua. Christian, the owner, was especially helpful in communicating with me through email so I could make a reservation and also book transportation from the airport to his hostel. My flight did not arrive until 9:30pm in Managua, and instead of staying overnight in that city, I decided to book private transportation through Hostel El Momento to get me straight to Granada by 11pm. The driver was kind and professional, but most importantly, got me to Granada quickly and safely late at night. So, that was much appreciated!

The hostel was super clean, without bugs, beautifully decorated, and there was plenty of space. The whole staff was very friendly and called me by name during my stay. I stayed in the dorm and the beds were HUGE! It was awesome. There are lockers to keep your stuff. There was also a list of activities/excursions with prices and the staff was helpful in helping me determine what I wanted to do for the day. They even went out of their way to call a couple of kayaking places, since I was a solo traveler and wouldn't be kayaking with a group. Also, I loved getting my granola yogurt every morning! They have excellent food for modest prices. Can't say enough about the great staff!

Only reason this place gets 4/5 is because of the atmosphere. It's a very relaxing atmosphere, which is nice, but all the guests pretty much keep to themselves. There were not a lot of opportunities to strike up conversations with people, and even though there is a bar, I didn't see anyone get a drink during my three nights there. On my second night, it was about 11pm and a good conversation finally started up between me and four other travelers. However, within ten minutes of talking, one of the staff members came out from the lobby and told us to shush. Which led to us whispering and the conversation ending early, even though the doors to the dorm room were closed. They do post that they have quiet hours, and I definitely was not looking for a party hostel, but the overall vibe of being able to quickly meet people and make friends did not seem present here.

Overall, I truly enjoyed my stay here and it was just what I needed to get myself together before moving on to Ometepe. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Alyssa G
HostalElMomento, Owner at Hostal El Momento, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you for posting a review and sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I apologise if the staff member shushed you, my guests should not be approached in this manner. We do ask when guests check in to speak with us if there are any complaints because it is very difficult for me to know exactly what happened that night.
If someone in your party was being noisy at 11pm you have to remember the door to the dorm where you were staying may have been closed but you would have been right next to a private room which does not have glass in all the windows and the courtyard does echo easily, you can hear the street from the back of the hostel.

We have guests who say we are too noisy, others who love the atmosphere and guests who meet and party with others and then others who say the opposite.
We do not have control over guests personalities and leave it up to the guests to make their own interactions with others, it will really depend on when you come and who is here.

Our restaurant and bar has been doing extremely well so to say we did not sell any drinks in the time you were here is very misleading and not true.
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 days and had a wonderful experience. The staff were some of the most kind and accommodating people I met my entire trip. They're happy to arrange any taxi services for you, as well as plan day trips to Laguna de Apoyo. They don't have a communal kitchen but their restaurant and bar are great! Very good food for decent prices. If you want to wander out for food and drinks, the more happening area of Granada is just around the corner!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
HostalElMomento, Owner at Hostal El Momento, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I will pass on your wonderful comments about the staff.
Yes we can arrange any tour for guests but are just as happy to explain to our guests if they want to do a tour on their own instead of with a company.
Our restaurant does very well even though we are close to all the bars and restaurants in Granada partly due to our prices and because we offer food a little different.

I do need to point out and I will speak to the staff about this but I concerned that you were not shown around the hostel because we do have a communal kitchen, it could have been you arrived late at night and did not know or a new member of staff forgot.
We know this important for many travelers and we have cooking facilities and a fridge and there is plenty of space in the communal area to eat.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The people that work here are *very* nice, friendly, and helpful. (They are also tolerant of my ability to understand some Spanish and my total lack of speaking ability - I'm taking classes while in Granada!)

The courtyard is beautiful and relaxing.

My room (#4) is spacious and clean with great fans. I have not had to wait for a shower nor bathroom at all.

This place is wonderful!

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Granada, Nicaragua
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

This was the best hostel I have stayed in in Granada. The dorm is big with nice, comfortable beds an fans and it is very clean.
The staff here are great and very helpful.
The food is nice and reasonably priced, good vegetarian options too.

Really nice, relaxing place.

• Stayed May 2014
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed in Grenada for 3 nights with a friend and we enjoyed the city and hostel so much we decided to stay another. The atmosphere at the hostel is relaxing and comfortable, the courtyard has plenty of open seating and hammocks for lounging which is nice. We stayed in room 1 and loved it! It was very spacious and had two fans to keep it cool at night. Juan, the day attendant was exceptional! He was so friendly and professional, he helped us with directions, suggestions, and tours. The hostel was very quiet at night, but we felt comfortable coming back late from drinks and they have a night guard which made us feel safe. Overall, we had a wonderful experience for a great price and will definately be recommending El Momento to friends!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends